• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Forummer Aussie Pete on Yahoo news

Ilovelamb

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10/19/an-expat-at-home-in-the-heartlands/

By Peter Breitkreutz

Moving to Singapore

I’m not unaccustomed to living abroad. I lived and worked in Shanghai previously – where I met my wife, who hails from there – and so moving to Singapore was not really a culture shock. I was living almost as a local abroad.

We had decided that relocating to Singapore was going to be for the long term. From the start, we definitely didn’t want to do what is often the standard “expat” thing and isolate ourselves from the local community by staying in foreigner-friendly haunts, surrounded by people similar to ourselves. It was our goal to integrate completely into our new country and I guess, at first, we half succeeded in this goal.

I say “half succeeded”, because, although we were living in the heartlands – in a three-bedroom rental condominium at Woodsvale in Woodlands – and spent much of our spare time integrating and participating locally, we still felt somewhat shut off.

Making a Change

After our first child was born, we applied (after much deliberation) and were approved for Permanent Resident status. This opened the door to purchasing a resale HDB apartment. We managed to secure a five-room flat in Fernvale in Sengkang West. It was ideal for us and matched, almost identically, the quite stringent expectations we had set for our home.

Many of my colleagues have trouble reconciling our “heartland” lifestyle in their minds. I know of more than one Australian who has been living in Singapore for more than five years, and still does not even know where Ang Mo Kio is! Even some local friends show surprise when we talk about our home – an “ang moh” living in a HDB estate!

Happy at Home

We have now been living here happily for more than a year (and have just last week had our second baby born in Singapore) that I almost feel that we wasted our early years living in Singapore by not having taken this step sooner.

Our actual flat is much nicer than the previous condo we were living in at Woodsvale. It is what is referred to as a “point block” and has a condo-style layout. Each floor has elevator access, and there are only four apartments on each of the twenty-four floors. The interior has a very large living space and the hallway opens onto the bedrooms. What’s more, ours has recently been renovated in a “Zen style”, and includes a built-in bar!

I can say, without hesitation, that my family and I have been completely welcomed with open, kind arms and hearts into our community. All of our neighbours are wonderful, and I make it a point to take the time out to talk with and befriend anyone in the community. We attend block parties organized by the Residents’ Committee and love mixing it with our new mates at the local kopitiam. Whether it’s time to ward off hungry ghosts or to enjoy the Mid-Autumn festival, we feel right at home.

I cannot recommend this avenue highly enough. Get local, live in the heartlands and break down the barriers – you will not regret it. In fact, I’m sure it will make living in Singapore an even more rewarding experience.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to give it to this guy. He not only took the heat, but managed to be civil about it. He is the type of person that Singaporeans should appreciate. He has gone out of his to get involved.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got to give it to this guy. He not only took the heat, but managed to be civil about it. He is the type of person that Singaporeans should appreciate. He has gone out of his to get involved.

I'll welcome him when he ditch his PR status and turn Citizen. Until then, still FT

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find aussies are generally the more adventurous expats. They are more willing to experiment and integrate than americans or europeans. U will also notice that they like to learn to speak singlish.

This guy aussie pete took alot of shit in this forum but to my dismay, never declared war. damn :biggrin:

pity he's caught in the anti FT crossfire. wish him and his family all the best.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I find aussies are generally the more adventurous expats. They are more willing to experiment and integrate than americans or europeans. U will also notice that they like to learn to speak singlish.

Why any foreigner would try an integrate into heartland sinkie society is beyond me. :rolleyes: I tried my best to isolate myself from most sinkies while I was there.

I mixed only with the mission school elite.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why any foreigner would try an integrate into heartland sinkie society is beyond me. :rolleyes: I tried my best to isolate myself from most sinkies while I was there.

I mixed only with the mission school elite.

hi there

"I mixed only with the mission school elite."

1. honest, i was from some mission school here.
2. you are really some arsehole.
3. what so bad with schools in the heartland?
4. kids with no brains or what!

M.Bison

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary. I consider myself vastly superior compared to the peasant stock that make up the majority.:rolleyes: Call me a snob but that's me.
On the contrary. Moderation for 'newbies' in this forum has worked well to rid off assholes trolls (lately nicks ending with 888) from the PAP IB out to stir shit in the emigration folder.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
1. honest, i was from some mission school here.
2. you are really some arsehole.
3. what so bad with schools in the heartland?
4. kids with no brains or what!

I look down on anyone who doesn't know the difference between a noun and a verb. 99% of heartlanders fall into this category.:rolleyes:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary. I consider myself vastly superior compared to the peasant stock that make up the majority.:rolleyes: Call me a snob but that's me.

Sinkies (ex and current) are peasant stock genetically :oIo:

Nothing can change that you know? :oIo:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Calling yourself superior is a reflection of your own insecurity.

I'm sure if you meet Tonychat in real life, you guys will become soulmates.

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys - long time no 'chit chat'! Was surprised to see this article that I wrote for the iProperty guys show up on yahoo news (one of my colleagues emailed me to let me know). But the sentiments are very real!

Thanks for remembering me here - and thanks for those with the kind words... Always best to smile in the face of adversity. :smile:

also, kudos to the moderators for cleaning out the trolls from the immigration folder and the like!!

Cheers all!!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oy aussie fucker you are back!

So how's life? I heard there was a big brawl at orchard towers last month. hope you weren't hurt too badly.