• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FR on Auckland NZ

U

UpYoz_olo

Well, I don't know about you but I have visited quite a few houses and they all seem too cold for me if they do not have heat pumps installed. In summer, it is usually not a problem as long as the temperature in the house is about 10 degrees warmer than outside at night. For a few weeks during the depths of winter, the temperature drops to below 5 degrees overnight, making it an extremely frosty start to your monrings (My solution is to set the timer to turn on the heater a couple of hours before I wake up as I do have the heater on while I sleep).

I wonder if anyone has taken on the government grant for doing the insulation and how much of a difference does it make. I heard a few comments over the radio that it was definitely worth doing the insulation. Anyone has any idea how much it costs to insulate the house roughly? Of course, every house is different but is there some kind of ball-park figures to expect?

How can Auckland be cold? Unless you're in the Waitakeres or some parts on the North Shore, temperature is perfect in any Auckland suburds. We never ever used any heating, only the odd woolie when the mercury is real low. Most pakehas even sleep in singlets and shorts.

Please don't embarass yourself complaining Auckland is COLD.

:oIo:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can Auckland be cold? Unless you're in the Waitakeres or some parts on the North Shore, temperature is perfect in any Auckland suburds. We never ever used any heating, only the odd woolie when the mercury is real low. Most pakehas even sleep in singlets and shorts.

Please don't embarass yourself complaining Auckland is COLD.

:oIo:

I am not going to defend myself. Everyone is conditioned differently. What I said about the temperature dropping close to zero overnight for about a couple of weeks (usually in June) is true. Everyone is free to experience the conditions in Auckland or other places for themselves. Of course, if you are staying in nice hotels with thermostats and air conditioning, it will be different.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is probably talking about Auckland street in Singapore. There are people in Singapore who have never left the shores, not schooled and therefore not aware of such things as the 4 seasons.

I am not going to defend myself. Everyone is conditioned differently. What I said about the temperature dropping close to zero overnight for about a couple of weeks (usually in June) is true. Everyone is free to experience the conditions in Auckland or other places for themselves. Of course, if you are staying in nice hotels with thermostats and air conditioning, it will be different.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is probably talking about Auckland street in Singapore. There are people in Singapore who have never left the shores, not schooled and therefore not aware of such things as the 4 seasons.

I normally ignore him but I just wanted to put up a final statement so that people who are new to the forum won't be misled by him.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, in this day and age of ever increasing energy costs and dwindling resources, new houses are now being built to a higher insulation standards (including double glazing) and a subsidy is in place to retrofit older houses to bring them up to speed.

Boss, your grammar standard dropping.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss, your grammar standard dropping.

"being built to a higher insulation standard" is correct.

Alternatively, I could have said "being built to higher insulation standards".

I considered the term "standard" to be a collective noun describing a collection of clauses regarding insulation when constructing the sentence. However, using the plural "standards" is correct too. The "a" would then be dropped.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hello.... you got permit to correct Sam or not?
Only Sam got permit to correct ppl grammars.:biggrin:

I have no problems with others correcting me if I make a mistake. In fact, I appreciate it very much.

However, when people make errors correcting what is not an error, it means they need to go back to school. :p

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi little fish,

whats the best way for me to go about if i want to purchase a house or apartment in auckland? Is it better to apply for PR via NZ immigration or sign on with a job agency(i dont think there are one year contracts, which is what I am looking for)? I have an Australian degree (commerce) and I have been working as a registered nurse for the past 5 years...many thanks for your reply..

Yes its cold in Auckland this year with some places hitting zero even in the day...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Yes its cold in Auckland this year with some places hitting zero even in the day...

What a load of crock.:rolleyes: There is no place in the Auckland region that has been anywhere near zero during the daylight hours.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi little fish,

whats the best way for me to go about if i want to purchase a house or apartment in auckland? Is it better to apply for PR via NZ immigration or sign on with a job agency(i dont think there are one year contracts, which is what I am looking for)? I have an Australian degree (commerce) and I have been working as a registered nurse for the past 5 years...many thanks for your reply..

I am not qualified enough to give advice on buying property as I am not rich enough to be owning multiple properties in NZ. You can try http://www.sorted.org.nz for some advice.

As for immigration, I think they have tightened the rules a lot more since I arrived. I imagine it would be pretty hard to get in with just a bachelor degree and no job offer. The employers here are also turning down foreign applicants in favour of local ones (based on stories I have heard) as there are many Kiwis also looking for jobs (plus the Kiwis returning home due to the global economic downturn). If you need a job to come in, I would suggest that you wait it out for a couple of years until the economy recovers before trying again in earnest. Alternatively, you can try for those jobs where there is an acute shortage (I think nursing is one). Job agencies are not going to be of much help currently. The employers here prefer to hire on reputation rather than taking on someone unknown.

Sam is right about it not being that cold during the day. It is only cold at night and around dawn. The coldest daytime temperature would still be around 10 degrees.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget the commerce degree for the time being. Registered nurses are considered gold in OZ/NZ/Canada/UK/US.

Get in touch with a Nursing recruitment agency and they will do the rest. Once in, you can switch.

http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/nursing-new-zealand.php

Hi little fish,

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I admire your courage. Hope you get there ASAP, have some fun, kena a few knocks here and there and start running back to Spore within 5 yrs. I wager you on that bro.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks, i am actually applying to either:
a: Move my job there since i take care of APJ or
b: move my family there and jet between NZ and SG.

What i am aiming for is:
1. My son don't need to serve NS and not be discriminated against just by being a Singaporean with reservist obligations. I will try not to get him the pink IC as its not worth anything much.
2. A retirement home so that i will be on par with the Malaysian/Indonesian/Pinoy/China(+HK)/India/US/UK/Taiwan/ FTs who have a hinterland to retire to.

Once i am settled there, i will of course be back here to work more but once i grow old and companies don't want me anymore(as they discriminate against older workers) then i will move back to NZ and live on savings/bank interests and sell my HDB and not look back.

What interests me about NZ is the space there and low housing/cars. I know other things like food is high but hey, what do i have to lose by establishing a hinterland i can run to like the FTs? I personally know of a gentleman here who has houses and can run back anytime to HK/UK/Africa/Netherlands/US. He is in a much better position than me.

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
well i think the only thing stopping you is your spouse...sometimes if the spouse is head strong there may be unnecessary marital conflicts...and also whats your cash burn rate...

as much as i dislike SG (even chip goodyear can turn down temasek's offer despite cash being thrown at him), like you say its good to have a hinterland to return to. And since this place is dense, there are still business opportunities to be had...

all the best...hope to join you in the future

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

Prior to migrating to Ca, i used this scam company ended up a few hundred $$ poorer. www.newjobz.co.nz

Fellow samster beware - Especially there is a double tougue lady (Mahesh Dhurvas). I was naive then fell for the sales talk.

U

UpYoz_olo

Dear all,

Prior to migrating to Ca, i used this scam company ended up a few hundred $$ poorer. www.newjobz.co.nz

Fellow samster beware - Especially there is a double tougue lady (Mahesh Dhurvas). I was naive then fell for the sales talk.

You are such a lucky poor bastard :biggrin:

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

Immigration consultancy in New Zealand now is regulated since this year. Do your homeworks by scouting around for the best one to take on your case.

You were lucky to be out of pockets for mere hundreds.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
well i think the only thing stopping you is your spouse...sometimes if the spouse is head strong there may be unnecessary marital conflicts...and also whats your cash burn rate...

as much as i dislike SG (even chip goodyear can turn down temasek's offer despite cash being thrown at him), like you say its good to have a hinterland to return to. And since this place is dense, there are still business opportunities to be had...

all the best...hope to join you in the future

Thanks, wife is very supportive luckily. Infact it was wife who told me she cannot stand SG anymore, her family too. My best friend and another close friend all went to US. One of them is back but thats because he already established his hinterland already.

Like the FTs here, we should focus on working in SG but retiring back in whichever hinterland we can establish. As the old Chinese saying goes, A cunning/clever rabbit has 3 hideouts. We unfortunately only have one red dot, where can we run to? Pulau Ubin?

At least the FTs still have a place and don't have to be discriminated against.Thats why they can be so garang and more daring and "hiong" than us. Hard to do business here except for food and maybe education, i did 2 before but problem here is the people cannot think for themselves but blindly copy others.

Once you have a viable business, you only have like a 3 month headstart before the whole market is flooded with copy cats. Much of our people also cannot accept new things, new technologies even new game types(non-innovators), hence very difficult for new markets. I remembered when i brought in lan linked Xbox for FPS games, folks were complaining where is the keyboard. We lag behind even 3rd world countries in terms of mindsets.

I only want a better life for my family and my parents. I also don't wish to be a security guard/taxi driver which is the fate that most of us white collars will be looking forward to when we get retrenched due to age discrimination.

My plan is to get the arrangements to move there without needing to get a job first, buy a house with most of my cash and then maybe another small place/apartment and get the rental to live on while i come back here to continue working.

With the savings plus rental and plus my job, more than enough to achieve the dream while having a place to retire to.

Folks here keep thinking things are ok for today but there is always tomorrow, no one knows what it brings. Better to do it now then later when i am too old and regret. By that time, probably don't have the means/money and over age limit.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Immigration consultancy in New Zealand now is regulated since this year. Do your homeworks by scouting around for the best one to take on your case.

You were lucky to be out of pockets for mere hundreds.

Very true, just do it yourself via the www.immigration.govt.nz site. Safe and pretty straightforward. You can also save the settings to get more information if you don't have it at that time.

Its easy and just took me two hours from start to finish and they accept credit cards for payment.

I received a reply within a week. :smile: