• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FAS to field all sinkie team in M League led by the Dazzler V Sundramoorthy!!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A Singapore team for Singaporeans
<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 12px; display: inline-block !important; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 2.2em; ">
Elena-Torrijos_091051.jpg

By Elena Torrijos | Fit to Post Sports – <abbr title="2011-12-06T08:47:56Z" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">23 hours ago</abbr></cite>

630PhotoforElena-1.jpg

LionsXII captain Shahril Ishak (L) and head coach V Sundramoorthy. (Yahoo! photo/ Christine Choo)

COMMENT
By Damon Yeo

It says a lot when the biggest buzz about the unveiling of Singapore's Malaysian Super League(MSL) is just around its name — LionsXII.

For a fancy new team name, a fancy new logo and an upgraded stadium are just about everything new Lions fans can expect for Singapore's much-awaited return to the Malaysia league after a 17-year hiatus.

No less than 13 players named in the squad were drafted from the Courts Young Lions team that finished ninth in the S-League season that just ended. Initially, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) said they were planning to select only five players over the age of 23, but the squad list now has nine "over-aged" players — the oldest being midfielder Shahril Ishak at 28.

It's no surprise that Shahril Ishak has been named team captain. The diminutive midfielder is the most experienced player of the lot, having been around the scene since 2003. He spent the last 18 months plying his trade in Indonesia and is also the current captain of the full senior national team.

21-year-old Hariss Harun being named vice-captain was also no surprise. Hariss skippered the Courts Young Lions for the 2011 S-League season and has often been tipped as future national captain.

The appointment of V Sundramoothy as team coach is also the safe choice for the FAS. Many fans still remember Sundram for his spectacular overhead kick in an M-League match back in 1993, but since then the 46-year-old has managed to carve out a moderately successful coaching career, first with the now-defunct Jurong FC in 1999 and then with the Young Lions in 2007.

Given that the team has about a full month to prepare for the competition, Sundram's appointment is preferred over any foreign coach at this stage.

But here's where I commend the FAS: In a bold move, it has decided to go 100 per cent local.

There was no mention of any foreign additions in the LionsXII squad list. Admittedly, Nigerian-born Agu Casmir is the only player not born within our shores, but the striker has been a naturalised citizen since 2004.

Maybe the FAS finally considered the sentiments of a majority of football fans out there who have lashed out at the Foreign Talent Scheme (FTS).

Maybe the FAS took into account the success of the 2011 Lion City Cup and how the youth-level tournament attracted more crowds and generated more buzz than any of the 2011 S-League matches. Singapore's U15s and the U16s, made up only of local schoolboys, were widely praised for their performances as they finished third and second, respectively.

Maybe money was another consideration. FAS says the team budget is in the tune of $2 million-a-year. It does sound like a significant amount, but anyone in football knows that the annual wages of two really top-quality foreigners will eat away a sizeable chunk of that budget.

Whether this calculated strategy of grooming local talent from FAS will pay off in the campaign, I do not know given that all 13 other teams in next year's Malaysian Super League are allowed to sign two foreign players for the domestic competition.

Sabah FA, one of participants of the 2012 Malaysia Super League, has already snapped up two Australians with very impressive CVs.

Whatever the case, the good thing is that the fans will have a full local team to cheer on next year.

I know before in the good old Malaysia Cup days, we had the likes of Michael Vana, Craig Foster, Abbas Saad and Jang Jung representing Singapore but that was before the days of the Foreign Talent Scheme and Singapore then is not the Singapore we know now.

So I for one applaud the FAS' move to go local. And I will be there to cheer MY Lions on.

Damon Yeo was a barely a teenager when Singapore won the double in Malaysia back in 1994 but has not stopped supporting the national team and the S-League since.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, its good to go local but not if we go on to lose every match. Looking at the team sheet, I think we will end up proping the league.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best news in recent times! Engineering kelong matches very lucrative. Sure to happen. Bet on it.

Kelong is bad news for me. I don't know how to detect kelong :( That's why I try to avoid betting on S-League as much as possible :smile:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Care to elaborate?

Soccer matches up north is kelong big time. Since S'pore's now involved, surely some bizminded chaps will collaborate with existing syndicates in M'sia.

When active as a player, Sundram was closely associated with a known kelong king in the Sembawang area. Sundram used to drive a Jaguar. Red colour I think.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kelong is bad news for me. I don't know how to detect kelong :( That's why I try to avoid betting on S-League as much as possible :smile:

Some suspicion in the past when matches involved 6-9 goals coz better payout from SgPools and less suspicious. A good indicator are the odds offered by IBCBET on M-League matches which mirrors matches and odds from Bulgaria and Hungary.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 12px; display: inline-block !important; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 2.2em; "></cite>If this is REALLY true about a 100% SG team, I fucking swear I will buy a satellite dish just to watch the SG matches live here is Oz!

Woohoo! Msia Cup is back!

Last edited:

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leemember to pull up some old Malaysia Cup cheers from YouTube when Singapore scores. :biggrin:

<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 12px; display: inline-block !important; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 2.2em; "></cite>If this is REALLY true about a 100% SG team, I fucking swear I will buy a satellite dish just to watch the SG matches live here is Oz!

Woohoo! Msia Cup is back!

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sundram was a fantastic player. One of the best Singapore has ever produced. As a coach? Well, I have my doubts. He is a good coach up to S-League standards. However, I don't think he can cut it on the international level.

I really hope that I'll be proved wrong...........

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets give Sundram and this team a chance.. Lets see how they will fare in the Malaysia Cup.. Its an all Sinkie line up.. Was surprise to see FT player Agu Casmir in the side.. I don't rate him that highly.. His place should have gone to another local born player.. The young chap Hariss Harun is one hell of a player.. He is a mammoth young talent that will only gets better with age.. As for the senior side, maybe its time that dour cranky Serb gets the boot.. Give the job to Fandi..

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if its all sinkie team, they have my sarpok. Nvm if we become cellar dwellers - its part of development.

But I caution, read between the lines.

This XII is touted as savior of the Ass-league - to salvage dwindling attendance. I am pretty sure, the stadiums will be packed for the initial matches, but if we become cellar dwellers, expect attendance to fall.

And the gates receipt will be used to fund the Ass-league - yes, and the fucking FTS.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets Give Our Sarpok To This All Sporean Team..Let The Good Times Roll Once Again..!!! FAS should feel Honoured to have The Backing Of The SBF in Their Quest To Recapture The Malaysia Cup once again..

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wow sundramoorthy my lightning winger and scorer the coach!!! well done singapore!!! first or last, singaporeans must come together to support OUR OWN TEAM...all Singaporeans!! Ole Ole Ole !!!...Old Uncle will come and support - rain or shine, near or far,here or in Penang. I will go to support our All Singaporean Team !!! well done!!
drink Kopi O to all our Singaporean players! And wish you luck Mr Sundramoorthy!!!!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Soccer matches up north is kelong big time. Since S'pore's now involved, surely some bizminded chaps will collaborate with existing syndicates in M'sia.

When active as a player, Sundram was closely associated with a known kelong king in the Sembawang area. Sundram used to drive a Jaguar. Red colour I think.

i saw sundram a couple of days after spore defeat at the hand of the ah tiong at jalan besar. while i cannot exactly remember where i saw him but i remember it a 4d shop, he park his car at the roadside while he go in to place a bet. the car is a "Li-boon" chia and 1.6model. sorry cannot remember the brand and colour.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ass Leak kelong is control by Spools. The way Spool kelong even worst then those illegal bookies. by controlling the ref, Spools can open whatever scoreline it fancy to ensure the smallest payout.

So in a sense, the msia league could be more honest than the ass leak. no matter how powerful the illegal bookies are, they cannot compare to spools in term of control of the match.

why bet on football, bet on horse, it more honest. when a horse want to win, even the best jockey also cannot terik.:smile: