• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-Rhodes Scholar is potential WP candidate

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bishan Toa Payoh 3 corner fight? SPP/SDP and PAP?

not sure SPP & SDP have enough candidates for the WKS fight or not,,,,,,

will be happy to see if Tpy is being contested. Pretty good chance of runover

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe someone can shed some light on his non ultra-pragmatic endeavors. Even a fraction of Geoffrey Robertson's work on this space would be good for his outlook.

My concern is that he has not been persuaded by the establishment to partake in elections similar to Chua Kim Yow plus the guaranteed seat as he is close to the establishment.

I don't think he is that ultra practical. If he was he would have joined PAP giving him a higher chance of getting elected. His credentials should enough have PAP to push him up for elections

And there is nothing wrong with being Pragmatic. Pragmatic pple makes good Ministerial material. The compassionate ones only make good MPs.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pragmatic pple makes good Ministerial material. The compassionate ones only make good MPs.

Yeah... that's why the ministers are paid a few million dollars a year while the MPs get only $13K a month.

Well, pragmatism has its privileges.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bishan Toa Payoh 3 corner fight? SPP/SDP and PAP?

not sure SPP & SDP have enough candidates for the WKS fight or not,,,,,,

will be happy to see if Tpy is being contested. Pretty good chance of runover

SDP should just give up and go to those Suicide wards. Most pple with half a brain wont vote for them on a good day. In a 3 corner fight, they will confirm lose their deposit. If they go to suicide ward. pple will be grateful for a chance to vote and they might actually get back their deposit

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP should just give up and go to those Suicide wards. Most pple with half a brain wont vote for them on a good day. In a 3 corner fight, they will confirm lose their deposit. If they go to suicide ward. pple will be grateful for a chance to vote and they might actually get back their deposit

From what I've heard over past two years or so, SDP ground activities have been concentrated in H-BT and B-TP. Half of their leading members have been disqualified from standing. I doubt they can raise two teams. If there's still some sense in them, please go disturb LSS and VB, and let CST fight WKS.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am hazarding a guess here but I think that he was with PAP and did not seem to have gone far.

I wonder if WP has been bitten by the scholarbug that PAP loves to peddle.

This chap has not been in Singapore for much of his life. I wonder if he knows the local mannerisms and quirks well enough to connect with the ground.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Working and living outside of Singapore does not mean cannot visit often.

Yes, I'd rather vote for people like him who spent lots of time abroad and have seen the world around, instead of deaf frogs in the well who thinks the well is the world and all's well.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I salute the guy. He has already got it made, if he wants another feather in his cap in politics then I think going to PAP is so much easier.
The fact he chose to return and put his name up says it all. It would be good if he does run and got into parliament.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This chap has not been in Singapore for much of his life. I wonder if he knows the local mannerisms and quirks well enough to connect with the ground.

He will be similar to KJ. I think if in SMC, quite tough coz like you said, can he connect with the people? If GRC, he can leave the connecting part to his team mates and supporters. He can play the role of Francis Seow?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I'd rather vote for people like him who spent lots of time abroad and have seen the world around, instead of deaf frogs in the well who thinks the well is the world and all's well.

More importantly, there is hope he will speak for the people. That's what MPs are for.

With MIW, they will kuai-kuai toe the line. Once a decision is made, all the followers will comply. Whatever debate is wayang.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I salute the guy. He has already got it made, if he wants another feather in his cap in politics then I think going to PAP is so much easier.
The fact he chose to return and put his name up says it all. It would be good if he does run and got into parliament.

Still wondering how the contact and proposal was made. WP or its member initiated the move or the other way round? Just curious. Either way, it will be interesting.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still wondering how the contact and proposal was made. WP or its member initiated the move or the other way round? Just curious. Either way, it will be interesting.

I think Ram sure knows, but somehow he doesn't want to post here anymore. Anyway, I CNP to Plan B, see if he replies.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
unfortunately the dean at that time or close to that time is presently mourning the death of his wife so i rather not bother him...anyways like i said before i hv little regard for this so called test...i now recall the chap i used as an eg. Prof Keson Tan was a PS no less in 80'...i gather keson had his heart set on becoming a medico but was rejected n offered dentistry instead...did he really lack med eq???...i hv loads of other egs. of accepted medicos after 80' who apparently went into the med fac for the wrong reasons...

be that as it may...back to Chen...i shall be keen to hear him out n let him make his case...if Dom's son can stand as a miw...i say let us give Chen a chance...at least Chen appears to hv served out his 2.5yrs unlike Dom's son...

1) Yes, he failed the test. That year they had vocational attachment before selection. I think it was 2 weeks or so. As it was the pioneer batch, the top medical people wanted to be sure so they monitored it.

3) It does not make sense to deny a person a place in Medicine just because he was a top student. The govt chose a policy of applying incentives and disincentives to move some of the smart ones to pursue non-medical option. One of the disincentive is not to recognise medical qualifications from overseas except for a miserable elite few institutions. The irony was persuading Viv to do medicine when the public spiel was the opposite.

4) You may wish to check with your family and relatives who are in the medical profession about the aptitude test for 1979 A level batch and for subsequent intakes.

5) I like the word "ultra practical". Very apt for him. I can't see anything that he did suggesting that he was into humane things or along the lines of humanity related work. Anyone can recall a letter, an article or a mention along these lines would be helpful.

6) Have checked on him since my post. He has never worked in Singapore since leaving NS for overseas. In fact he has not been residing here since NS. That's 25 years.

7) Changing citizenship for Rhodes Scholarship seems to be another "ultra-practical move"

Maybe someone can shed some light on his non ultra-pragmatic endeavors. Even a fraction of Geoffrey Robertson's work on this space would be good for his outlook.

My concern is that he has not been persuaded by the establishment to partake in elections similar to Chua Kim Yow plus the guaranteed seat as he is close to the establishment.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You certainly take the cake for coming out with a comment that students deliberately aimed for Bs in their A levels to get into medicine.

The vocational attachmnent/aptitude test was open to all and was based on academic results and no different to any previous years. The only change was voc/apt test. Those who did not pass this test did not qualify for medicine.

There was no committee or rule that ruled out top students. There was however a lot of spin in the papers and PSC persuading top grads to move to other professions.

The Govt also stopped recognising foreign medical degrees even from perfectly good institutions except for a tiny minority in order to stop the rich from pursuing medicine.

That rule of not recognising has been removed and there are close to 600 singaporeans from rich families pursuing medicine in Uni in OZ, NZ, Canada, UK and the US each year. Most however don't return.

There was a policy of "spreading" the most talented across the professions. The PAPzis perceived that too many of the top students ended up in medical school and thus channelled them to other faculties like engineering, accountancy and law. Please read the following paper for some perspective.

Many of my peers who wanted to go into medical school deliberately got Bs so as not to fall within the creme de la creme. Some succeeded, others didn't. The main result of this engineering was that NUS admission became very opaque. Nobody quite knew what the criteria for entry were.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...47gYiI&sig=AHIEtbTnAbiAFX33odY-OSbiyxcfQuteNQ

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the part that I too am curious about.

Sometime ago there was discussion in this forums and also in certain circles that establishment friendly high achievers would be asked to join the opposition or create opposition parties to provide balance to the PAP. For very long time the person who was said to lead this or keen to lead this was Simon Tay. Simon was also part of Roundtable that played a similar role. The talk was that it will be an extension of NMP programme but clearly in the opposition role in the formal sense.

Pure speculation but the coincidence is remarkable. This guy is known to Simon and from the same year.

Frankly I never saw this coming.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly the test ability to size people is not the issue. The impression created is that he was not allowed to do Medicine because he was the top student. That's rubbish. If someone makes such a claim, he must assume that people are gullible or naive.

I am more pissed with the fact he took citizenship in the same year as the Rhodes Scholarship. Ultra practical or clinical is very apt here. I am also sad that the committee made that decision. He was here for nearly 20 years and then he decides to be citizen.

unfortunately the dean at that time or close to that time is presently mourning the death of his wife so i rather not bother him...anyways like i said before i hv little regard for this so called test...i now recall the chap i used as an eg. Prof Keson Tan was a PS no less in 80'...i gather keson had his heart set on becoming a medico but was rejected n offered dentistry instead...did he really lack med eq???...i hv loads of other egs. of accepted medicos after 80' who apparently went into the med fac for the wrong reasons...

be that as it may...back to Chen...i shall be keen to hear him out n let him make his case...if Dom's son can stand as a miw...i say let us give Chen a chance...at least Chen appears to hv served out his 2.5yrs unlike Dom's son...