• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Electrical problem can u help?

sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hiya was wondering if any of you bros out there know anything about home electrical lighting? You see usually at home when the lights spoil usually I would change the starter or the tube and once in a blue moon the choke. However this time I am in a jam when my bathroom light won't work. I tried changing the starter and the tube but still it did not work. So I changed the choke and it worked but after I switched off and on again I smell something burnt and did not work again. After changing another new choke it worked again but after I switched off and on again it burnt again :( Was wondering if any of you chaps can help me out and advice me what to do next?

Thanks

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Was wondering if any of you chaps can help me out and advice me what to do next?

Thanks

Should be "... and ADVISE me what to do next?".

"Advice" is a noun.

Use a multimeter to check the circuit. There's a partial short somewhere.

LordKrishna

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hiya was wondering if any of you bros out there know anything about home electrical lighting? You see usually at home when the lights spoil usually I would change the starter or the tube and once in a blue moon the choke. However this time I am in a jam when my bathroom light won't work. I tried changing the starter and the tube but still it did not work. So I changed the choke and it worked but after I switched off and on again I smell something burnt and did not work again. After changing another new choke it worked again but after I switched off and on again it burnt again :( Was wondering if any of you chaps can help me out and advice me what to do next?

Thanks

Change the electrician to a paid and professional one sure work.

Please be easy on me, don't zap me for telling the truth hor.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Disconnect the 2 incoming wires and extend them to connect to a normal incandescent bulb. If it works normally, then your fluorescent lighting set is short circuited somewhere. It could probably be the wiring between the choke and the terminals of the tube. That's why your new choke will burn off almost immediately. Also, if you are substituting with an electronic choke, the starter is no longer needed and wiring connection will be different.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I don't think there's such thing as too small a job? It's how much they wanna charge.

Not true leh. Lim Bei's pipe inside the false ceiling drip water, want contractor to come change and this is what happened.

1. First contractor got from HDB website. Say will come and see, but then never turn up. SMS him also never reply. Nowadays business too good is it?

2. Second contractor come and see, quote me $600 just to change two section of the pipes measuring about 2m.

3. Third contractor, MMS him the pictures if the problem and ask him to quote and also never get back to me. Again, business so good meh?

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not true leh. Lim Bei's pipe inside the false ceiling drip water, want contractor to come change and this is what happened.

1. First contractor got from HDB website. Say will come and see, but then never turn up. SMS him also never reply. Nowadays business too good is it?

2. Second contractor come and see, quote me $600 just to change two section of the pipes measuring about 2m.

3. Third contractor, MMS him the pictures if the problem and ask him to quote and also never get back to me. Again, business so good meh?

So did you took up the No.2 offer which will solve your problem?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might be better off to change the whole lighting unit. It would be cheaper than replacing parts here and there.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro you serious you want to change IHP's pipe ah? You see his avatar you not scared ah?

Bring it on :wink:

LRjz8V3.jpg