• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-Rhodes Scholar is potential WP candidate

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks we are backtracking. So he did not pass the test and not what was originally claimed.

The test is not the issue and not relevant. If I had not raised this, you guys would have swallowed bullshit like it was a delicacy.

It is also important that people check their facts and not make claims that are not true. His credibility and yours is gone as well.

Spinning a story around the test and sidestepping the issue is not a smart thing to do.

I will vote anyone other than the PAP as I want the monopoly on power to go. I know that he is close to the establishment and surprised to see him in the opposition camp. I am still wondering what is going on.

I like to make the following comments:-

1) The medical aptitude test is largey based on two weeks of clinical observation, I think. It can be subjective and in some cases inaccurate. It can also be used as a tool to spread out the outstanding individual from doing medicine. The group of people who suffer the most are those who are brilliant but poor. Often when rejected from doing medicine, they have no other options but to settle down on something which is not their preferred choice.

2) Vivian Bala did physical science in JC while most of the bright science students would offer physics and chemistry in those days. In a certain sense, he may not be competing with the best students of his generation at A-level in some key areas.

3) How "pragmatic" can someone be if he chooses to read Philosophy at Oxford under the Rhodes Scholarship?

3) While Chen SM may not have live in Singapore permanently after NS, he live in Hong Kong and China for the last ten years or so. He will be able to provide some valuable insight which are often so lacking in our current MPs in parliament.

However, I am doubtful he will stand and will be surprise if he does so.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sometime ago there was discussion in this forums and also in certain circles that establishment friendly high achievers would be asked to join the opposition or create opposition parties to provide balance to the PAP. For very long time the person who was said to lead this or keen to lead this was Simon Tay. Simon was also part of Roundtable that played a similar role. The talk was that it will be an extension of NMP programme but clearly in the opposition role in the formal sense.

What about LKY's repeated assertion that it is not the job of the PAP to build the opposition?

Surely a misleading statement meant to confuse the reader and obscure the way politics is played in Singapore.

If wat u say is true, its more evidence PAP does interfere in these kind of things. Of course, the aim won't be build a credible opposition that can potentially outshine it, but to create a facade.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If wat u say is true, its more evidence PAP does interfere in these kind of things. Of course, the aim won't be build a credible opposition that can potentially outshine it, but to create a facade.

Based on the little I know, Opposition politics is heavily 'influenced' by the PAP. Look at the number of opposition parties we have registered with ROS. Can they all be real?
Can't be the case.

What's the reason for the existence of these parties? To show the world we have complete freedom to form political parties etc. Cash to fund and support these parties is never a problem. It's from taxpayers. Taxpayers' money is used to ensure the continued existence of the MIW. That is the haad and brutal truth.

If I suggest at least 2 (past and/or present) Opposition MPs are/were 'fed', would anyone believe me? Lightning strike me if I happen to lie here. I pity the real opposition chaps who aren't aware who the 'fed' ones are. The MIW is well-fed with up-to-date intelligence on everything that happened and will happen in the opposition parties.

For a start, be cautious of self-employed bizmen ! Why? They need the time and freedom to meet "KPIs" set. They cannot afford to have their bosses scrutinising their every move and phone calls. Most bosses are also negative towards opposition politicians.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on the little I know, Opposition politics is heavily 'influenced' by the PAP. Look at the number of opposition parties we have registered with ROS. Can they all be real?
Can't be the case.

What's the reason for the existence of these parties? To show the world we have complete freedom to form political parties etc. Cash to fund and support these parties is never a problem. It's from taxpayers. Taxpayers' money is used to ensure the continued existence of the MIW. That is the haad and brutal truth.

If I suggest at least 2 (past and/or present) Opposition MPs are/were 'fed', would anyone believe me? Lightning strike me if I happen to lie here. I pity the real opposition chaps who aren't aware who the 'fed' ones are. The MIW is well-fed with up-to-date intelligence on everything that happened and will happen in the opposition parties.

For a start, be cautious of self-employed bizmen ! Why? They need the time and freedom to meet "KPIs" set. They cannot afford to have their bosses scrutinising their every move and phone calls. Most bosses are also negative towards opposition politicians.

To those monitoring, yes, it is me. I am back.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well said. Even more pitiful are people like GMS who's simply a mad cow made used of by well fed cattle.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Since you say Opposition MPs we have very few choices:

1. JBJ
2. Chiam See Tong
3. Lee Siew Choh NCMP
4. (Francis Seow?)
5. Ling How Doong
6. Cheo Chai Chen
7. Low Thia Kiang
8. Steve Chia NCMP
9. Sylvia Lim NCMP

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal

Isn't LTK a businessman?!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since you say Opposition MPs we have very few choices:

1. JBJ
2. Chiam See Tong
3. Lee Siew Choh NCMP
4. (Francis Seow?)
5. Ling How Doong
6. Cheo Chai Chen
7. Low Thia Kiang
8. Steve Chia NCMP
9. Sylvia Lim NCMP

You shouldn't have contributed here. Honestly, I was expecting you. Been monitoring you for awhile already. You merely confirmed my hunch.

To reward you, I exclude these chaps - JBJ, CST, LSC, FS, SL.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
based on prof keson tan's eg., a president's scholar no less, i dont think such a claim is "rubbish"...as for being a citizen, u wld hv tot that since Chen appears to be "ultra practical or clinical" he wld hv at least tried to dodge NS???...btw i dont think too highly of the Rhodes Scholarship nowadays...i mean if the likes of desmond koh n joscelin yeo can be awarded RS...does not say v much viz academic criteria eh?
Frankly the test ability to size people is not the issue. The impression created is that he was not allowed to do Medicine because he was the top student. That's rubbish. If someone makes such a claim, he must assume that people are gullible or naive.

I am more pissed with the fact he took citizenship in the same year as the Rhodes Scholarship. Ultra practical or clinical is very apt here. I am also sad that the committee made that decision. He was here for nearly 20 years and then he decides to be citizen.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never trust the old man or his govt.

What about LKY's repeated assertion that it is not the job of the PAP to build the opposition?

Surely a misleading statement meant to confuse the reader and obscure the way politics is played in Singapore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The claim was that he could not attend medicine because he was a top student. I am stating that he failed the test that other top student including the President Scholar for that year passed. You are asked if I was sure and I said yes.

It is question of credibility.

I never said that Rhodes Scholarship was prestigious or well regarded. The fact that he became a citizen in the year and applied for Rhodes Scholarship. One has to apply for it and one has to be Singapore citizen for the Singapore quota.

I am still waiting for hints of humanity if any. Frankly if NS is a criteria for anything, we are doomed.

My part that I am curious is why WP and what the agenda is. Everything he has done points to ultra practical and the standing as an opposition candidate does not strike me as ultra practical . It just does not add up.

based on prof keson tan's eg., a president's scholar no less, i dont think such a claim is "rubbish"...as for being a citizen, u wld hv tot that since Chen appears to be "ultra practical or clinical" he wld hv at least tried to dodge NS???...btw i dont think too highly of the Rhodes Scholarship nowadays...i mean if the likes of desmond koh n joscelin yeo can be awarded RS...does not say v much viz academic criteria eh?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
My part that I am curious is why WP and what the agenda is. Everything he has done points to ultra practical and the standing as an opposition candidate does not strike me as ultra practical . It just does not add up.

Why is it that anyone electable appearing in the opposition gets scrutinised? This guy (or KJ or TT or HP) beats the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan anyday. Or the O Level divorced housewife the SDP is putting up as a candidate.