• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you invest in unit trusts?

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah same same here that time new dunno much just listen what all my family Ugrads and busi ads say since i am the blacksheep high school dropout. After kana burn learn my lession its not how much you know ishow much common sense an luck you have that counts.

[/QUOTE] Fortunately I diversified my investments. What did make money was the $$ I nvested in the stock maket in Spore, US & Malaysia.
The only regret I have is that I wasted so much time on unit trusts. If I had immediately gone into stocks could have made more:smile:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah same same here that time new dunno much just listen what all my family Ugrads and busi ads say since i am the blacksheep high school dropout. After kana burn learn my lession its not how much you know ishow much common sense an luck you have that counts.
Fortunately I diversified my investments. What did make money was the $$ I nvested in the stock maket in Spore, US & Malaysia.
The only regret I have is that I wasted so much time on unit trusts. If I had immediately gone into stocks could have made more:smile:[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have found that even Sporeans with "degrees" can be quite ignorant about how & where to invest. Our education system is pretty bad when it comes to teaching people how to think independantly.

When it comes to independance it's not in the interests of the gov't to do so.
That's why people are losing money investing in unit trusts, mini bonds,........:wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Absolutely right. Unit trusts makes money for the money managers, banks and the salespersons (euphemistically called Relationship Managers). During bull market, they all make money if the clients can make any money at all. During bear market, they all continue to make money while the clients lose massive amount of money.

Unit trusts are the 2nd biggest investment scam available out there to rip off the peasants right next to giving money to CHC.

Yes BUT CPF is money that you cannot touch.
Use it to invest in stocks and gold got restrictions and limit.
The rest use it to churn UTs.........get some cash out and dun let Whore Jinx get her hands on your monies.
If lucky you wont lose too much of the CPF......to make $2K gains my UT have to make $7K profit......$5K went to the managers and the fees. Go figure.......machiam i working for them.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only vegans invest in the "sure lose" unit trusts. Normal people invest in concrete products with transparent information. Unit trusts is like "smoke".. totally lacking in transparency and lots of charges

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys SGX been free falling over the past 2 weeks time to look into some bargain hunting :smile:

1. Cap Mall will buy at 1.8
2. Comf Delgro will buy at 1.3
3. M1 will buy at 2.5
4. Mapletree Com will buy at 1.0
5. Semb Corp will buy at 3.5

Just to name afew what about you guys care to share? As for SMRT won't bother to look into it unless it drops below 1.0

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey guys SGX been free falling over the past 2 weeks time to look into some bargain hunting :smile:

3. M1 will buy at 2.5

Just to name afew what about you guys care to share? As for SMRT won't bother to look into it unless it drops below 1.0

Forget about SGX stocks. Focus on US equities for better returns.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
why unit trusts, the financial planners and bankers are here to con you of your money thru admin, broker and miscellaneous fees. i'd rather speculate on my own, just read up some books, will do. besides, you park the money there for such long time and they give you peanuts return. can you name me any unit thrust that gave you more than 50% return, if yes, please go ahead and shoot me.:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

3. M1 will buy at 2.5

Even at the best of times, if you invest in SGX you will have to pay GST & costs of a Spore broker is not cheap. When you get dividens you will have to share with the PAP:wink:
Also have to pay broker $12/month for safe keeping, if you do not trade regularly.

With the last leaf getting impatient to rejoin his wife, there is some uncertainty to what is going to happen to Lee & Sons:smile:

In Malaysia you can buy in 100 pcs lots. Don't have to pay broker for any storage. Brokerage costs are minimal. There is also no GST charges on buying/selling of shares or when you receive dividens.

In the US you don't need to buy in lots, you can even buy 1 share. If you use a discount broker you pay no more than US$10 whether you buy 1 or 100 shares. There is no GST o charges when you receive dividens .

For Malaysia & US there is a 30% withholding tax on dividens.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
normally, how many lots you all humtum?:o

Never try the US market b4 but usually I set my target then try out 1 or 2 lots 1st if still go down buy another 1 or 2 lots but if pretty sure it hit rock bottom or its going up will dump in 50k n see how much I can buy.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even at the best of times, if you invest in SGX you will have to pay GST & costs of a Spore broker is not cheap. When you get dividens you will have to share with the PAP:wink:
Also have to pay broker $12/month for safe keeping, if you do not trade regularly.

With the last leaf getting impatient to rejoin his wife, there is some uncertainty to what is going to happen to Lee & Sons:smile:

In Malaysia you can buy in 100 pcs lots. Don't have to pay broker for any storage. Brokerage costs are minimal. There is also no GST charges on buying/selling of shares or when you receive dividens.

In the US you don't need to buy in lots, you can even buy 1 share. If you use a discount broker you pay no more than US$10 whether you buy 1 or 100 shares. There is no GST o charges when you receive dividens .

For Malaysia & US there is a 30% withholding tax on dividens.

bro, USA shares can buy 1 share meh ?

from who ah ? is it this thing call sharebuilder ?

i thought min is 1000 shares ?

aiyoh......if i knew can buy even 1 share, i would have had a number of winners liao all these years........

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
can lah, you can even buy less than 1 share for fun.:o

aiyoh......if i knew can buy even 1 share, i would have had a number of winners liao all these years........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nowadays it's very easy to invest in the US. All you need is to open an account with a US broker such as Etrade, Sink or Swim. They have offices in Spore
https://www.thinkorswim.com.sg/tos/client/index.jsp?cid=PSSING
https://us.etrade.com/home

Last time MAS made it difficult for Sporeans to invest in the US. You had to have about $60,000+ to open a brokerage account in Spore to trade US equities. However with discount brokers like Etrade & ThinkorSwim you you can start trading with a few thousand.

Prices of US shares can vary from a few dollars to over $165,000 i.e Berkshire Hathaway which is run by Warren Buffet. You do not have to buy in lots lah. Who can afford to buy Apple shares which are around $430+ each if you had to buy in 1,000 lots :biggrin:

Can do alot more in the US market you can buy/sell ETFs, can play in the options market, long/short the market, etc. You can use any browser to access their trading platform.
Etrade or Think or Swim will satisfy most investors needs.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays it's very easy to invest in the US. All you need is to open an account with a US broker such as Etrade, Sink or Swim. They have offices in Spore
https://www.thinkorswim.com.sg/tos/client/index.jsp?cid=PSSING
https://us.etrade.com/home

Last time MAS made it difficult for Sporeans to invest in the US. You had to have about $60,000+ to open a brokerage account in Spore to trade US equities. However with discount brokers like Etrade & ThinkorSwim you you can start trading with a few thousand.

Prices of US shares can vary from a few dollars to over $165,000 i.e Berkshire Hathaway which is run by Warren Buffet. You do not have to buy in lots lah. Who can afford to buy Apple shares which are around $430+ each if you had to buy in 1,000 lots :biggrin:

Can do alot more in the US market you can buy/sell ETFs, can play in the options market, long/short the market, etc. You can use any browser to access their trading platform.
Etrade or Think or Swim will satisfy most investors needs.

thanks ah.......i thought minimum was 100 shares for US stocks......

Lambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you invest in unit trusts? What are your views on the same?

I prefer to invest in unit trusts and in my opinion it is a fine source of investment… if you're planning to invest in the same, then recommend you to do a detailed research before going ahead with it, as there are risks involved in it.