• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Tan Cheng Bok: Will PM be calling 2 by-elections instead?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks brother. The above statement reminds me of an ex politician in this forum :biggrin:

His profile is almost perfect for such a profession. Look out for businessmen. They have all the time in the world to carry out their tasks. Business is funded. No biz also won't die.

Getting involved in NGOs is another indicator. Can't be paying you when you can't be given more roles.

Any idea how many businessmen-opposition chaps we have? Alarming.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If LHL resigns from his seat in AMK to trigger a by-election, he will not be able to say that LTK is responsible for triggering a by-election by sacking YSL.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If LHL resigns from his seat in AMK to trigger a by-election, he will not be able to say that LTK is responsible for triggering a by-election by sacking YSL.

Am I right to say that in order to trigger a BE in AMK, someone has to resign? Somebody suggested that Seng Han Tong was good to go. I hope fatty is the one to go instead. That fellow really tmd jiak liao bee. When I went to see him last time, he kept smiling at me and said, "you have to keep coming back to see me" He did that at least 3 times. WTF. In the end, I went to LHL but he wasn't there. Seng Han Tong was the one covering him. At least Seng was honest in his assessment if my problem and provided me some tips to solve the stalemate.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Frens,

if AMK has a BE than I hope the Opposition will work together to give LHL a run for his money. I believe that now, more people are Tulan with PAP, with PRC bus driver and all that crap. A lot of PAP policies are starting to unravel proving the fallibility of the PAP. And the danger of the 1 party state run by incompetents within the PAP. If the Oppos can combine to send a team like an oppo dream team,,it will be great,,but if there is going to be a multi party fight, I would advise WP to not participate at all. Hougang is an SMC so its bound to remain in WP hands. Hougang residents has got the 1st hand benefits of WP's control. I doubt they will want to loose it.

If there is multi party fights. lets say PAP, NSP & RP, RP will be bound to loose deposit.if WP contest, other opposition parties will loose the deposit but WP will not win. If the oppos are united, it should be strictly PAP vs WP.

Now for an Oppo dream team and if WP dont want to participate, I believe it should be, Ben Pwee, TJS, NS, Vincent W, and CST..but too me CST is too old, he should just retire. IF WP is willing to be a member of the combine team,,,that is good too,,,but if the oppos win and dont work together like the way WP did for Aljunied,,it will make the oppos look worse and WP might be dragged down with it. So its either WP only or Oppo dream team.

The other opposition should take note that WP is the party of choice for oppo supporters,,unless they buck up..they should be prepared to play 2nd fiddle and let WP be 'big brother'. Its sad for the other oppos but true. And I hope oppo trouble makers like GMS etc stay out of this one,,,they should just be put out to pasture.

that is my take..comments please

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pappies hardcore supporters 30%-35%.....these people have direct benefits/brain damaged will vote pappies until end of time.

If the remaining are savvy and/or grow some balls we dun need to think so much.

Dear Frens,

if AMK has a BE than I hope the Opposition will work together to give LHL a run for his money. I believe that now, more people are Tulan with PAP, with PRC bus driver and all that crap. A lot of PAP policies are starting to unravel proving the fallibility of the PAP. And the danger of the 1 party state run by incompetents within the PAP. If the Oppos can combine to send a team like an oppo dream team,,it will be great,,but if there is going to be a multi party fight, I would advise WP to not participate at all. Hougang is an SMC so its bound to remain in WP hands. Hougang residents has got the 1st hand benefits of WP's control. I doubt they will want to loose it.

If there is multi party fights. lets say PAP, NSP & RP, RP will be bound to loose deposit.if WP contest, other opposition parties will loose the deposit but WP will not win. If the oppos are united, it should be strictly PAP vs WP.

Now for an Oppo dream team and if WP dont want to participate, I believe it should be, Ben Pwee, TJS, NS, Vincent W, and CST..but too me CST is too old, he should just retire.

that is my take..comments please

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The argument that PM will personally serve the voters in HG by merging AMK and HG TC is flawed. In the first place, how heavily is the PM involved in the management of the AMK GRC and personally attending to the MPS?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The argument that PM will personally serve the voters in HG by merging AMK and HG TC is flawed. In the first place, how heavily is the PM involved in the management of the AMK GRC and personally attending to the MPS?

Yes Bro Seng,,u are right,,,how often is the PM involved,,on top of that,,oppos can also add,,how much is LKY involved too? Where is he now? since he is MP,,where is his MPS? I hope more bros and sis go and see him if there is one,,,

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now for an Oppo dream team and if WP dont want to participate, I believe it should be, Ben Pwee, TJS, NS, Vincent W, and CST..but too me CST is too old, he should just retire. IF WP is willing to be a member of the combine team,,,that is good too,,,but if the oppos win and dont work together like the way WP did for Aljunied,,it will make the oppos look worse and WP might be dragged down with it. So its either WP only or Oppo dream team.

Such a cut-and-paste, piecemeal elite team has never proven to be sustainable, or even manifested. I venture to guess that TJS, Eric Tan, Ben Pwee and some current non-party chaps are a potential nucleus for a new party, but until it happens, I don't believe people who do not come together under one framework will come under one GRC.

People forget that a good team is one that everyone makes an effort to work with one another.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Slight correction. All 6 seats need to be vacated, either by resignation, death, disability, being sacked from parliament or being sacked by the MPs' party AND if PM agrees to call a by-election.

Maybe LHL is just waiting for LKY to meet Kim Jong Il before calling by-elections in TP GRC and HG SMC.

All 6 need to resign.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slight correction. All 6 seats need to be vacated, either by resignation, death, disability, being sacked from parliament or being sacked by the MPs' party AND if PM agrees to call a by-election.

Maybe LHL is just waiting for LKY to meet Kim Jong Il before calling by-elections in TP GRC and HG SMC.

Bro, in 1992 Marine Parade GRC by-election, Lau Goh called for by-election due to a couple of reasons but not really all seats were vacated, if I am not wrong.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All the seatsin the GRC were vacated, and then filled by the same ppl except for one who was replaced by TCH.

Bro, in 1992 Marine Parade GRC by-election, Lau Goh called for by-election due to a couple of reasons but not really all seats were vacated, if I am not wrong.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is specifics rather than correction. It is hard that all 6 will die, become disabled or get sacked.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HTOLAS said:

In a true democracy, as the Parliament is the place where new laws are passed, even a single seat is material in the preservation of democracy. To try tinkling with whether to hold or not hold a BE is to show disrespect to democracy. The only time when you can have a reasonable argument not to hold it is when a general election is just around the corner and there is little chance that a parliamentary seating will be held between then and the GE.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The only time when you can have a reasonable argument not to hold it is when a general election is just around the corner and there is little chance that a parliamentary seating will be held between then and the GE.

must uphold our Constitution :smile::smile::smile:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

You just can't have your cake and eat it.

You will only get attention in Hougang if there is 3 or multi-corner fight there. That will mean a bigger news value and focus for both MSM and New Media reporting.

Actually, it would be silly to want a focus on Hougang by-election. i.e. You just don't want the MSM to focus on the flaws of WP in selecting YSL in GE2011 to stand in Hougang. You definitely won't want the MSM to blow up credibility issue in WP like putting up flawed Ministerial Pay formula or plagiarism or simply, can you still trust WP to select good candidate for Hougang? If the selected candidate this time round is the best, why didn't they put him in Hougang earlier on or appointed him as leader of any other GRC teams in GE2011? I guess, you won't want that kind of focus by MSM on Hougang, do you?

If there is full focus on Hougang, WP's credibility will become the beating. Thus, you should be happy if anyone contest in AMK by-election, if there is one.

In short, if PAP thinks that they could moderate the "win" by WP in Hougang with another by-election in AMK, it will really be a blessing in disguise for WP!

Goh Meng Seng

Bro, the talk about AMK in a BE first surfaced after a week following Yaw's note to the speaker of parliament. I did not take it seriously as it was not talked about in the usual reliable circles, though it made the usual public grapevines. WIth TCB mentioning it, it does carry weight.

I suspect that PAP is keen to bring in someone into cabinet and just doing it for that purpose. It will also help them water down any WP victory. SPH will spend more time on AMK and give Hougang a lower profile. I hope no party contest AMK to take a bite from their thunder.

Last edited: