• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

do you return trays ?

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
what for ? I always make it a point not to return trays and in addition spill the soup and gravy to dirty the entire table and even floor. This is because returning trays reminds me of NS slavery days and may induce a brain seizure.

=============
WANT Singaporeans to clean up after themselves? Tell them exactly how.

Given their penchant for abiding by rules, they are likely to follow directions for cleaning up, especially in an environment where everyone else is doing the same, say experts.

'Having visible signs and stations telling people to do so will get the message across, for a start,' said sociologist and Associate Professor Paulin Straughan, who heads the sociology department at the National University of Singapore.

Clear signals are the key to conversion.

'Perhaps there should not be a back-up team of cleaners to clear up the mess after diners, or they will think it's acceptable to leave the table and the mess,' she said.

The Straits Times is launching an effort to encourage diners to return their trays, with posters, stickers and mobiles serving as as reminders at five Kopitiam outlets islandwide.

The common sight of uncleared trays at food courts is not just an eyesore, but points to the need for Singaporeans to brush up on their social graces.

Indeed, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong pointed out at this year's National Day Rally that improving in such areas was important because the well-being of Singaporeans depended not just on bread-and-butter issues but on how people behaved and related to one another.

Agreeing, Prof Straughan said Singaporeans must be active stakeholders.

'If you see someone walk off, call them back to let them know what the expectations are. It is only through active social policing that we can encourage non-conformists to play their part,' she said.

To make tray clearing a breeze, clearly visible stations should be manned to ensure they are clean, and that there is always space for used utensils. Sinks around the collection stations also make it more convenient for patrons clean up after.

Prof Straughan cited an example of the food court at Tokyo Disneyland as a model of such an environment.

'There is a large return station with clear indicators of which utensils should go to which area.

'There are also sinks and wipes, so that when you are done clearing your tray, you can rinse off and dry your hands. So everyone was doing it, and the cleaners were there to clear the collection area and clean the tables,' she said.

Banker and foodcourt regular Mr Nicolas Chong suggested that instructions be spelt out to a T: 'If there are bold signs telling people to return their trays to the designated stations, I'm sure they would.'

Repeating the action will turn it into a habit - and a good one at that.

Dr Ng Beng Yeong, head of psychiatry at the Singapore General Hospital said: 'Over time, performing the task will become second nature.'

Although some blame the traditional preference for communal dining for creating messy tables, regular foodcourt diners say that is no excuse.

Said retired teacher Mrs Esther Wong: 'Many of us clear our plates at home after a meal with the family.

'I don't see why it should be any different when we share food at a hawker centre or a foodcourt.'

But to truly make Singaporeans gracious, the effort must be sustained by individuals.

To change mindsets, it is important to create a culture that encourages cleanliness, said consultant psychiatrist Adrian Wang.

Dr Wang says a campaign, such as The Straits Times' Goodness Gracious Me! effort, would show only short-term results, if not backed by a long-term strategy.

'Old habits die hard,' he said.

To improve overall social graces, 'we need to start young'. That means setting an example for children. 'Kids mirror adults. That's why we need to behave well before we can teach our kids manners.'

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why I don't return trays?

If I do, I may make a mess out of it as the stations are not really done up in a way for patrons to return trays themselves. Also, the poor cleaner might have to clean up more mess.

When I went to the US, I see people clearing up their own trays at fastfood restaurants. Good, we see one part. But the bad part is the tables are still dirty and less staff are actually deployed to clean the tables as the culture is to return your own tray.

We return the tray but is there a cloth to wipe the table? If there is, who will wash the cloth? If I wash the cloth, I think I rather eat at home.:o

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
its issues like these that make me miss hawker centers

we need more old school hawker centers with cheap good food, not these expensive, air-conditioned nonsense selling the same boring food sprouting up everywhere else.

jw5

Loyal
And deprive the old folks the dignity of employment?
I don't think you will deprive them of employment, because there will always be some who will not return their trays. And like silverfox said, the tables will be dirty. But you can help reduce the workload by returning your tray. Problem is that it's not apparent where to return in many places. Hence I only return trays in fast food places and food courts where the return area is clear.
I think the more important issue is why our government allows elderly citizens to work as cleaners, which is a tough job for the elderly.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
think the more important issue is why our government allows elderly citizens to work as cleaners, which is a tough job for the elderly.
=========

why dont you go up to the elderly , drop the tray on the floor , make it apper to be their fault and get them fired if you feel they should not be working ?