• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Former PAP President Of Singapore Admires JBJ For Being So Stubborn Even Though He Still Thinks JBJ Is A Retard!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1594633019493.png

C. V. Devan Nair. Former President of the Republic of Singapore, wrote below in 1999 about how one type of bullying in SG politics began. Here's hoping GE 2020 marks the beginning of the end of this type of politics.

"It is just as well that I release this requiem now. If not timely yet, it will be soon enough. Here goes, for good or ill to myself:

Some months after I was kicked upstairs to the presidency of the republic of Singapore in October 1981, there was a by-election in the parliamentary constituency of Anson, which I had held prior to my ill-fated elevation. I had won that seat with a comfortable majority of some 80 percent of the votes cast. The PAP's candidate in the by-election was a relative unknown, while the Workers Party put up J.B Jeyaretnam. To the consternation of the PAP, Jeyaretnam won.

The day after the by-election verdict was declared, I had lunch with the Prime Minister. I was amazed at how he fretted and fumed like a caged fury. As I saw it, Jeyaretnam constituted no threat at all to the PAP whether in parliament or outside it. For one thing, despite Jeyas courage, he displayed a woeful lack of economics. He clearly never knew at any point of time how Singapore clicked economically. And it was as plain as a pikestaff to me that in five years of free performance in 'parliament against the likes of Dr Goh Keng Swee, Mr Lim Kim San et al, he would stand exposed in public for his abysmal ignorance of economics.

In truth, if I had to cope with J.B Jeyaretnam as a hostile delegate at regular National Trade Union Congress (NTUC) Delegates Conferences, I would have given him all the rope and more he wanted to hang himself with. And after free and open arguments over three days of conferencing, I would have beaten him hands down at the ballot box. I knew this, as did the workers. For they knew that in the colonial days, Jeyaretnam had never stood on a picket line. I had, not once but several times, not only stood on picket lines, but also bedded down for the night on the gravel with the workers whom I led.

“I told all this to Kuan Yew. Nothing I said sank in. He fretted about a potential critical percentage drop in PAP votes across all the constituencies that could eventually bring the PAP government down, and he wouldn't stand for it. Only later did I realise that this was the moment that started his formidable brain box ticking away furiously at the fecund gerrymandering schemes he was to introduce later to ensure that all opposition parties would be put in a Gordian bind that would make it impossible for them to ever achieve control of parliament, unless an Alexander came along. Such a possibility appears impossible now, unless it takes the awesome shape of shattering geo-political circumstances already building up around Singapore.

Immediately, however, Kuan Yew's attention was concentrated on how he would deal with J.B Jeyaretnam in parliament. I was quite alarmed at some of the things he told me at that lunch. "Look," he said, "Jeyaretnam cant win the infighting. I'll tell you why. WE are in charge. Every government ministry and department is under our control. And in the infighting, he will go down for the count every time." And I will never forget his last words. "I will make him crawl on his bended knees, and beg for mercy."

Jeyaretnam was made of sterner stuff. To his eternal credit he never did crawl on bended knees, or ever begged for mercy. And it is to Lee Kuan Yew's eternal shame that Jeyaretnam will leave the political scene with his head held high, enjoying a martyrdom conferred on him by Lee. Lest I be misunderstood, let me state that Jeya more than deserves the crown of the martyr for his indomitable courage and dignity in the face of the vilest persecution.

Even greater human spirits than Jeyaretnam had refused to bend their knees to Lee Kuan Yew. It is my considered view that the greatest human being living in Singapore today is one who declined to surrender to the intimidation of prolonged incarceration and restrictions imposed on him without trial for a total period which exceeds that suffered by Nelson Mandela. And here was the mark of true greatness. He emerged from the experience like a god unembittered. His name is Chia Thye Poh. And it is Lee Kuan Yew who emerged from the episode as the knave and fool of his own mindless vindictiveness, while the real conqueror smiles benignly - unnoted, of course, by the local media. For only sound waves from the Istana Annexe are picked up and regurgitated by His Master's Voice.

There is no political justification for obliging the Workers' Party to close down. And not a shred of moral justification. What lies behind the move is among the most brazen vindictiveness ever shown in the political life of Singapore. It merely adds one more nail in the coffin of the PAP's reputation when the true history of the party will be exposed to the world, as it surely will be one day in the coming decades of the third millennium. As mankind accelerates to the abyss, the shining memories of the past will certainly not include Lee Kuan Yew and the department store dummies he boasts today as his acolytes. He clearly does not possess the foresight to avoid such a fate.

I gladly salute J.B. Jeyaretnam and the Worker's Party at this highly deserved requiem, even if I never once had shared their platform."

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 86116
C. V. Devan Nair. Former President of the Republic of Singapore, wrote below in 1999 about how one type of bullying in SG politics began. Here's hoping GE 2020 marks the beginning of the end of this type of politics.

"It is just as well that I release this requiem now. If not timely yet, it will be soon enough. Here goes, for good or ill to myself:

Some months after I was kicked upstairs to the presidency of the republic of Singapore in October 1981, there was a by-election in the parliamentary constituency of Anson, which I had held prior to my ill-fated elevation. I had won that seat with a comfortable majority of some 80 percent of the votes cast. The PAP's candidate in the by-election was a relative unknown, while the Workers Party put up J.B Jeyaretnam. To the consternation of the PAP, Jeyaretnam won.

The day after the by-election verdict was declared, I had lunch with the Prime Minister. I was amazed at how he fretted and fumed like a caged fury. As I saw it, Jeyaretnam constituted no threat at all to the PAP whether in parliament or outside it. For one thing, despite Jeyas courage, he displayed a woeful lack of economics. He clearly never knew at any point of time how Singapore clicked economically. And it was as plain as a pikestaff to me that in five years of free performance in 'parliament against the likes of Dr Goh Keng Swee, Mr Lim Kim San et al, he would stand exposed in public for his abysmal ignorance of economics.

In truth, if I had to cope with J.B Jeyaretnam as a hostile delegate at regular National Trade Union Congress (NTUC) Delegates Conferences, I would have given him all the rope and more he wanted to hang himself with. And after free and open arguments over three days of conferencing, I would have beaten him hands down at the ballot box. I knew this, as did the workers. For they knew that in the colonial days, Jeyaretnam had never stood on a picket line. I had, not once but several times, not only stood on picket lines, but also bedded down for the night on the gravel with the workers whom I led.

“I told all this to Kuan Yew. Nothing I said sank in. He fretted about a potential critical percentage drop in PAP votes across all the constituencies that could eventually bring the PAP government down, and he wouldn't stand for it. Only later did I realise that this was the moment that started his formidable brain box ticking away furiously at the fecund gerrymandering schemes he was to introduce later to ensure that all opposition parties would be put in a Gordian bind that would make it impossible for them to ever achieve control of parliament, unless an Alexander came along. Such a possibility appears impossible now, unless it takes the awesome shape of shattering geo-political circumstances already building up around Singapore.

Immediately, however, Kuan Yew's attention was concentrated on how he would deal with J.B Jeyaretnam in parliament. I was quite alarmed at some of the things he told me at that lunch. "Look," he said, "Jeyaretnam cant win the infighting. I'll tell you why. WE are in charge. Every government ministry and department is under our control. And in the infighting, he will go down for the count every time." And I will never forget his last words. "I will make him crawl on his bended knees, and beg for mercy."

Jeyaretnam was made of sterner stuff. To his eternal credit he never did crawl on bended knees, or ever begged for mercy. And it is to Lee Kuan Yew's eternal shame that Jeyaretnam will leave the political scene with his head held high, enjoying a martyrdom conferred on him by Lee. Lest I be misunderstood, let me state that Jeya more than deserves the crown of the martyr for his indomitable courage and dignity in the face of the vilest persecution.

Even greater human spirits than Jeyaretnam had refused to bend their knees to Lee Kuan Yew. It is my considered view that the greatest human being living in Singapore today is one who declined to surrender to the intimidation of prolonged incarceration and restrictions imposed on him without trial for a total period which exceeds that suffered by Nelson Mandela. And here was the mark of true greatness. He emerged from the experience like a god unembittered. His name is Chia Thye Poh. And it is Lee Kuan Yew who emerged from the episode as the knave and fool of his own mindless vindictiveness, while the real conqueror smiles benignly - unnoted, of course, by the local media. For only sound waves from the Istana Annexe are picked up and regurgitated by His Master's Voice.

There is no political justification for obliging the Workers' Party to close down. And not a shred of moral justification. What lies behind the move is among the most brazen vindictiveness ever shown in the political life of Singapore. It merely adds one more nail in the coffin of the PAP's reputation when the true history of the party will be exposed to the world, as it surely will be one day in the coming decades of the third millennium. As mankind accelerates to the abyss, the shining memories of the past will certainly not include Lee Kuan Yew and the department store dummies he boasts today as his acolytes. He clearly does not possess the foresight to avoid such a fate.

I gladly salute J.B. Jeyaretnam and the Worker's Party at this highly deserved requiem, even if I never once had shared their platform."
What a sad joke.

Devan Nair who was a staunch anti-colonialist, independance fighter and once even a card carrying communist died in a white man's country because of his fall out with LKY.

And now his son Jenadas Devan sleeps in the same political bed with LHL.

SalahParking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nair stands for ..NO ALCoHOL I ReSign. that's why this PAP president jumped on the table during a public function, squeeze the breast of a diplomats wife and showed everyone his cock.

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Ang Mohs could not turn a blind eye when The Tiger of Anson submit an appeal but Sinkie peasants kept quiet and watched PAP forced Jeyaretnam under the bus ....

Appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council
Since the trial had been held in a district court, under Singapore law Jeyaretnam was only entitled to appeal his conviction to the High Court and did not have a further right of appeal from the High Court to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. However, he exercised his right to appeal his disbarment to the Privy Council. The Committee duly reversed the disbarment in 1988,[19] noting:

Their Lordships have to record their deep disquiet that by a series of misjudgements, the appellant (Jeyaretnam) and his co-accused Wong, have suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty. The appellant, in addition, has been deprived of his seat in Parliament and disqualified for a year from practising his profession. Their Lordships order restores him to the roll of advocates and solicitors of the Supreme Court of Singapore, but, because of the course taken by the criminal proceedings, their Lordships have no power to right the other wrongs which the appellant and Wong have suffered. Their only prospect of redress, their Lordships understand, will be by way of petition for pardon to the President of the Republic of Singapore.[20]
Following the decision of the Privy Council, Jeyaretnam wrote to President Wee Kim Wee to ask that the convictions be removed. However, the Singapore government strongly condemned the judgment and President Wee, on the advice of the Cabinet, refused to remove the convictions. Jeyaretnam hence remained disqualified from Parliament until 1991.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The Ang Mohs could not turn a blind eye when The Tiger of Anson submit an appeal but Sinkie peasants kept quiet and watched PAP forced Jeyaretnam under the bus ....

Appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council
Since the trial had been held in a district court, under Singapore law Jeyaretnam was only entitled to appeal his conviction to the High Court and did not have a further right of appeal from the High Court to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. However, he exercised his right to appeal his disbarment to the Privy Council. The Committee duly reversed the disbarment in 1988,[19] noting:

Following the decision of the Privy Council, Jeyaretnam wrote to President Wee Kim Wee to ask that the convictions be removed. However, the Singapore government strongly condemned the judgment and President Wee, on the advice of the Cabinet, refused to remove the convictions. Jeyaretnam hence remained disqualified from Parliament until 1991.
LKY also changed the constitution so that no one could appeal to Privy Council anymore.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a sad joke.

Devan Nair who was a staunch anti-colonialist, independance fighter and once even a card carrying communist died in a white man's country because of his fall out with LKY.

And now his son Jenadas Devan sleeps in the same political bed with LHL.

Janadas Devan (born 1954) is a former journalist, and is the current Chief of Government Communications at the Ministry of Communications and Information of Singapore coordinates the Government's public communications. He is also a director at the public policy think-tank Institute of Policy Studies (IPS). Nair was formerly a senior editor of The Straits Times, the flagship English-language daily newspaper of the Singapore Press Holdings.[3] He is the son of C.V. Devan Nair, the third President of Singapore.[4] Devan studied at the National University of Singapore and Cornell University in New York. He is married to literary scholar Geraldine Heng.[5][6]

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
devan nair the drunk can believe him?

In this case, we can believe Devan Nair. In his last days , he had an axe to grind with Lau Cheebye for removing him as President due to his then so called alcoholic issues. LKY in a way successfully demonised him as an alcoholic, wife beater to the public. And his shameless son sold his soul to the same Leegime that shamed his late father. LOL.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Devan Nair was not framed but he needed help for alcoholism during an era when mental illness was not accepted socially and medically. He certainly played an important role in our country's fight for independence. It's just a shame how his legacy ended.

In one of the books about the founding fathers DN was said to have helped the commies conceal weapons from the special branch people. He allegedly hid a stash of grenades in a box under his desk at work. What a character

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
LKY also changed the constitution so that no one could appeal to Privy Council anymore.
Yes, because he thought himself God and did not take too kindly to the "wrong" decisions of the Law Lords. As God, he decreed that those old senile ang mos in girly wigs were out of touch with local conditions.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yes, because he thought himself God and did not take too kindly to the "wrong" decisions of the Law Lords. As God, he decreed that those old senile ang mos in girly wigs were out of touch with local conditions.

These are things that sinkies never paid attention to. If you ask many of them they would not even know what the Privy Council is.

It is unfortunate. Hence why sinkies do not think of PAP as the bad guy. MSM also never made these changes public either.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
It is unfortunate. Hence why sinkies do not think of PAP as the bad guy. MSM also never made these changes public either.
It is those daft sinkie's own fault. No desire to seek real answers, question the status quo, learn and be a better person. Blissfully ignorant with closed minds. There is no cure for stupid. However, there seems to be hope now. I have always believed the strawberry Gen, although a self-entitled self-centered whiny bunch, would be the ones to resist authoritarianism. They dare to challenge, question and make their voices heard.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It is those daft sinkie's own fault. No desire to seek real answers, question the status quo, learn and be a better person. Blissfully ignorant with closed minds. There is no cure for stupid. However, there seems to be hope now. I have always believed the strawberry Gen, although a self-entitled self-centered whiny bunch, would be the ones to resist authoritarianism. They dare to challenge, question and make their voices heard.

I wouldn't say they are stupid. It is just they do not actively seek out information that does not directly affect them.

It is the realm of general knowledge. Information and knowledge that is outside of what you use daily or need.

But things are changing with social media these days. Friends sharing information readily. It is like being at a gathering all the time. Someone says hey I heard this and that and everyone listens and may go "oh i never knew that!"

To be honest if not for SBF I would not have known many things about SG as well!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I wouldn't say they are stupid. It is just they do not actively seek out information that does not directly affect them.

It is the realm of general knowledge. Information and knowledge that is outside of what you use daily or need.

But things are changing with social media these days. Friends sharing information readily. It is like being at a gathering all the time. Someone says hey I heard this and that and everyone listens and may go "oh i never knew that!"

To be honest if not for SBF I would not have known many things about SG as well!
They are lazy, hence they become stupid. And it is really stupid to be lazy these days because information is everywhere, so easy for the taking. Yes I agree, most folks tend to be contented with just seeking out information that concerns them directly. Lacking inquisitive minds to gather more information to better shape their worldview.

I think i got smarter because of SBF. :biggrin: