• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Dryson To Manufacture Electric Cars In CECApore By 2021! Majulah PAP!

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dysink will regret setting up factory in sinkieland cos land cost and operating cost (water and electricity) and labour cost are so high here.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Dysink will regret setting up factory in sinkieland cos land cost and operating cost (water and electricity) and labour cost are so high here.
They wouldn't worry about that. Their products have extremely high profit margin. A hairdryer cost about 600 SGD. Their marketing coupled by innovation is like Apple at its peak days. I think Singapore EDB made a good catch for this one.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
They wouldn't worry about that. Their products have extremely high profit margin. A hairdryer cost about 600 SGD. Their marketing coupled by innovation is like Apple at its peak days. I think Singapore EDB made a good catch for this one.
Yes but who will buy when it's high price n does the same job as a 30 buck hair dryer?

My mate in ozland used to have a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Threw it out n got a Miele C3..and he never looked back...n the Miele cost half the price of the Dyson. The reason I know is met up with him in singkieland..he say soo many premium items cheaper than singkieland..n did price comparison etc... really interesting conversation... anyway with beers much easier to talk cock.

gen_204

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/53ea24cf108e67c768c026e068c8608d
l

Skip to:
Main Content
Site Navigation
Site footer
Site Map

Share on FacebookShare via SMSShare on WhatsAppShare via Email

Technology
Innovation
Does the $499 Supersonic live up to the hype?
JUNE 29, 20185:12pm
Is the $700 Dyson Supersonic Hairdryer worth it?

Erin Webleynews.com.au
WHEN my eldest brother told me he was buying his wife the new Dyson Supersonic hair dryer for Mother’s Day last year I was immediately impressed that he knew the product existed — and baffled he was actually willing to spend so much on a beauty gadget.

After a glass of wine one night, my sister-in-law confessed to me she appreciated the gesture, but didn’t think the dryer compared to her old faithful GHD.

She added that now she would have to smile at her husband and pretend to love her expensive gift every morning.

I’ve never owned a GHD, but I do have a $19 Target hair dryer that does the one job I needed it to do and haven’t felt the need to upgrade.

But as I settle into my 30s and understand the value in quality products, I figured it was time to try the $499 Dyson Supersonic to see if the super gadget could tame my frizzy, thin hair and deliver me the silky locks I’ve always wanted.

When you turn on the Dyson, you’re immediately blasted with the full force of the air.
When you turn on the Dyson, you’re immediately blasted with the full force of the air.Source:Supplied
DESIGN

Dyson’s first ever hair dryer comes luxuriously packaged in a smooth white box. The dryer is carefully wrapped in plastic and peel-away film used to protect the matt fuchsia patina.

Along with the pretty packaging comes an unexpected note.

“Hello. And welcome to your new hair dryer,” it reads.

It’s clear a lot of thought has been put into ensuring you feel as though your purchase is appreciated.

Inside the box you receive three styling attachments — a smoothing nozzle, a styling concentrator and a diffuser — all of which snap on magnetically. A storage hanger and a non-slip mat are also included.

The Dyson Supersonic is also six times smaller and three times lighter than your average hair dryer.

LED indicators show three speed settings and four heat settings.
LED indicators show three speed settings and four heat settings.Source:Supplied
FUNCTIONALITY

Dyson spent $96 million developing the Supersonic in purpose-built beauty testing labs, with a fresh team of engineers working on the product.

The company also employed the expertise of top stylists — like the Kardashians’ personal stylist Jen Atkin — and used 1600km of human hair to test 600 prototype dryers.

The Supersonic has 1600 watts of power and an airflow of 85 cubic feet per minute which is noticeable when you turn it on and you’re immediately blasted with the full force of the air. LED indicators show three speed settings and four heat settings. It also has a cool shot function which provides a hit of cool air to help set your hairstyle.

While most hair dryers market themselves around “ionic”, “ceramic” and “tourmaline”, Dyson seems to be more about retaining the hair’s natural shine and preventing heat damage in the first place.

Dyson achieves this through a “glass bead thermistor” that measures air temperature 20 times a second and reports it to a microprocessor which then regulates the heat output.

The $19 Remington Aero 2000 hair dryer does the trick for me.
The $19 Remington Aero 2000 hair dryer does the trick for me.Source:Supplied
CONCLUSION

The Supersonic had some impressive technology which the geek in me was excited about, but unfortunately I agree with my sister-in-law that the Dyson didn’t deliver on the level of perfect hair you’d expect for the investment.

My frizzy and thin hair was not tamed, although I was impressed by the dryer’s efficiency.

In the end, I didn’t quite experience anything more than my $19 Target dryer offered.

And while the Dyson wasn’t for me, that doesn’t mean it won’t work for you.

Shoppers line up for Aldi vacuum frenzy

Share on FacebookShare via SMSShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
LEAVE A COMMENT
read next
Ram 1500 reviewed: pricing, specifications, driving impressions
Ram 1500 reviewed: pricing, specifications, driving impressions
Innovation
Ford Ranger Wildtrak heads for premium pick-up territory
Ford Ranger Wildtrak heads for premium pick-up territory
Innovation
What's the Cheapest Way to Transfer Money Overseas?PROMOTED
What's the Cheapest Way to Transfer Money Overseas?
The Currency Shop
Here’s Why This Cheap Drone Is The Best Selling Invention In 2018PROMOTED
Here’s Why This Cheap Drone Is The Best Selling Invention In 2018
LOLWOT
Facebook users ridicule Sydney woman’s ad for $200-a-week Bondi room the size of a ‘walk-in wardrobe’ - realestate.com.auPROMOTED
Facebook users ridicule Sydney woman’s ad for $200-a-week Bondi…
realestate.com.au
Mazda brings back forgotten tech
Mazda brings back forgotten tech
Innovation
Is China’s Belt and Road working? [Read Latest]PROMOTED
Is China’s Belt and Road working? [Read Latest]
Nikkei Asian Review
$2000 bus trip an ‘absolute debacle’
$2000 bus trip an ‘absolute debacle’
Innovation
Add your comment to this story
To join the conversation, please Log in. Don't have an account? Sign up
JUMP BACK TO TOP
Newsletters
Follow us
A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites.Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out.
News Limited Copyright © 2018. All times AEDT (GMT +11).

Last edited:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Yes but who will buy when it's high price n does the same job as a 30 buck hair dryer?

My mate in ozland used to have a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Threw it out n got a Miele C3..and he never looked back...n the Miele cost half the price of the Dyson. The reason I know is met up with him in singkieland..he say soo many premium items cheaper than singkieland..n did price comparison etc... really interesting conversation... anyway with beers much easier to talk cock.

gen_204

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/53ea24cf108e67c768c026e068c8608d
l
Let me just give you an example. Dyson recently launched a new hairdryer .. it's latest model called Dyson Air Wrap. It was sold out within a day ... Much better sales than Apple iPhone.

airwrap_complete_2.jpg

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
James Dyson is a ruthless man for success. He is like a Emperor in Dyson. If you have been following this company, you will know how he gotten rid of his CEO whom he hired from P&G and helped to build Dyson as a household brand name in the last 10 years. Very ruthless... All because the CEO and his gang doesn't believe in this electric car shit. All were removed unceremoniously...

As I said again, the competitive advantage of Dyson is in its digital motor technology. If they are successful in electric car, this will definitely bring this company up a notch.

EDB is smart to bring them to Sgp. A very good catch indeed as James Dyson hated producing anything in China due to weak IP protection. EDB must have seized on this "dislike" of James Dyson and courted him well.

:biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me just give you an example. Dyson recently launched a new hairdryer .. it's latest model called Dyson Air Wrap. It was sold out within a day ... Much better sales than Apple iPhone.

airwrap_complete_2.jpg
Women are always the best target market for beauty products...and of course there is the atas feel about having such an atas device..like iPhones in the past always seems more high class than android ..but iPhone is technologically backward compare to android. But this case the Dyson has hit the right target market. Bcos women do their hair everyday n this item soo Bagus n if it saves them trips to the hair dressers they oreadi save money. To me..items are about value n not costs. Pointless to buy a 20 buck hair dryer that is lousy n can't use than to buy a 400 buck Dyson which the wife use everyday n happy n go hairdresser less. Contrast tat to my Fren Dyson vacuum cleaner. He used the Dyson for 10 years than replace it with the Miele. It cost half the price n did a better job and easier to use. He regret buying the Dyson.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
James Dyson is a ruthless man for success. He is like a Emperor in Dyson. If you have been following this company, you will know how he gotten rid of his CEO whom he hired from P&G and helped to build Dyson as a household brand name in the last 10 years. Very ruthless... All because the CEO and his gang doesn't believe in this electric car shit. All were removed unceremoniously...

As I said again, the competitive advantage of Dyson is in its digital motor technology. If they are successful in electric car, this will definitely bring this company up a notch.

EDB is smart to bring them to Sgp. A very good catch indeed as James Dyson hated producing anything in China due to weak IP protection. EDB must have seized on this "dislike" of James Dyson and courted him well.

:biggrin:
Dyson hate producing anything in pommieland bcos of the high cost .the vacs etc r made in mudland right?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Dyson hate producing anything in pommieland bcos of the high cost .the vacs etc r made in mudland right?
Yep, right next door in Johore and soon Philippines. Lol :biggrin:

Singapore get top layer cream if their e car is successful. :biggrin:

As I said, EDB must have courted James Dyson very well. :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Apple no longer has a factory in Spore. They moved to China years ago.

I have one of those hand held Dyson vacuum cleaners. I was surprised that such an expensive product is vey plasticity. Currently I am not using it because the power adaptor is not working. My irobot vacuum cleaner is better built than the Dyson.

meepokboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
More foreign talents need to be imported to build these machines. there is no more space remaining for us sinkies!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What kind of incentives were given to Dyson to set up here? 20 years tax holiday? Land provided for free.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple no longer has a factory in Spore. They moved to China years ago.

I have one of those hand held Dyson vacuum cleaners. I was surprised that such an expensive product is vey plasticity. Currently I am not using it because the power adaptor is not working. My irobot vacuum cleaner is better built than the Dyson.
instead of a $699 dyson cyclone sucker i bought a sg-designed and sg-made ohm cyclone cleaner in sg. in fact i bought 2, one with 220-240v ac adaptor for the house in sg and another with 110-120v ac adaptor for use in sillycon valley. so far, both work great. sucked the bejesus out of hardwood, carpet, rug, upholstery, and anything that crawls. it's lightweight, uses lithium battery, has over 40 minutes of power per charge, and cums with several vacuum head adaptors for wide space and tight corners. also used it to clean interior of vehicles. the price is only a 3rd of the lowest end dyson, yet it performed just as good if not better.
OHM-SVC1021-L%2B-%2B02.JPG

101.png

just vacuumed my upper floors today (they were thoroughly mopped last week) and already sucked dust, dirt, exfoliated skin, and hair from hardwood and marble floors. best part is i can wash the filter assembly and canister and let them dry while battery is being recharged.
L7tQS7LTQEu0N1Ecp29slg.jpg
M0yVCyzHQL6WI8F2mLR4%g.jpg

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
instead of a $699 dyson cyclone sucker i bought a sg-designed and sg-made ohm cyclone cleaner in sg. in fact i bought 2, one with 220-240v ac adaptor for the house in sg and another with 110-120v ac adaptor for use in sillycon valley. so far, both work great. sucked the bejesus out of hardwood, carpet, rug, upholstery, and anything that crawls. it's lightweight, uses lithium battery, has over 40 minutes of power per charge, and cums with several vacuum head adaptors for wide space and tight corners. also used it to clean interior of vehicles. the price is only a 3rd of the lowest end dyson, yet it performed just as good if not better.

101.png

just vacuumed my upper floors today (they were thoroughly mopped last week) and already sucked dust, dirt, exfoliated skin, and hair from hardwood and marble floors. best part is i can wash the filter assembly and canister and let them dry while battery is being recharged.
View attachment 48475View attachment 48476

Made In Sinkapore ...number 1.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

101.png

Ok I am getting one too

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset

101.png

Oh dear, I use Ohm for my home too. But while it's cheap, the motor will deteriorate in 3 years if you use once a week. That's my experience from using Ohm.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
What kind of incentives were given to Dyson to set up here? 20 years tax holiday? Land provided for free.
If I may guess, EDB usually have periodic conditions imposed fore example, by year 3, 6, 9, etc must have x number of employees, setting up academy, investment, regional hub transfer pricing, etc

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Made In Sinkapore ...number 1.
sinkie engineering has potential but the sg market is too small to sustain high levels of sales and revenue (and margin). if the ohm vac gets sold through major distribution chains such as lowe's, home depot, amazon, wayfair, costco, target in the u.s. it will see unprecedented levels of volume and revenue. the ohm vac evolves from serving sinkie condo and flat owners who also own cars, and owners wanting a single portable tool to clean both.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ohm doesn't sell in established retail channels. They sell via pop up stalls.
too small as a manufacturer to strike trading terms with major channels. however, i got all my ohm vacs from homefix. during promotions they sell it for sgd199 instead of the usual sgd258 retail price.
kalvin81_1462119656.jpg