• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Founder of Lim Seng Lee Duck Rice wants to retire

Suspicion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lim Seng Lee duck rice outlet to close

Eileen Tay | The Straits Times | Sun Mar 31 2013

23269.jpg
61508.jpg

The founder of Lim Seng Lee Eating House in Buona Vista wants to retire before his health turns bad.

Singapore, March 31, 2013

After 45 years in the business, Lim Seng Lee Duck Rice Eating House, which is famous for its boneless braised duck, will be closing.

The coffee shop in South Buona Vista Road is likely to close after June 20 but a definite date was not given.

Founder Lim Ah Too, 67, and his wife were reluctant to speak to Life!, saying that they feared a deluge of customers if news got out that they would be closing.

But he said that he wanted to retire because he has a bad back.

"Of course, we will feel sad that we are closing. But like my children say, if we don't close now, in two or three years when our health turns bad, we will still have to close anyway," he said. "We might as well close now before our health becomes bad."

The eating house, one of the first in Singapore to serve boneless duck in 1968, is well-known for its Teochew-style braised duck. It is served with a soy sauce-based gravy flavoured with cinnamon and other herbs and spices.

The price of a plate of duck rice starts at $4.

His wife, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Lim, added that their four children were not willing to take over the business.

Showing a plastic box of medication, she said her husband had visited the doctor the day before and that she herself also suffered from knee pain. "It's not about the money. Health is the most important. Some of our customers have eaten here since they were young, but we have no choice," she said.

She added that they do not plan to sell their recipe. "Even if we sell it, other people would not know how to chop the duck," she said. "The chopping is more important than the cooking."

Lim Seng Lee is not the only popular eatery that is closing. The owners of Mong Hing Teochew Restaurant in Beach Road said last week that they would also be packing up after 58 years.

When Life! visited Lim Seng Lee at dinner time on Monday, it was packed with customers and parking was scarce. Retiree Michael Wong, 60, said he has been patronising it for 20 years, once every fortnight. He said: "The duck is very nice and the gravy is good. I will miss them."

Information technology consultant Ben Tan, 29, said he has been eating there for about 10 years. "This is one of the more nostalgic places. It is a pity it is closing. I'll come back here before it closes."

[email protected]

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wasted. can be rated as one of the best braised duck rice around....pity its going the way of Swee Kee chicken rice. Kudos to him for not blaming it on FT tightening....rather like Mong Hing suspect the culprit likely be high rentals. Fuck PAP

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's an annual pilgrimage for me. after all these years, it's like the constant with all the changes going on in sg. never fails me. i'm gonna miss it. :o

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would prefer if he could give thicker, larger slice of duck meat, his serving of thin strands need few of them to feel shiok

....and tonychat, please fuck off

lorrydriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will miss it. I don't normally choose to order duck rice for a meal but this is one place I will go...... although menu is limited and the price charged can fluctuate if you don't look like a regular, the duck rice is very good....will miss it. Probably will have clones coming out by end of the year......

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
south buona vista road, near haw par. parking is a bitch. the younger guy helps with valet parking.

Sorry I am confused now. Is this the one or not?? If this is the one next to NUS (near Har Par Villa) and yes they provide valet parking...then I will miss it. But I am guilty for not there for the last 5 years....sorry just did not have the opp to go there for makan.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Founder of Lim Seng Lee Duck Rice wants to retire

LIke who cares...

The founder of Lim Seng Lee Eating House in Buona Vista wants to retire before his health turns bad.

meat eaters usually expects their health to turn bad... if you are a vegetarian, you will not have such problem.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry I am confused now. Is this the one or not?? If this is the one next to NUS (near Har Par Villa) and yes they provide valet parking...then I will miss it. But I am guilty for not there for the last 5 years....sorry just did not have the opp to go there for makan.

it's the other end of south buona vista, past lorong sari and vista terrace, near pasir panjang road (west coast highway above). the other end of south buona vista is kent ridge. it's a long road. valet parking is not 5-star hotel type. it's more like 1-asteroid anyhow come anyhow go. parking lot can only hold 6 cars, but they will try to squeeze in 12! :eek:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
10yrs from now, the children will regret not taking over the business

next thing, someone is gonna blame the gov and pap for not creating a new bureaucracy of sinkie comfort food preservation and safekeeping all these national treasures of sg cooking. :rolleyes:

i'm expecting tracy to kpkb again. :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's the other end of south buona vista, past lorong sari and vista terrace, near pasir panjang road (west coast highway above). the other end of south buona vista is kent ridge. it's a long road. valet parking is not 5-star hotel type. it's more like 1-asteroid anyhow come anyhow go. parking lot can only hold 6 cars, but they will try to squeeze in 12! :eek:
near exit of 99 curves.......

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
next thing, someone is gonna blame the gov and pap for not creating a new bureaucracy of sinkie comfort food preservation and safekeeping all these national treasures of sg cooking. :rolleyes:

i'm expecting tracy to kpkb again. :biggrin:

many sinkies are so brainwashed, their idea of a worthwhile life is cramming for exams for 15yrs, then spend the rest of their life working for someone in raffles place and paying off a debt for a 90sq meters 99yr rental box.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
10yrs from now, the children will regret not taking over the business

Yeah man. These youngsters must be retards. Sitting on a gold mine and not making best use of it. If it was in my hand, I would make sure that I can sit at cat 150 house everyday to blow aircon :biggrin: