• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does the good oLd biscuits' stiLL hoLd a pLace in your heart ?..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
cooking+baking+209+079-b.JPG

how about this, bros

used to eat a lot but not now
Think its cashew nuts in the middLe ?..there's this retro staLL opp the ALexandra f/c at the HDB bLock that seLLs
the same stuffs there..

DoctorDrip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were the wonderful days of teatime with round Marie, square Jacob and Boh tea. The saltish biscuit, whether common unbranded or branded Ritz, was frowned upon by my parents whose biscuit philosophy was that biscuit shouldn't be saltish. Anyway I did sneak quite a few of those when playing over at my neighbour's place. By the way, what happened to Boh tea?

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those were the wonderful days of teatime with round Marie, square Jacob and Boh tea. The saltish biscuit, whether common unbranded or branded Ritz, was frowned upon by my parents whose biscuit philosophy was that biscuit shouldn't be saltish. Anyway I did sneak quite a few of those when playing over at my neighbour's place. By the way, what happened to Boh tea?

Boh Tea is still around. They have plantations in Cameron Highlands.

Maybe it's the same as A&W: small cuntry's market crowded out by the bigger brands (tea: Lipton, fast food: McDonald's and KFC).

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes you can still find some biscuits sold in tin cans but not in glass as it is fragile & heavy.

i think he meant biscuit sold that are display in glass jar.

a provision shophouse along alkaff ave, just next to the old jackson food centre still sell biscuit in this way. customer just transfer the biscuit from glass jar to a plastic bag then bring the bag to the boss who will weigh and charge according to the weight. But i think the shop will be gone soon as i notice URA just putting out a notice calling for a tender to build a shopping condo on ST a couple weeks ago.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not just provision shops that sell these retro biscuits. I've seen stationery shops, toy shops and joss stick/paper shops selling them. Great to see them diversify the scope of their business.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think its cashew nuts in the middLe ?..there's this retro staLL opp the ALexandra f/c at the HDB bLock that seLLs
the same stuffs there..

u mean the food centre near the AIA building? i go there often, i didnt notice this retro stall. a stall or a shop in hdb block?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think he meant biscuit sold that are display in glass jar.

a provision shophouse along alkaff ave, just next to the old jackson food centre still sell biscuit in this way. customer just transfer the biscuit from glass jar to a plastic bag then bring the bag to the boss who will weigh and charge according to the weight. But i think the shop will be gone soon as i notice URA just putting out a notice calling for a tender to build a shopping condo on ST a couple weeks ago.

I remember when I was young, I asked the seller whether can mix the biscuit if they are of the same price. I ended up having varieties of my favourite. My favourite are still cream waffle, ginger biscuit (pig ears) and the lemon cream biscuit.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This Lau pattern of kiampiah is forever so cLose to me :

kiamoiah.jpg

Whether you dip them in Hot Kopi-O, or MiLo; the memories are stiLL the same..:wink:

Fishypie, thanks for this photo. The thing really attracted me in this photo is the plate, really classic.

And this thread brings back lots of sweet memories, thanks.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
how this!

gems.jpg

This is a great pic looney. I just got to show it to my mom. She will surely say the same thing all over again, "you know when I was carrying your sisters in my tummy I was squeezing the cream on them biscuits one by one directly from the hot oven in Thye Hong biscuit factory, life was so hard pregnant and gotto work in such a hot place and hands so tired". ya she's 80 over years old now and I know seeing this picture brings a tear to her eyes.

(oh she refers to Thye Hong factory as "thye hong pia gua long")

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
u mean the food centre near the AIA building? i go there often, i didnt notice this retro stall. a stall or a shop in hdb block?

Bro it's bLk 119, directLy opposite the ALexandra viLLage f/c..this oLd timer cake shop sure to bring back fond
memories; where eLse can you choose a topping for your cake on the spot nowadays ?..:smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh... the block facing the the old OG factory. i normally just walk ard the blocks that the ocbc & posb located, the teochew kuek coffeeshop, the other coffeeshop that sell fish soup and the old school cake shop that next to the mooncake maker for custard puff.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if I remember correctly, there are biscuit factories like: Siong Hoe, Thye Hong, Khong Guan & etc.