• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Email claims Hindu priest tekaned by SAF

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Source is unverified so draw your own conclusions.

Date: Monday, 20 July, 2009, 7:53 PM

My dear brothers and sisters of Singapore and humanity in general,

We request your urgent attention!

Madana Mohan Das (a full-time Hindu Priest, IC No.: S9029832A, serving his compulsory National Service as a Private at Jurong Camp 1), is a Hindu Brahmin priest and as a priest, he has to follow strict dietary principles of our faith by not eating meat, fish, eggs, onion, garlic and mushrooms. We are not allowed any intoxication including coffee and tea. Our priests only eat food cooked as prayer offerings, technically called Prasadam.

When he was enlisted into Basic Military Training (BMT), he was allowed to have his food brought in from the temple. Upon completion of his BMT, he was posted as a driver. The commanding officer then made a request for him to be posted as a clerk so that he could be allowed to have his food brought from the temple and perform his national service without compromising his faith.

However we were told that this request was rejected and he has been disallowed to have his meals to be brought to him from the temple. We have sent a letter dated 15 May 2009 to Mindef about this situation but they flatly denied providing any assistance. He is allowed to book out of the camp every Tuesday and Thursday evening and the weekends. Only then has he the chance to eat a proper meal at the temple whereas the rest of the days, he is sustaining on dry ration brought from the temple on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

In the meantime, his superiors forced him to eat the food at his camp and have asked him to cut off his Sikha, the tuft of hair kept by Hindu priests. They charged him twice; once for food and once for the sikha. He chose to go for court marshal. He was told that the trial would be in two weeks’ time. While he was waiting for his trial, they suddenly arrested him without any charge and took him on the 20th of July, 2009, to the Detention Barracks (DB), the army jail for an indefinite period of rigorous punishment. But Madana Mohan Das is going on a hunger strike until death, inside the jail as he would not eat anything except Krishna Prasadam (sanctified food), being a full-time temple priest and monk all his life.

Is this justice? In the national service, the Muslims are given provision to have Halal food. The Sikhs are allowed to keep their long hair covered with a turban. Why then can't a Hindu priest be given facility to practice his religion peacefully? Is it because we are a minority that we can be played around with? Is this what our country's much-advertised multi-racial and multi-religious harmony stands for? We don't think so. But we are confused by this incident.

The victim is not against serving his national service, nor are we. We would like to emphasize that we fully support Madana Mohan Das serving his national service. But we are very much disturbed by the insensitivity shown by his superiors towards his religious faith.

Fervent appeals to different ministers of influential disposition were to no avail. So we are appealing to you people for support in a bid to uphold justice and basic human rights.

Therefore, we are here on a campaign to let everybody know about the injustice and religious intolerance shown to an 18-year old Hindu priest. We think that the citizens of Singapore in general, regardless of race, religion, caste, creed and color, agree that everyone has the right to practice his/her religion freely. We humbly request you to spread this word around for the sake of upholding justice. Please send this email to as many people as possible.

If you are in touch with any media people or some influential people or human rights activists or the like, please put it up to them immediately or if you are concerned about your security, you can refer them to us and we can go ahead with communicating with them.

Yours sincerely,

The Devotees at

Sri Krishna Mandir

No.9, Geylang Lorong 29, #03-02

(S) 388065

Tel: 62502280

Email: [email protected]

--
Tattva Vit Das (H/P: 96404861)
Sri Krishna Mandir
9, Geylang Lorong 29, #03-02
(S) 388065
Tel: 62502280; Fax: 62507716

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember there was a recruit who was a johovah witness and being a johovah witness he refused to carry arms. He was courtmartialled and was in and out detention barracks throughout his NS days. It was in the 70's and Tiger Hong was our RSM>

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays JW go to DB by default and do 3 years IIRC. Really have to admire their dedication even if I don't agree with their faith.

I wonder if this Hindu priest story is true because Pinkie may have a racial harmony crisis on his hands right before N-Day.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays JW go to DB by default and do 3 years IIRC. Really have to admire their dedication even if I don't agree with their faith.

I wonder if this Hindu priest story is true because Pinkie may have a racial harmony crisis on his hands right before N-Day.

Everytime must bring food from temple, doesn't that post a security risk to the military camp?

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides religion is usually hard to manage and touch and go issue in NS.
Diet is a logistical issue.

During my NSF days in 80s, two NSF who were yi-guan-dao believers and vegans in the platoon was tekan and insulted by everyone from the cook to OC for keeping strictly to a vegan diet.

SAF then can provide food for muslim and pork for non muslims at that time but cannot provide or cook a separate veggie dish for vegetarians.

All food prepared at the cookhouse was tainted with meat or meat sauce.

And the only things they could eat from the cookhouse was white rice, noodles and bread supplemented with dried food they brought to camp.

I assume the situation has improved since but still impossible for camp logistic to cater to an Hindu priest.

No doubt, this Hindu priest NSF has stricter in dietary concerns than normal vegan. But if he brings his own makan no reason why he must be forced to eat cookhouse.

Last edited:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SAF is the worst place to ask for exceptional and humane treatment.

You will have to be borned a white horse to be hosted different.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have known practising Brahmins who have served NS in various ranks including Officer. Vegetarian diet has been part and parcel of SAF from the beginning.

This is bullshit. During my time, the usual useless and lazy ones will use religion and they range from Muslims, Buddhist, Christians etc. Things never change.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have known practising Brahmins who have served NS in various ranks including Officer. Vegetarian diet has been part and parcel of SAF from the beginning.

This is bullshit. During my time, the usual useless and lazy ones will use religion and they range from Muslims, Buddhist, Christians etc. Things never change.

But I do admire the Muslims who continue to fast while going through BMT. I am surprised no one drop dead during those days.

Wah, now that I am talking about it, I HATE BMT. knn

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Varying standards perhaps...:wink:

"Our priests only eat food cooked as prayer offerings, technically called Prasadam. "

liketogossip

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the meantime, his superiors forced him to eat the food at his camp and have asked him to cut off his Sikha, the tuft of hair kept by Hindu priests.

if wat the source said was true, den it is abit over le.... but on the other hand, tink the young priest shld haf oredi anticipated it before his enlistment and go make certain arrangement to prevent it...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember there was a recruit who was a johovah witness and being a johovah witness he refused to carry arms. He was courtmartialled and was in and out detention barracks throughout his NS days. It was in the 70's and Tiger Hong was our RSM>

Are there still Jehovah Witnesses in the army today?..Tiger Hong...Ulu Pandan Camp...right? wahh that's history..

:p

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
3SIR at bedok next to 4 SIR, Quek Kok Eng was my CO, and we had a very cork up oc in my company. We called him cork up Tay. Our unit and 4sir was at the forefront when the vietnamese refugees tried to land on our shores.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3SIR at bedok next to 4 SIR, Quek Kok Eng was my CO, and we had a very cork up oc in my company. We called him cork up Tay. Our unit and 4sir was at the forefront when the vietnamese refugees tried to land on our shores.

You mean he was better than WKS?:biggrin:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

He should give that MJ-wannabe wuss a Tiger Uppercut.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect some FT Indian put this chap up to it. Both MUIS and Hindu Endowment Board handle such matters with the Govt / SAF. Its nothing new. This chap must have a low IQ and allowed his details to be circulated like that including his phone and NRIC.

Varying standards perhaps...:wink:

"Our priests only eat food cooked as prayer offerings, technically called Prasadam. "

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, majority got no problem. These fellows got standard. Never complain as well.

But I do admire the Muslims who continue to fast while going through BMT. I am surprised no one drop dead during those days.

Wah, now that I am talking about it, I HATE BMT. knn

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
wtf..posted to become driver still want to demand this demand that..limpei kana guard units also diam diam serve my 2.5 yrs..pls lah, if everyone claimed to be religious SAF might as well close shop:oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Muslim Ramadan month fasting won't kill any anybody. It's big breakfast before sunrise and big dinner after sunset, but skip lunch, that's all. It's not a test of hunger endurance; it's a test of resistance from temptation to eat or drink for about 12 hours of daylight.

In fact, many of my Muslim friends tell me they grow fat during fasting month. The breakfast and dinner are simply feasts, no need lunch.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
but no water during daylight leh. somemore my time was from March to June where the weather just get hotter by the day.

JPMorgan888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Muslim Ramadan month fasting won't kill any anybody. It's big breakfast before sunrise and big dinner after sunset, but skip lunch, that's all. It's not a test of hunger endurance; it's a test of resistance from temptation to eat or drink for about 12 hours of daylight.

In fact, many of my Muslim friends tell me they grow fat during fasting month. The breakfast and dinner are simply feasts, no need lunch.

Its all an excuse by muslims to indulge in their excesses. Food and sex none stop from sunset to sunrise.

Anyway these Devotees of Sri Krishna Mandir are kicking up a dust storm over nothing. They are part of a Hare Krishna movement that according to wikipedia, avoid meat, fish, eggs, onions, garlic, and mushrooms, due to their purportedly adverse effects on the consciousness of the eater. Avoid is not the same as not allowed.

Tsk tsk ... Kali will punish them for their forked tongues