• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Faces of 2012: Chan Chun Sing - Next PM?

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arguably, one of the worst ministers we have had for a long time and this takes into consideration the likes of MBT, WKS, VB etc.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether he is pee am or not is not up to him. It's up to us to say. In another 1-2 GEs maybe the ruling MIWs will go the way of the dinosaur and this mother farker will end up an office boy.

RandomMonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether he is pee am or not is not up to him. It's up to us to say. In another 1-2 GEs maybe the ruling MIWs will go the way of the dinosaur and this mother farker will end up an office boy.

The method that the Singapore establishment uses to select leaders is truly retarded. It is a throwback to feudal times (i.e. Imperial Exams in ancient China). If you are a President Scholar you are going to be groomed to be a minister or perm sec. In fact, if you are NOT a scholar, it will be almost impossible to break through to the elite rungs of public administration.

The fact is, how can you judge a person based on how he scored in an examination at the age of 18?

I personally know many students from RJC/HCJC/VJC who manage to ace their exams through cramming and memorisation, not to mention mastery of exam techniques such as question-spotting. They are completely hopeless at real skills such as communication, inter-personal relations, public speaking, leadership and so on. Many do not even remember whatever they studied, even though they got straight As in their exams.

And you are telling me this is how we select the people who will lead the country?

It would be far wiser to select leaders based on real life experience (read: non-academic, non-SAF experience). Preferably they should have also worked overseas for a few years for a proper private sector company.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The method that the Singapore establishment uses to select leaders is truly retarded. It is a throwback to feudal times (i.e. Imperial Exams in ancient China). If you are a President Scholar you are going to be groomed to be a minister or perm sec. In fact, if you are NOT a scholar, it will be almost impossible to break through to the elite rungs of public administration.

The fact is, how can you judge a person based on how he scored in an examination at the age of 18?

I personally know many students from RJC/HCJC/VJC who manage to ace their exams through cramming and memorisation, not to mention mastery of exam techniques such as question-spotting. They are completely hopeless at real skills such as communication, inter-personal relations, public speaking, leadership and so on. Many do not even remember whatever they studied, even though they got straight As in their exams.

And you are telling me this is how we select the people who will lead the country?

It would be far wiser to select leaders based on real life experience (read: non-academic, non-SAF experience). Preferably they should have also worked overseas for a few years for a proper private sector company.

There were so many scholars of his year, but only he knew how to toe the line enough to get promoted so fast (even faster than LHL) in the military. 40 yrs old and COA? As I said, even the North Koreans would laugh--including Kim Jong-un, who is not even a scholar.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spot on, bro.

If President Scholars are the panacea to problems in society, how come many do not make it to PS or minister positions? There are many left on shelves in the civil service and MNCs. They failed in earlier postings. Their stay in entities, after their failures in earlier tests, can also be considered under the Bo Pien Act. Govt can't discard them and slap themselves, eh? If really that good, the private sector will hunt them down. I don't recall any.

On the other hand, many non-president scholars and OMSs made it to the upper echelon in the civil service.

The conclusion is crystal clear. Having best academic results doesn't mean that person can handle all subsequent postings in life thereafter. Look at our MIWs today and the answer is there for all to see.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on, bro.

If President Scholars are the panacea to problems in society, how come many do not make it to PS or minister positions? There are many left on shelves in the civil service and MNCs. They failed in earlier postings. Their stay in entities, after their failures in earlier tests, can also be considered under the Bo Pien Act. Govt can't discard them and slap themselves, eh? If really that good, the private sector will hunt them down. I don't recall any.

On the other hand, many non-president scholars and OMSs made it to the upper echelon in the civil service.

The conclusion is crystal clear. Having best academic results doesn't mean that person can handle all subsequent postings in life thereafter. Look at our MIWs today and the answer is there for all to see.

Also it's questionable whether they actually got their grades or was it simply handed to them.

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen Show Mao

Education:
Catholic High School
Anglo Chinese School
National Junior College

1986 - Major in Economics - Harvard University
1988 - Rhodes Scholar - Oxford University
1992 - Juris Doctor - Stanford Law School
2005 - MA - Oxford University

Career:
Partner - Davis Polk and Wardwell.
Managing Partner - Davis Polk and Wardwell, Beijing
Advisory - Agri Bank of China, ICBC, CNOOC, Air China, Sinopec, CCB, Foxconn
IPO M&A - JPM Chase, Morgan Stanley, Foxconn, HTC, TSMC, UMC
Worked with - China Investment Corporation, Twn Stk Exch, HKSE

National Service:
DYS1 - HQ 3 SIB

Politics:
MP for Aljunied GRC

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spare Tyre For LHL ?

a4test_boot2.jpg

More like a ponding (or another seat warmer) for 2nd neopotism to come!

He's just a spare tyre for a 'low hong' Yeo who went flat at the last GE. Supporting the Lee fascist programme is often primary.