• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Flawed Financial Products

Z

Zombie

It doesn't matter what the motivation of the buyer actually was.

It does matter, because it affects the amount of duty of care. That is why they take care of vulnerable investors. The rest can go to court.

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the benefits of many here, I shall post the article on what Minibond is all about:

The name "Minibonds" itself is a misleading word for investors. quote]

Did I hear mini-bombs? Well, fortunately for my aunt, she did not buy into it as this was exactly what she heard. :biggrin: Even the name already gave the hint. Why didn't these investors do a counter-intuitive and kept their pens off their check books? Why, why, why. Tell me why.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
When win money, celebrate, clap hands, throw party. When lose money, cry father, cry mother, blame the cow, neighbours, society and gahmen !! Madness !!

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mini-bonds is a great product, cause the High netwrth guys avoid it, knowing that risk free 5yrs treasury bonds pays about 3 plus % (then). And these 5 yr bonds are liquid in that you can sell them on the markets anytime at the prevailing price.

So they sell it to the clueless wannabes, at a time were everyone was complaining about low yields. A sure hit.

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are a lot of products after they liberalise the markets.
so there are bound to have some that are not sound and good.
it is always good to do some research and analysis,then good to someone that you can trust or already have some dealing with.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are a lot of products after they liberalise the markets.
so there are bound to have some that are not sound and good.
it is always good to do some research and analysis,then good to someone that you can trust or already have some dealing with.

Wrong. They are all flawed. The simple mechanism everyone understand. Actual workings so complicated, even Nobel prize economists cannot understand. All I bankers and managers selling u do not understand the product and do not understand the final outcome. U cannot predict how global borrowing into the future looks like and with a growing real economy.
http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k44822

Z

Zombie

Wrong. They are all flawed. The simple mechanism everyone understand. Actual workings so complicated, even Nobel prize economists cannot understand. All I bankers and managers selling u do not understand the product and do not understand the final outcome. U cannot predict how global borrowing into the future looks like and with a growing real economy.
http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k44822

These experts 馬後炮, don't need noble prize. :biggrin:
What have they been doing since 2000-1?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These experts 馬後炮, don't need noble prize. :biggrin:
What have they been doing since 2000-1?

No choice lah. Finance hot topic. If department close, they no job or no big research fund. Research on a topic, outcome always 50-50 good fake wat.

jw5

Loyal
Dear Jw5,

Thank you for your consistent support throughout these years. However, at this point of time, I do not have any more desires to stand for elections due to my other commitments.

I am now only playing the role of social-political activist in helping political party (NSP) and people with worthy causes (Mr. Tan KL). I do not foresee my candidacy in the next GE; well maybe helping out in the background only.

Goh Meng Seng
GMS
That's a real pity.
Becuase I honestly believe that the only way to real progress is for more opposition MPs in parliament. If you noticed, LHL had an entirely opposite view about opposition MPs. Hehehe :smile:
People who continue as activists, dissidents, social commentators, any role out-of-parliament, etc will always be "sidelined and bracketed". They will always have a role to play, but it will be very difficult to take Singapore forward.
Do you mind telling us what are your other commitments?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
GMS
That's a real pity.
Becuase I honestly believe that the only way to real progress is for more opposition MPs in parliament. If you noticed, LHL had an entirely opposite view about opposition MPs. Hehehe :smile:
People who continue as activists, dissidents, social commentators, any role out-of-parliament, etc will always be "sidelined and bracketed". They will always have a role to play, but it will be very difficult to take Singapore forward.
Do you mind telling us what are your other commitments?

Dear JWS,

The PM is worried that many of those youngsters who are dissatisfied with the PAP government's policies would join opposition. This is reflected in one of his recent speech, urging these people to "work with government" rather than joining opposition parties! LOL!

Having said that, I think the size of opposition, especially WP, has grown from strength to strength. There would be enough people to carry on the fight and most probably, in time to come, some may just get into parliament.

For me, its basically my personal commitment. I have spent much time on political and social activism for the last 7 years and it is now time for me to take stock of my other commitments and obligations, especially towards my immediate family.

I always believe, no one is indispensable, be it in politics or otherwise.

Goh Meng Seng

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk cock sing song lah !!

Next election, PAP will win by 62.99% majority simply because there is abso;iutely no credible opposition !! Period !!

jw5

Loyal
Dear JWS,

The PM is worried that many of those youngsters who are dissatisfied with the PAP government's policies would join opposition. This is reflected in one of his recent speech, urging these people to "work with government" rather than joining opposition parties! LOL!

Having said that, I think the size of opposition, especially WP, has grown from strength to strength. There would be enough people to carry on the fight and most probably, in time to come, some may just get into parliament.

For me, its basically my personal commitment. I have spent much time on political and social activism for the last 7 years and it is now time for me to take stock of my other commitments and obligations, especially towards my immediate family.

I always believe, no one is indispensable, be it in politics or otherwise.

Goh Meng Seng
Exactly my point, I read the same thing that you did. I think he is really concerned that he and his team will look bad after the next GE results. Hahaha :smile:
Of course you have every right to live your life as you deem fit. But I would suggest that you and Steve get together and convince each other to step forward again. Your country needs you. :smile:
The rest of us are either too selfish or too apathetic to want to do anything. My personal view is that the majority of Singaporeans are not worth the trouble.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly my point, I read the same thing that you did. I think he is really concerned that he and his team will look bad after the next GE results. Hahaha :smile:
Of course you have every right to live your life as you deem fit. But I would suggest that you and Steve get together and convince each other to step forward again. Your country needs you. :smile:
The rest of us are either too selfish or too apathetic to want to do anything. My personal view is that the majority of Singaporeans are not worth the trouble.

Agree with you bro.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Many are helpless. If those can help aren't helpful, then the helpless become hopeless.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The following article on Today has highlighted that DBS High 5 Notes is actually a FLAWED product with a risk factor of 8 or 9 out of 10.

At the end of the day, we all know who the idiots are!:rolleyes:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...ts=MtK4mt0yn_&sig=ahOr8gxyd1aCvN-oF7z3gw0WE7Q

51GQYTMTEGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

ZMA1

Alfrescian
Loyal
At a time when FDs were paying less than 1 % interest, these Minibonds offered 5%. If people are idiotic enuff to believe that it's such a good deal and that it is low risk, then they deserve to lose their money. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

jw5

Loyal
Many are helpless. If those can help aren't helpful, then the helpless become hopeless.
We should always help the poor and the needy, regardless of our willingness to make a political stand.
But many who remain ignorant and/or apathetic include a great number of lottery buying heartlanders or CBD area corporate executives. These people are obviously not helpless, but choose to continue focusing on what matters to them only and remain oblivious to what the country needs. Are they worth helping?