• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-citizen's regret

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Feb 13, 2010

EX-CITIZEN'S REGRET
Missing Singapore

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
THIRTY years ago, I left Singapore for Australia for personal reasons. Although I was not required to surrender my citizenship, I traded it in for my Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions, as I wished to buy property in Australia.
I enjoyed the change for a few years but the novelty wore off. Why wasn't I any happier? I discovered the answer after my mother's recent death in Singapore. I was overcome with emotion when I met numerous former school friends, neighbours and relatives at her wake. It seemed the links had never been severed - only temporarily disconnected.
Possible reasons for not feeling happier after the shift have crystallised: nostalgia for the island republic and for family and friends. Worst of all, the realisation that my decision to relinquish my Singaporean citizenship was a colossal mistake.
To validate my feelings, I read papers by 'cross-cultural psychologists' on such issues as acculturation, age, personality, education, socio-economic status and cultural background.
My bouts of loneliness are valid. The loss of country, identity, family and friends can be tantamount to mourning the loss of a loved one.
When my mother was alive, my husband and I undertook the annual 'pilgrimage' to Singapore, and the first thing I missed when I returned was the animation Singapore offered. Not surprisingly, when I returned to Melbourne this time, I felt particularly miserable and displaced.
I dearly miss the exuberance Singapore offers. The lush green equatorial landscape and clean streets (sans discarded dirty mattresses and old carpets) beautify the island. Coffee shops and restaurants seem to be continuously feeding customers.
Singapore can boast an excellent work ethic. Reliable, hardworking and honest, Singaporeans don't take 'sickies'. Buses and trains run quietly and to schedule. Most people are friendly. The streets are relatively safe. Eating out is still cheap. Singaporeans enjoy a better standard of living. How I wish I had more foresight, rather than hindsight.
Housing is not an issue in Singapore. CPF contributions can be used to buy comfortable accommodation.
The Government is continually improving existing infrastructure: Flats are upgraded, new MRT stations are built and covered overhead bridges constructed - all for the convenience of Singaporeans.
Australia has my allegiance and loyalty, but I can't help feeling a Singaporean at heart.
Maureen Pollard (Ms)

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can somebody tell her that she could cum back to try her luck as FTrash. Then she would have felt fortunate have giving up her pink tampon.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feb 13, 2010

EX-CITIZEN'S REGRET
Missing Singapore

THIRTY years ago, I left Singapore for Australia for personal reasons. Although I was not required to surrender my citizenship, I traded it in for my Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions, as I wished to buy property in Australia.
I enjoyed the change for a few years but the novelty wore off. Why wasn't I any happier? I discovered the answer after my mother's recent death in Singapore. I was overcome with emotion when I met numerous former school friends, neighbours and relatives at her wake. It seemed the links had never been severed - only temporarily disconnected.
Possible reasons for not feeling happier after the shift have crystallised: nostalgia for the island republic and for family and friends. Worst of all, the realisation that my decision to relinquish my Singaporean citizenship was a colossal mistake.
To validate my feelings, I read papers by 'cross-cultural psychologists' on such issues as acculturation, age, personality, education, socio-economic status and cultural background.
My bouts of loneliness are valid. The loss of country, identity, family and friends can be tantamount to mourning the loss of a loved one.
When my mother was alive, my husband and I undertook the annual 'pilgrimage' to Singapore, and the first thing I missed when I returned was the animation Singapore offered. Not surprisingly, when I returned to Melbourne this time, I felt particularly miserable and displaced.
I dearly miss the exuberance Singapore offers. The lush green equatorial landscape and clean streets (sans discarded dirty mattresses and old carpets) beautify the island. Coffee shops and restaurants seem to be continuously feeding customers.
Singapore can boast an excellent work ethic. Reliable, hardworking and honest, Singaporeans don't take 'sickies'. Buses and trains run quietly and to schedule. Most people are friendly. The streets are relatively safe. Eating out is still cheap. Singaporeans enjoy a better standard of living. How I wish I had more foresight, rather than hindsight.
Housing is not an issue in Singapore. CPF contributions can be used to buy comfortable accommodation.
The Government is continually improving existing infrastructure: Flats are upgraded, new MRT stations are built and covered overhead bridges constructed - all for the convenience of Singaporeans.
Australia has my allegiance and loyalty, but I can't help feeling a Singaporean at heart.
Maureen Pollard (Ms)

She got herself to blame. Married a angmo Australian why still need to relinquish her citizenship just to withdraw CPF to buy a house? Big mistake, I think she regret because if she were to marry a Singaporean then she could use her husband's CPF to buy a house.

Giving up Sg citizenship to become a Australian doesn't make you less Singaporean. A lot of PRCs given up their chinese citizenship but still have China deep in their roots and they would go back every year, but ask them if they would move back to China permanently they will not hesitate to say NO even China is a economy superpowerhouse today.

Again, only uniquely Singaporeans will make a big fuss about giving up their citizenship. If you knew you would regret later, why do it in the first place?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
IWC2006: She got herself to blame. Married a angmo Australian why still need to relinquish her citizenship just to withdraw CPF to buy a house? Big mistake, I think she regret because if she were to marry a Singaporean then she could use her husband's CPF to buy a house.

Haha.. KNN.. my wifey did just that ! bloody unfair..

Giving up Sg citizenship to become a Australian doesn't make you less Singaporean. A lot of PRCs given up their chinese citizenship but still have China deep in their roots and they would go back every year, but ask them if they would move back to China permanently they will not hesitate to say NO even China is a economy superpowerhouse today.

Yup, agreed. It is the heart that counts.. not the pink card.. so can anyone please tell our SG govt to let us collect our hard earned money asap !

Again, only uniquely Singaporeans will make a big fuss about giving up their citizenship. If you knew you would regret later, why do it in the first place?

Aiyo.. who said you cant reinstate your citizenship ? Just declare.. it is the moment of foolish act loh & seek forgiveness lah, hehe.. SG accepts the half-baked, cunning, liar China-nese... I'm sure SG will accept us, once served the country with pride for 2.5yrs..

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
when she lived in perth and with all the needs taken care of;
- free medical
- pension
- no fear of job loss or displacement
- adequate civilian and work rights

she HAS the time and luxury to ponder and nurse her higher level of psychological needs (maslow's law).

BUT if she has one of the above pillar is taken away, i dont think she will contemplate and think so fondly about live in sg.

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't really see the point of giving up singapore citizenship. I dun really know whats the big difference between PR and citizenship of other countries.

can anyone tell me?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest, women are dampened by personal feelings. When I was in California, one of my neighbours was a HK couple. The husband never had the thought of moving back to HK but the wife wanted to because of her family living there. Likewise, when I was in Sydney, I met a travel agent from Nepal working there. She told me that her husband likes Oz but she would move back to Nepal at the 'drop of a coin'.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be honest, women are dampened by personal feelings. When I was in California, one of my neighbours was a HK couple. The husband never had the thought of moving back to HK but the wife wanted to because of her family living there. Likewise, when I was in Sydney, I met a travel agent from Nepal working there. She told me that her husband likes Oz but she would move back to Nepal at the 'drop of a coin'.

women are also motivated or influenced by her circle of friends. if she is anti-social, introverted, a bitch, an arsehole or a nimwit, she normally has nobody close to hang around with and therefore exhibits behavior of those pining for a faraway and perhaps familiar land, hoping to break her rut and overturn her failure of keeping friends (and/or family). her pining for her previous homeland or another fantasy island is just a sorry excuse for her not being able to form her inner circle of trusted buddies where ever she resides. naturally, the thoughts of family back "home" beckons more with each passing day. time and space do make hearts grow fonder. the moment she returns "home", she is gonna exhibit the same bitchy behavior that will piss off her (original) family, relatives and friends or vice versa (they're gonna piss her off), and the moronic cycle starts all over again. after a couple of months back "home", she will want to return to her real home.

how many fucking times have i heard this stupid story? countless.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinks have changed over the last 2 decades and the status of nationality has moved some way from the point of emotional attachment to a key for economic well being.

Nearly all countries require citizenship to join the civil service and access special programs like scholarships etc. There is also protection by the government when travelling overseas. It also provides peace of mind when you comfortable in your new country. Singapore is an exception where to join the Civil service including the elite Admin Service one does not need to be a citizen.

The general approach has been to acquire citizenship if its a 1st world country as it has brighter future and protect you just in case they change the rules and lower the status of PR and increase the degree of difficulty in obtaining citizenship.

Many Malaysians, Hong Kongers etc retain only their PR status and hope to return home when they retire with their fortunes made or at least return for long trips. Singaporeans have one of the highest conversions rates to foreign citizenship driven by one singular factor - to access the lucrative CPF fund to purchase their new home.

At the end, its a personal decision based on needs.

I don't really see the point of giving up singapore citizenship. I dun really know whats the big difference between PR and citizenship of other countries.

can anyone tell me?[/QU

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strongly worded but accurate. The worst are relatives that can't qualify but constantly poke fire. Migration has to be approached as a purely family decision with no part to be played by relatives and friends. Never even give them the opportunity.

When the family has finally settled down in their new country, its the same troublemakers that will seek help and sponsorship.

women are also motivated or influenced by her circle of friends. if she is anti-social, introverted, a bitch, an arsehole or a nimwit, .

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Feb 13, 2010

EX-CITIZEN'S REGRET
Missing Singapore

I enjoyed the change for a few years but the novelty wore off. Why wasn't I any happier?nostalgia for the island republic and for family and friends. Worst of all, the realisation that my decision to relinquish my Singaporean citizenship was a colossal mistake.
When my mother was alive, my husband and I undertook the annual 'pilgrimage' to Singapore,

Maureen Pollard (Ms)

Hey,

Some of these can be quite true, I missed Singapore, but when I go back Singapore, the first few days in Singapore quite fun, then the novelty die off and I started missing my home in Perth. First, I miss my house, my expresso maker, my car - and most of all, my lifestyle.

Some people say, when we grow old, we will miss the things we grow up with.
Perhaps, I missed the Katong of the past. East Coast look different now. Even in Singapore, I missed the old times. But in Perth, I have time to miss the old time (when I am not busy enjoying life) and not perspire under the humidity.

1. I still dislike the SG weather.
2. Relatives are fine, until they started their gossips and you realise why you left.
3. Friends still have no time for me.

Is this maureen pollard for real? What "allegiance and loyalty" - sound very like PAP.

DOES THE PAP HAVE HEART, NO!
THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN $$$ - YOUR CPF.
No CPF and you are no Singaporean - whether your father is a national hero or you are served NS!!!!!

Who is the one with no compassion - Australia or Singapore?
Australia offers dual nationality, working holidays and you can even regain Aussie citizenship after renouncing it.
Australia allows us to enjoy 2 nationalities and she is fine with it - it is our rights now. What a generous country. Just that Singapore is petty and choose to con us with words like loyality, etc - that kind of BS that make us uncomfortable with such arrangment! Quitters so what
:oIo:

LOOK, I ONLY LIVE THIS LIFE ONCE, AND I AM NOT GOING TO LET PAP RUIN IT FOR ME!

Last edited:

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey,

Some of these can be quite true, I missed Singapore, but when I go back Singapore, the first few days in Singapore quite fun, then the novelty die off and I started missing my home in Perth. First, I miss my house, my expresso maker, my car - and most of all, my lifestyle.

Some people say, when we grow old, we will miss the things we grow up with.
Perhaps, I missed the Katong of the past. East Coast look different now. Even in Singapore, I missed the old times. But in Perth, I have time to miss the old time (when I am not busy enjoying life) and not perspire under the humidity.

1. I still dislike the SG weather.
2. Relatives are fine, until they started their gossips and you realise why you left.
3. Friends still have no time for me.

Is this maureen pollard for real? What "allegiance and loyalty" - sound very like PAP.

DOES THE PAP HAVE HEART, NO!
THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN $$$ - YOUR CPF.
No CPF and you are no Singaporean - whether your father is a national hero or you are served NS!!!!!

Who is the one with no compassion - Australia or Singapore?
Australia offers dual nationality, working holidays and you can even regain Aussie citizenship after renouncing it.
Australia allows us to enjoy 2 nationalities and she is fine with it - it is our rights now. What a generous country. Just that Singapore is petty and choose to con us with words like loyality, etc - that kind of BS that make us uncomfortable with such arrangment! Quitters so what
:oIo:

LOOK, I ONLY LIVE THIS LIFE ONCE, AND I AM NOT GOING TO LET PAP RUIN IT FOR ME!

Well said! Enjoy your retirement in NZ.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feb 13, 2010

EX-CITIZEN'S REGRET
Missing Singapore

Maureen Pollard (Ms)

Maureen Pollard needs a reality check. If after 30 years she regrets her decision what about the intervening 30 years? were they miserable?

I left SG more than 10 years ago and I have seen it all now. One family in Perth moved back after 3 years because they could not get a maid. Another one missed the food and his old kopi hangouts.

I notice over the years migration is not for everyone. Not everyone is adaptable. After 10 years I really dont miss much besides the food and some old friends. I was back this summer but I was glad I left and happy to be back home here in the US.

I think people who are migrating need to ask themselves what they actually want. What thier purpose of migrating is. And you need to be able to adapt to your new culture and make the most of it. There is always a pyschological issue that says "the grass is always greener on the other side" but if you know what you want and can find it by migrating, then go for it and dont look back.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feb 13, 2010

EX-CITIZEN'S REGRET
Missing Singapore

When my mother was alive, my husband and I undertook the annual 'pilgrimage' to Singapore [emphasis added], and the first thing I missed when I returned was the animation Singapore offered. Not surprisingly, when I returned to Melbourne this time, I felt particularly miserable and displaced.
Maureen Pollard (Ms)

"When my mother was alive, my husband and I undertook the annual 'pilgrimage' to Singapore"

She has clearly indicated that she was or is married. Accordingly, it appears unusual that she signed off as "Maureen Pollard (Ms)". What is the apparent reason that she does not prefer to be Mrs. Maureen Pollard, assuming that Pollard is her husband's family name?

jerry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buses and trains run quietly and to schedule. Most people are friendly. The streets are relatively safe. Eating out is still cheap. Singaporeans enjoy a better standard of living

This is the crappiest thing I ever heard. Ms Pollard is definitely out of touch. Buses and train on schedule? Cheap food? She should check out the stompers.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
In general, Maureen Pollard's words about Singapore has substance. Amongst the countries in South East Asia, Singapore is the best - it is democratic, has a higher standard of living, better medical care, quality of housing, freedom of religion, comparatively much less oppressive behaviour towards minorities, no drugs and some freedom of speech.

The failure of Maureen Pollard to adapt to her new country and hence her regrets in leaving Singapore is quite evident in her words: she migrated with her heart back in Singapore.

Therein lies a valuable lesson.