• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Fat-Gor" shows the way to a happy, simple and fulfilling life

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

E / Entertainment
Chow Yun Fat spends only $141 a month: Here are some money saving tips we learnt from the multi-millionaire
The “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” star has big plans for his $983 million fortune

cyf_rec.jpg

Photo: Facebook

Despite being a millionaire, Hong Kong action superstar Chow Yun Fat has led an extremely frugal lifestyle over the years. According to an American film industry and review website, he spends only about US$102 (S$141) a month.

The film legend who is in the midst of promoting his new action flick “Project Gutenberg” made headlines made headlines after he told Hong Kong movie site Jayne Stars that he plans to give away his entire net worth (that is valued at HK$5.6 billion (S$983 million) according to estimates by The New Straits Times) to charity.

In that same interview with the movie site, Yun Fat explained his plans to donate his amassed fortune and said: “My dream is to be a happy and normal person…the hardest thing in life is not about how much money you earn but how to keep a peaceful mindset and live the rest of your life in a simple and carefree manner.”

According to the article, he stays frugal by doing charity work instead of spending it on himself. Read on for other money saving tips we learnt from the thrifty and down-to-earth megastar.

Shop at discount stores

6828f4c2jw1epmwmxo5llj20zk0qoh0b.jpg

Photo: Weibo

Yun Fat was once seen out and about wearing a $20 tee and flip flops that cost $3. He has also been said to frequent discount stores. When asked about it, he told the outlet that he does not dress for others, what matters most is that he feels comfortable.

Follow the film star’s lead and save money on clothes without sacrificing your style by shopping at sample sales and thrift stores. That said, make sure you have a plan. Create a wish list in advance to remind you what you came for. Also, only bring cash so you can’t spend more than you’ve budgeted.

Save money when buying a new phone

“Fat-Gor” revealed on a talk show that he used the same first generation Nokia phone for 17 years and only switched to a smartphone when his Nokia cell became unrepairable.

While we’re not asking you to swap out your smartphone for a candy bar phone, you can save some moolah when buying a new phone by purchasing it directly from the manufacturer.

These devices are sold on a SIM-free basis and can be bought for an upfront fee, reducing your monthly outgoings considerably and offer additional advantages in terms of storage, support and your returns policy.

Eat cheap street food

He might be a multi-millionaire, but he still enjoys eating cheap street food according to an interview with the Taiwanese media.

Take a leaf out of Yun Fat’s book and save a bit of money while eating out in the city by using a reservation app like Fave and Eatigo to find deals and discounts.

Apps like Chope give you points whenever you book through their platform that you can exchange for discounts and dining vouchers at a later date. Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too?

Take public transportation

a54d29c4ly1fvzz5dfs7xj209r0dwmyi.jpg

Photo: Weibo

Yun Fat has often been spotted taking the train in Hong Kong by netizens. In fact, he was seen riding the Taipei MRT while in the country to promote “Project Gutenberg.”

If you’re already commuting via public transport, a money saving hack that you should know and take advantage of the “Distance Fare Scheme.” When you transfer to a different bus/train service within 45 minutes and the total distance is under 3.2km, your transfer ride is free. You’re essentially getting two separate rides for the price of one.

Give back

Ever heard of the old adage, “giving makes you rich?” Rather than splashing out cash to watch a movie or buy a new outfit, save that time and money to give back to the community. In his free time, the “A Better Tomorrow” star has been said to do charity work. Way to go, Yun Fat!

https://www.herworld.com/life/enter...ate-life-savings-net-worth-money-saving-tips/

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice of Fatt Gor to do all these for charity n not spending on himself. But I do find that he's a bit overdoing it. Don't have to shop n eat like the poor, can always buy his clothes n accessories from normal retail stores n it's ok to dine in those normal simple restaurants..Afterall these are all his hard earned $, nothing wrong to indulge a bit on his wife n himself imo...

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Nice of Fatt Gor to do all these for charity n not spending on himself. But I do find that he's a bit overdoing it. Don't have to shop n eat like the poor, can always buy his clothes n accessories from normal retail stores n it's ok to dine in those normal simple restaurants..Afterall these are all his hard earned $, nothing wrong to indulge a bit on his wife n himself imo...
It's makes him happy and satisfied to eat simple street food, wear inexpensive clothes, and to take public transport. No desire to do otherwise, which is fine! I am sure he dines at swanky restaurants once in a while, not everyday like most of his compatriots.

One should be able to lead one's life according to one's own terms, regardless of whether one has money or not. Not bow to society's pressure. In an ideal world, money does not maketh the man, character does.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
This chap lost 1/3 of his wealth n worked for free...but still get abused ....etc..yet few credit n recognition..

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal

he probably is one of those that enjoys being simple,
good for him

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's makes him happy and satisfied to eat simple street food, wear inexpensive clothes, and to take public transport. No desire to do otherwise, which is fine! I am sure he dines at swanky restaurants once in a while, not everyday like most of his compatriots.

One should be able to lead one's life according to one's own terms, regardless of whether one has money or not. Not bow to society's pressure. In an ideal world, money does not maketh the man, character does.
quit smoking, save more
haaaa
can?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
different people different methods of stress release
must be inclusive society OK
haaaa

Whenever i come across smokers i will deliberately cover my nose. If happen to be my relatives i wont hesitate tickg them off. If my elder, i will just pass sm negative comments.:smile: If only MUIS issue a fatwa tat its haram to smoke!:smile:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Whenever i come across smokers i will deliberately cover my nose. If happen to be my relatives i wont hesitate tickg them off. If my elder, i will just pass sm negative comments.:smile: If only MUIS issue a fatwa tat its haram to smoke!:smile:
Abang, peaceful religion remember? Why you so aggro? Make peace with everyone, live and let live. Your inconsistency is causing confusion for me.:frown::biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haram to smoke...but drugs can legalise. m&d logic. Bagus siah.

'Through the mosque': Inside Malaysia's new approach to decriminalising drug use
Posted Sun
Sunday
A close up shot of a syringe prior to a drug user injecting.
Malaysia currently has some of the harshest drug penalties in the world.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
The non-descript white van parked at the mosque entrance went mostly unnoticed.
Key points:
  • Decriminalisation of drug use signals a radical policy change
  • Drug use has led to epidemics of HIV, hepatitis C and TB
  • Traffickers of drugs will still face the death penalty
In conservative Malaysia, very few of the Muslim faithful on their way to afternoon prayers could ever have imagined its true purpose.
After a 40-year war on drugs that has seen two Australians hanged and countless thousands of drug users locked up, the van is a symbol of a dramatic shift in Malaysia's approach to narcotics.
It's a mobile methadone clinic, set up to provide support on the ground as the nation prepares to decriminalise drug use.
"Looking at drug addicts as suffering a form of a disease is crucial," said Nurul Izzah Anwar, a Malaysian Government MP at the forefront of the push for what many proponents simply call "decrim".
Nurul Izzah Anwar
Malaysian MP Nurul Izzah Anwar says around half the country's prison population are drug convicts.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
"So how do you begin that movement? How do you begin to plant the seeds of awareness? It's through the mosque. It's through houses of worship."
Punishments for drug trafficking will remain harsh
In fact, the decriminalisation movement is already well underway with the support of cabinet and even the Prime Minister, according to Law Minister Liew Vui Keong, who has assumed a starkly progressive position by Malaysia's former standards.
He points to the nation's overcrowded prisons, where 56 per cent of inmates are locked up for drug related offences, the vast majority of whom will reoffend upon their release.
Malaysia's Law Minister Liew Vui Keong stares at the camera in a close-up portrait.
Law Minister Liew Vui Keong says a public health approach is the right way to deal with drug use.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
"In our research we found out about 90 per cent of them will go back to prison because they are not finding it easy to get accepted by society," he said.
"They have not got jobs so they will have that tendency to repeat the offences."
Malaysia's penalties for drug possession are among the world's most severe. Possession of 200g of cannabis, 1kg of opium, 40g of cocaine or 15g of heroin or morphine can lead to a drug trafficking charge. A conviction carries the death penalty.
Four people sit on the ground in a closed up market in Kuala Lumpur.
Drug users face harsh social stigma in Malaysia.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
Mr Liew stresses decriminalisation for drug users is not the same as legalisation, noting that those who traffic drugs "still need to be punished".
On the streets of Kuala Lumpur after dark, not far from the sparkling shopping malls and towering office blocks, the ABC found numerous grim examples of drug use and recidivism.
Under the fluorescent lighting of an alley-way, as rats fought over piles of garbage, two men were cooking up a dose of heroin they'd bought for the equivalent of $3.
Unable to find a willing vein anywhere else, they proceeded to administer the drug directly into their necks.
One of the men had been in and out of prison 29 times.
"Even the police officers won't take him now, due to [the number of times he's been] in and out, in and out," said Yatie Jonet, our guide for the evening.
Photo shows Malaysian woman Yatie Jonet standing in a Kuala Lumpur alley.
Yatie Jonet says a punitive approach to addicts is counterproductive.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
A former user herself, Yatie said her two stints in prison only deepened her addiction.
"The moment you step out from that prison, 'Okay, I know where to go, I'll get my drugs.' That's how the punitive system structured me."
'A huge paradigm shift'
Perhaps the most pressing reason for change is public health, with the incidence of HIV among users peaking at 85 per cent during an epidemic in 2004-5.
"The war on drugs has not worked and has created many, many, many negative medical and social impacts," said Professor Adeeba Kamarulzaman, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Malaya.
A woman with glasses stands in a university hallway.
Professor Adeeba Kamarulzaman has long campaigned for harm reduction.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
"From a health perspective, it has resulted in an epidemic of HIV and Hep C. For those who get incarcerated, we are continuing to see a large epidemic of TB infection."
Professor Adeeba, who also leads the University's Centre of Excellence for research in HIV/AIDS, realised something wasn't right in Malaysia while training as a medical student in Australia.
"When I returned to Malaysia all I saw were people who used drugs infected with HIV. That was when we started advocating for the harm reduction program."
But she's under no illusions about the challenge ahead. "It'll be a huge paradigm shift, definitely."
The ABC understands the Government's plans to introduce the proposed law changes into Parliament before Christmas have been delayed until next year.
"[Decriminalisation] still sits uncomfortably for a lot of people. With law enforcement, with religious leaders. With the community at large," said Professor Adeeba.
A man holds a cigarette lighter to his drugs prior to injecting.
Some experts say that the Malaysian war on drugs has failed.( ABC News: Phil Hemingway )
Back at the mobile methadone clinic, Nurul Izzah Anwar shows the local Imam how the van will operate.
Her progressive approach to drugs was also moulded by first-hand experience, after visiting her father, the anointed Prime-Minister-in-waiting, Anwar Ibrahim, in prison.
"For years he was a political prisoner. I've seen how you have more than 50 per cent of convicts in prison who are there because of drug related crimes," she said.
"They are all poor. So you need to showcase an understanding. Harm reduction is the only way to address that."
Posted 15 Sep