• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Finland Will Pay Everyone in the Country $876 a Month

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Scandinavian and Nordic countries (except for Greece) are truly great!

http://usuncut.com/world/finland-plans-to-pay-everyone-in-the-country-876-a-month/

To fight poverty and boost its own economy, Finland is planning to issue a check for $876 to every citizen, every month. The concept is called basic income, and the Finnish government is getting closer to finalizing its implementation this month.

The Finnish Social Insurance Institution (KELA) is drafting the plan to pay every one of its 5.4 million people $876 per month, tax-free, which would replace social support programs, such as welfare and unemployment benefits.

Though a proposal from KELA isn’t expected until November 2016, a pilot stage is currently planned prior to full implementation of the program.

Basic income has been debated by economists for years, but Finland would be the first major nation to actually implement the model on a universal basis. The arrangement was initially popularized in the 1960s by Milton Friedman and would “provide payments from the state that would increase in inverse proportion to income.”

This could be the Finnish government’s answer to rising poverty and unemployment rates during a three-year recession, and it is certainly popular among Finns. In a recent poll by KELA, 69 percent of Finns support a basic income. Voters elected the Centre party this April, which campaigned in support of basic income, but the idea is popular among voters of almost all parties.

Currently in Finland, just as in the U.S., welfare benefits are doled out based on income. Basic income, in contrast, would be equally distributed to everyone regardless of how much money they make or even if they don’t receive any other income.

Critics argue that basic income would remove the incentive to work and lead to even higher unemployment. Supporters point to previous experiments, such as the Canadian city of Dauphin, where basic income was enacted successfully in the 1970s. Residents of Dauphin were part of a program initially designed to evaluate if writing checks to the working poor, just enough to bring them up to a living wage, would eliminate their desire to work. It didn’t. Checks were written to the city’s poorest residents for five years with no strings attached, and for five years, poverty was eradicated.

Finland could be next to wipe out poverty among its people. Finnish Prime Minister Juha Sipilä supports the concept, saying, “For me, a basic income means simplifying the social security system.”

If all goes as planned, basic income could mean much more than that. It could mean an end to poverty and unemployment and the beginning of economic freedom and equality.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scandinavian countries are the best ...pay 50 percent tax and in return, get free childcare, healthcare, education, unemployment money and pension. So, your after tax money is truly yours to spend ...don't need to save for all these expensive programmes.

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scandinavian countries are the best ...pay 50 percent tax and in return, get free childcare, healthcare, education, unemployment money and pension. So, your after tax money is truly yours to spend ...don't need to save for all these expensive programmes.

But I don't want to pay 50% tax. I don't need to receive free healthcare, education, or pension. But I think the state should provide a basic income to everyone in lieu of these benefits. With the security of a basic income, then people can go and get whatever insurance they need. It is a better system this way.

I don't mind paying 25% tax plus 10% VAT if in return, everyone in society gets a basic income.

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sorry I messed up. Greece is not a Nordic country.

Iceland is, and I don't like Iceland because they are a stupid country who plunged themselves into a debt crisis. Except for Iceland, I like all the other Nordic countries.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sorry I messed up. Greece is not a Nordic country.

Iceland is, and I don't like Iceland because they are a stupid country who plunged themselves into a debt crisis. Except for Iceland, I like all the other Nordic countries.

Not the government but the banks. And the government went after the bankers.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But I don't want to pay 50% tax. I don't need to receive free healthcare, education, or pension. But I think the state should provide a basic income to everyone in lieu of these benefits. With the security of a basic income, then people can go and get whatever insurance they need. It is a better system this way.

I don't mind paying 25% tax plus 10% VAT if in return, everyone in society gets a basic income.

Those are high cost items. Look at our CPF, how much you need to save to ensure a decent retirement fund. Look at health care cost. Look at child care cost. Then you save a bundle for your kids education. You add them all up, you are better off paying the 50 percent tax. You get a piece of mind.

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those are high cost items. Look at our CPF, how much you need to save to ensure a decent retirement fund. Look at health care cost. Look at child care cost. Then you save a bundle for your kids education. You add them all up, you are better off paying the 50 percent tax. You get a piece of mind.

No government can be trusted to honour all its obligations or to maintain a fair and equitable deal for everyone. We should have moderate taxation to support a basic social plan that allows each individual freedom of choice. Those who earn more can then buy better insurance coverage, send their kids to better schools, etc. But the basic social plan should take care of the minimum needs of everyone.

If taxation is too high, the good people will migrate out and businesses won't come, hurting the economy.