• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

fatal accident

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hell gate only opens at midnight, and they enter before that, only to come out again a few hours later.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 cheebye ahbengs racing on the roads and take out 2 innocent workers returning home from a day of tiring work.

I hope they come back tonite and haunt these ahbeng families

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
2 cheebye ahbengs racing on the roads and take out 2 innocent workers returning home from a day of tiring work.

I hope they come back tonite and haunt these ahbeng families

Riding motorcycle is very dangerous. Don't need to be hit by car. You could lose balance and slip or soemthing and that's it.

There is very rare such a thing as "fender bender" when it comes to motorcyclists.

It is either no accident or major injury.

In crowded roads best not to ride. If you like riding go to a country with wide open spaces empty roads for you to do during summer.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If everyone switched to PMDs the roads would be so much safer.

Many Nordic cities are banning cars and the road death range has plunged. In Oslo and Helsinki nobody died last year. Car trips are being replaced by ride sharing trips on Lime, Neuron etc.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If everyone switched to PMDs the roads would be so much safer.

Many Nordic cities are banning cars and the road death range has plunged. In Oslo and Helsinki nobody died last year. Car trips are being replaced by ride sharing trips on Lime, Neuron etc.

PMDs are not practical in countries with winter and snow.

So in those countries they would use cars.

Problem is a car is such a big capital investment. So having cars sit around unused is kind of nuts.

I was thinking of having like summer time ban cars. Only PMDs but I realize it won't work simply cos the investment to have cars is so high. And to say using them only for half the year that's not going to cut it.

In countries like SG of course you can just have PMDs. But then again what if it rains? And it does rain A LOT in SG.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
PMDs are not practical in countries with winter and snow.

So in those countries they would use cars.

Problem is a car is such a big capital investment. So having cars sit around unused is kind of nuts.

I was thinking of having like summer time ban cars. Only PMDs but I realize it won't work simply cos the investment to have cars is so high. And to say using them only for half the year that's not going to cut it.

In countries like SG of course you can just have PMDs. But then again what if it rains? And it does rain A LOT in SG.

bicycling.com

Oslo Just Proved Vision Zero Is Possible
By Jessica Coulon

4-5 minutes

Oslo, Norway, has reached a remarkable milestone in it’s pursuit of Vision Zero: The city witnessed zero cyclist and pedestrian fatalities in 2019. Conceived in 1997 by Sweden’s parliament, Vision Zero introduced the concept, and ethical necessity, of achieving zero traffic fatalities and serious injuries.

“It can never be ethically acceptable that people are killed or seriously injured while moving within the road transport system,” the Vision Zero principle asserts.
Technically, Oslo has not fully achieved Vision Zero, though this is by far the closest it—and perhaps any modern-day city—has ever come to doing so. There was a single traffic fatality in Oslo last year, which involved someone driving into a fence.

Oslo’s Vision Zero success has not occurred overnight. According to the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, which announced the city’s significant Vision Zero progress, there were 41 traffic deaths in 1975, before traffic safety measures such as lower speed limits became more commonplace. A decade later, the number of traffic deaths dropped to 27. Just five years after that, in 1990, the number dropped to 18.

Previous to 2019, Oslo’s least deadliest year for traffic accidents had been 2005, with 3 fatalities.

Meanwhile, the goal of Vision Zero remains elusive across cities in the United States—which experienced the highest number of cyclist fatalities in 30 years in 2018. New York City in particular is struggling to improve cyclist and pedestrian safety; last year, the city saw 29 cyclist fatalities, compared to 10 the year prior.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
[Find 52 weeks of tips and motivation, with space to fill in your mileage and favorite routes, with the Bicycling Training Journal.]

So, what can we learn from Oslo? How has Oslo been able to come so close to what has previously been a seemingly unattainable goal?

The article from Aftenposten outlines some of the likely explanations. The biggest (and most promising) takeaway, though, is that the city hasn’t really implemented any groundbreaking solutions.

The most probable reasons for the city’s drastic improvement in traffic safety include: more bike infrastructure, lower speed limits, fewer vehicles on the road overall, less traffic in residential areas, speed bumps, vehicles equipped with better technology, and better roads in general.

The city has also created car-free “heart zones” around every primary school, in an effort to focus on child safety in particular. (No children, up to 15 years of age, were killed in traffic accidents in all of Norway last year, either.)

Overall, these encouraging outcomes largely appear to be the culmination of a variety of solutions and a continued focus on improvement. And while you can’t (yet) fully account for human error, thoughtful urban planning can go a long way. It’s almost as though prioritizing traffic safety actually works.
As a publication on Vision Zero states, “life and health can never be exchanged for other benefits within the society”—not for the convenience of private vehicles, and certainly not for faster commutes.

Jessica Coulon

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
li.me

Lime Launches E-Scooters In Oslo And Helsinki As Nordic Cities Pass 1,000,000 Rides
John Wachunas

4-5 minutes

It’s been a big week for micromobility across the Scandanavian Peninsula.

As the warm summer months have seen existing markets in Sweden and Denmark surpass 1,000,000 Lime rides, two more major Nordic capitals have just launched electric scooter fleets of their own.

E-SCOOTERS IN OSLO

Lime co-founder Toby Sun was on hand this week to help launch the first fleet of electric scooters in the Norwegian capital of Oslo.

While e-scooters are currently regulated as bikes throughout the country, Sun hopes to work hand-in-hand with city officials to develop a unique code of conduct for safe use and correct parking, similar to Lime’s successful cooperative efforts in neighboring Stockholm.

LimeScootersOsloHelsinki

“We support all regulations that make it safer to ride e-scooters,” said Sun. “Our local team is ready to help further develop Oslo’s car free city centre, and we believe that industry and authorities should cooperate to build a micromobility culture that’s safe for both riders and pedestrians.”

First time riders in Oslo can receive 3 free 10-minute rides by downloading the Lime app and entering promocode OSLOGREEN through July 31st.

lime-launches-e-scooters-oslo-helsinki-nordic-cities-pass-1000000-rides-2

E-SCOOTERS IN HELSINKI
In Finland’s southern capital of Helsinki, Lime electric scooters rolled out this week with one goal in mind: safety.

“We’re happy to call Helsinki our home,” said Mikael Uusivuori, Lime Operations Manager in Finland. “The future of urban mobility begins with respect for the rules and for our surroundings, and Lime is proud to be working with Helsinki’s municipality to bring a safe, positive and sustainable mobility solution to the city.”
Lime will be holding safety events in Helsinki to help local riders get accustomed to this new transportation option, centered around five key pillars:
  • Ride responsibly at all times
  • Wear a helmet while riding
  • Abide by all traffic laws and speed limits
  • Ride only within designated areas such as streets and bike lanes
  • Park properly out of the way of pedestrian walkways, service ramps and metro stops
First time riders in Helsinki can receive 3 free 10-minute rides by downloading the Lime app and entering promocode LIMEINHELSINKI through July 30th.

lime-launches-e-scooters-oslo-helsinki-nordic-cities-pass-1000000-rides-3

ONE MILLION SCOOTER RIDES IN SWEDEN AND DENMARK

Sweden and Denmark, the first Nordic countries to launch Lime electric scooters, are celebrating a major micromobility milestone this week.
Hundreds of thousands of riders across Stockholm, Copenhagen, Malmo, Gothenburg and Uppsala have combined to take over one million scooter rides. That’s enough distance traveled across these 5 cities to circle the world more than 39 times.

“The eco-friendly and technologically-curious Nordic population has allowed for scooter travel to quickly become an everyday norm,” said Niklas Joensen, Lime’s Nordics Lead. “We’re extremely proud of our local teams, our riders and the local city governments for helping us reach this milestone.”

Perhaps more impressive than the number of rides itself, however, is the rapid timeline in which they’ve been taken. Many of these markets, including Copenhagen, launched their Lime electric scooter fleets as recently as April.

LEARN MORE

To learn more about micromobility launches and milestones from around the world, subscribe to Lime Second Street, or download the app to take your next electric scooter ride in Scandinavia today.

LIME NEWSLETTER
Get these stories delivered straight to your inbox

Our Picks

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@Leongsam

All those photos show them using the PMDs in Oslo during summer or fall. What do they do during winter? When it snows?

Maybe they do what Vancouver does when it snows. They SHUT DOWN.

But here in Calgary if it snows we still go to work we still function as a city.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
when driving always keep a safe distand no matter what is the speed.
in singapore i dont dare to drive because it is so crowded it is very hard to keep a safe distand and the people there always in a hurry and dont give ways to others.

last year i had an accident driving down the slope the car infront of me stop because infront of that car turning right.
i manage to stop because i kept a safe distand but because it was a slope my car takes more time to stop just nice.
but the car behind me not so lucky and hit my car.
heart abit pain because i just bought a new car 1 month old. fortunately no one was hurt.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
when driving always keep a safe distand no matter what is the speed.
in singapore i dont dare to drive because it is so crowded it is very hard to keep a safe distand and the people there always in a hurry and dont give ways to others.

last year i had an accident driving down the slope the car infront of me stop because infront of that car turning right.
i manage to stop because i kept a safe distand but because it was a slope my car takes more time to stop just nice.
but the car behind me not so lucky and hit my car.
heart abit pain because i just bought a new car 1 month old. fortunately no one was hurt.

Yeah the thing I don't like is you are careful but others are not.

Sigh. What to do. Many idiots around.

Which is why when I claim for my whiplash injury I hire lawyer and get the best injury management doctor. We get good money as compensation for our injury.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Riding motorcycle is very dangerous. Don't need to be hit by car. You could lose balance and slip or soemthing and that's it.

There is very rare such a thing as "fender bender" when it comes to motorcyclists.

It is either no accident or major injury.

In crowded roads best not to ride. If you like riding go to a country with wide open spaces empty roads for you to do during summer.

bro even i been driving 10 years i still dont dare to drive in sg because of heavy traffic bro.
in sg they drive so close to eachother and they rarely give way to others.