• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't eat shark's fins...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha....ah Ram, how does stopping pple from catching and harvesting the fins and throwing back the sharks while alive into the sea benefit any commercial interests?

Pse enlighten us. Thank you.

The fishers want the fin only. The bulk of the shark's body is more expensive to handle and process, and wouldn't fetch a profitable price to worth the while. Therefore, they throw it back to the sea.

The commercial and political interests with the financial backing to sponsor and send environmental activisits are organisations funded by endowments and donations. First, they find people rich and soft-hearted or eccentric enough to fund them. Then, they have lots of money to build themselves nice offices and pay themselves nice salaries for being full-time staff to run the organisation. Think, clue, NKF. :wink:

Then, they have to show their sponors and donors that they've been doing something about it. So they look for green-eyed idealists to volunteer to be activists and they fund them to go out to seas and safaris to make noise.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I happen to like sea cucumber and lobster. :p

Both are not cheap but not really over-rated either, imho. :biggrin:

This one over-rated bo ???

f9991f5ccecp0.gif

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree, but those in cans (Ayam Brand), if heated in a pan, squeeze some lime and add cut chillies are best:smile:. Can be added to fish curry as a dish too.

Sardines - cheap, good and healthy. Especially delicious when eaten with white bread.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i love sardines - they say it's bad for those with gout

i love abalone and sea cucumber - just love these combinations...

i love oysters...cockles....wau shiok with plenty of chilli...

i love lobsters of course...expensive but shiok...

i love shark's fins...but have to go without it when i'm with those green who condemned the dish...and all of us, the majority, will have to eat jelly and sweet sour soup!!!!....

very often, over wedding dinners, when shark's fins are served, you get one or two guests proudly proclaimed, " i don't eat shark's fins...it's so cruel...do you know how they kill the sharks and get the fins...it's so cruel...so cruel.."

the rest of us will then eat in silence ...our stomachs filled with guilt...and with cruelty...

you think it's right to proclaim your displeasure over a wedding dinner like this???

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... very often, over wedding dinners, when shark's fins are served, you get one or two guests proudly proclaimed, " i don't eat shark's fins...it's so cruel...do you know how they kill the sharks and get the fins...it's so cruel...so cruel.."

the rest of us will then eat in silence ...our stomachs filled with guilt...and with cruelty...

you think it's right to proclaim your displeasure over a wedding dinner like this???
dose burgers have no respect 4 their hosts! ... :mad:

u shudnt invite dem 2 ur dinners ... :p

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree, but those in cans (Ayam Brand), if heated in a pan, squeeze some lime and add cut chillies are best:smile:. Can be added to fish curry as a dish too.

Not many places sell this type of sardine sandwich. The one at Keppel Railway is one of those selling.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... very often, over wedding dinners, when shark's fins are served, you get one or two guests proudly proclaimed, " i don't eat shark's fins...it's so cruel...do you know how they kill the sharks and get the fins...it's so cruel...so cruel.."

Tell them to "Shut Up ! Eat first talk later... " :rolleyes:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...you think it's right to proclaim your displeasure over a wedding dinner like this?"

No, I don't think so. I've avoided sharksfin since 1990s. However I've always respected the views of others. At wedding dinners when sharksfin is served, I do not take my bowl and just keep quiet about it, until someone asks. I only say I don't enjoy it.

Abalone, sea cucumber, oysters, cockles - I used to love these. A certain point in my life, I decided not to consume these seafood. Even crabs. Only some scaly fish, not that I am Jewish, but I think it makes healthy sense.

I eat pork though. They're farmed.

Having chicken, pork, beef, lamb, different fishes, even quails, gives me more than enuff choices for meats. We've left the hunter-gatherer stage ages ago. Why go back to that?

In a different scenario, for survival, I would even eat frogs, snails and turtles to stay alive. But for now, there are many other "humane" ways to dine.

Foie Gras is an exception. I don't think it is right.

Cheers!

i love sardines - they say it's bad for those with gout

i love abalone and sea cucumber - just love these combinations...

i love oysters...cockles....wau shiok with plenty of chilli...

i love lobsters of course...expensive but shiok...

i love shark's fins...but have to go without it when i'm with those green who condemned the dish...and all of us, the majority, will have to eat jelly and sweet sour soup!!!!....

very often, over wedding dinners, when shark's fins are served, you get one or two guests proudly proclaimed, " i don't eat shark's fins...it's so cruel...do you know how they kill the sharks and get the fins...it's so cruel...so cruel.."

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Abalone, sea cucumber, oysters, cockles - I used to love these. A certain point in my life, I decided not to consume these seafood. Even crabs. Only some scaly fish, not that I am Jewish, but I think it makes healthy sense.

I eat pork though. They're farmed.

Having chicken, pork, beef, lamb, different fishes, even quails, gives me more than enuff choices for meats. We've left the hunter-gatherer stage ages ago. Why go back to that?

Either one eats meat or don't eat meat. There's no such thing as a less cruel way to kill an animal whether farmed or hunted. A kill is a kill. Whether for fun or for food.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no such thing as a less cruel way to kill an animal whether farmed or hunted. A kill is a kill.

hahaha...ah Ram, your brain not working ah??
ever heard about eating the brain of live monkeys??
how about deep frying of live fish with mouth still grasping for air above the oil??
ever heard of different ways to torture a human before killing????
etc....etc....

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Firstly, the sentence should read "Either one eat or don't eat meat" and "eats meat" is definitely wrong. Anyway of course there are cruel ways to kill animals and humans too. How can you say there is no such thing, unless you are a very innocent person?

Either one eats meat or don't eat meat. There's no such thing as a less cruel way to kill an animal whether farmed or hunted. A kill is a kill. Whether for fun or for food.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Firstly, the sentence should read "Either one eat or don't eat meat" and "eats meat" is definitely wrong. Anyway of course there are cruel ways to kill animals and humans too. How can you say there is no such thing, unless you are a very innocent person?

You're both wrong. One is singular. Therefore, either one eats meat or doesn't eat meat. We are plural. Therefore, either we eat meat or don't eat meat.

I tend to agree with Ramseth - a kill is a kill. Torturing before killing is torturing, not killing. I don't advocate torturing of course, whether human or animal.