• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

E-scooters to be banned from Singapore footpaths from Nov 5

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
JUST IN:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...n-7-million-etg-food-delivery-riders-12076228

S$7 million in grants to help food delivery riders trade in e-scooters following footpath ban
www.channelnewsasia.com
SINGAPORE: Food delivery riders affected by a footpath ban on e-scooters can get up to S$1000 in the form of a trade-in grant funded by the Government and food delivery companies, the Ministry of Transport (MOT) announced on Friday (Nov 8).
Food delivery riders have voiced concerns over how a new rule prohibiting e-scooters from footpaths would affect their livelihoods.

For riders who intend to stay on the job, the Government and three major food delivery companies – Grab, Deliveroo and Foodpanda - have set up a S$7 million e-scooter Trade-in Grant (eTG) for food delivery riders to switch to bicycles, power-assisted bicycles (PABs) or personal mobility aids (PMAs), the ministry said in a press release.

Under the scheme, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will match dollar-for-dollar the funding support of food delivery companies for delivery riders who trade in their e-scooters for LTA-approved devices.

Each rider can receive a grant of up to S$1,000 to trade in their e-scooter for a PAB or S$600 for a bicycle, MOT said. Riders who are eligible to use PMAs will also receive a grant of up to S$1000, the ministry added.

“The eTG scheme will be administered by the food delivery companies, which are also working with retailers to bulk purchase and bring down the costs of these devices,” MOT said.

To qualify for the grant, riders must be an existing e-scooter food delivery as at Nov 7, 2019, and they must surrender their devices at disposal points located at Grab, Deliveroo and Foodpanda. Delivery riders who work for more than one company will only be eligible for one eTG grant.

The eTG scheme will run till the end of the year, MOT said.

Apart from the trade-in scheme, there will also job search support and career services for riders to intend to leave their jobs, MOT added, provided by NTUC’s Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) and Workforce Singapore (WSG) together with the three major food delivery companies.

The Ministry of Social and Family Development’s (MSF) and ComCare schemes are also available to provide assistance to riders with financial difficulties.

E-scooters were banned from footpaths in Singapore earlier this month after a string of accidents involving errant riders raised public concern over their safety.

"The decision to prohibit e-scooters from footpaths was a difficult one and arose of many instances of irresponsible riding," said MOT.

"Even as the delivery riders switch to other modes of transport, they should be mindful of safety both for themselves and other path and road users."

Slightly More Than @eatshitndie $6.9M.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For riders who intend to stay on the job, the Government and three major food delivery companies – Grab, Deliveroo and Foodpanda - have set up a S$7 million e-scooter Trade-in Grant (eTG) for food delivery riders to switch to bicycles, power-assisted bicycles (PABs) or personal mobility aids (PMAs), the ministry said in a press release.

How is an e-bike safer than an e-scooter? :unsure:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Trundling into trouble: Singapore targets e-scooters after accidents

Catherine Lai
AFP News11 November 2019

- International clampdown -

Singapore is just the latest country trying to get control of the scooters.

Last week, the French government issued new rules, including a ban on using them on pavements -- unless a city permits them in certain areas -- and a 25 kilometre per hour speed limit.

Germany does not allow them on pavements while London has taken the most extreme approach of major European cities, prohibiting the two-wheelers entirely unless a rider has a driving licence, insurance, road tax, a helmet and a number plate.

The hardest hit in Singapore by the new rules is the army of people using e-scooters to deliver food across the city for companies such as Deliveroo, Grab and Foodpanda, although authorities have taken steps to help.

On Friday, the transport ministry said the government and companies were offering grants for e-scooter delivery riders to switch to other devices including regular and power-assisted bicycles.

Benjamin Goh has already changed to a bike for his food delivery job -- but said his income would be affected as cycling is more exhausting, meaning he can complete fewer orders.

"It's very tiring for me to use a bicycle," said the 26-year-old single father, adding that he would also end up fatigued and potentially less capable of caring for his young son after work.

Goh said he felt food delivery workers were being punished for the bad behaviour of some recreational riders, but conceded: "I can understand why people hate us."

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/trundling...-e-scooters-accidents-050749889--finance.html

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I still see PMDs on footpaths. Why huh?
Same here, I still usually see one or two. Instead of advising them not to ride on footpaths like I used to, damn sian liao, I just stare at them. Thus far, all looked away and avoided eye contact. They know they have until Dec 31 and their days are numbered. Really feel like whacking them, but don't want to get into trouble with the law.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Same here, I still usually see one or two. Instead of advising them not to ride on footpaths like I used to, damn sian liao, I just stare at them. Thus far, all looked away and avoided eye contact. They know they have until Dec 31 and their days are numbered. Really feel like whacking them, but don't want to get into trouble with the law.
I will point and laff loudly at them :biggrin: