• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Football Jersey Colours

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A little trivia about football jersey colours.

Of the teams that have won the World Cup, none wear red except for England:

Brazil (5 titles) Yellow
Italy (4 titles) Blue
Germany (3 titles) White
Uruguay (2 titles) Light Blue
Argentina (2 titles) Light Blue/White Stripes
England (1 title) Red
France (1 title) Blue

However in the English league, the top 3 most successful clubs all wear red:

Liverpool (18 titles) Red
Manchester United (18 titles) Red
Arsenal (13 titles) Red/White Sleeves
Everton (9 titles) Blue
Aston Villa (7 titles) Purple/Light Blue Sleeves

It's interesting to note that England usually wear white, except when required to change to "away" colours. England beat Germany at Wembley to win the World Cup but was wearing red because Germany was the first semi-final winner and with it the right the wear "home" colours.

Perhaps, English teams (whether club or country) are luckier in red.

Last edited:

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps, English teams (whether club or country) are luckier in red.

If red is such a lucky colour, care to explain to me why a team that wears ALL-RED in the english league can't win its domestic league
for 19 long years and counting.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If red is such a lucky colour, care to explain to me why a team that wears ALL-RED in the english league can't win its domestic league
for 19 long years and counting.

To be fair to Liverpool, you've forgotten that there was a 26-year period when Manchester United couldn't win any league title, i.e. 1967-1993.

For countries that have won the World Cup, the record for the longest wait between titles is held by Italy with 44 years in between 1938 and 1982. If Uruguay qualifies for and win the next World Cup, it would break the record with 60 years in between 1950 and 2010. If England qualifies for and win the next World, it would tie the record with 44 years in between 1966 and 2010.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One interesting observation from the 70s and 80s was that British club and national goalkeepers have standardised jersey colours. All British club goalkeepers wore green and all British national (England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland) goalkeepers wore yellow. I think that this practice was discontinued in the 90s.