• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you invest in unit trusts?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Find a friendly financial adviser....
Use cpf to invest in unit trust....
Churn your investment, get kickbacks and literally withdraw your cpf.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unit trusts are the best..............they make more money for the managers than the clients.............if the clients can make any money at all...........

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CPF also can buy shares mah.............except profit can't take out and can't short stocks...........

so if buy unit trusts can take out CPF money if profitable huh ?

StinkiePeasants

Alfrescian
Loyal
unit trusts are the best..............they make more money for the managers than the clients.............if the clients can make any money at all...........

Absolutely right. Unit trusts makes money for the money managers, banks and the salespersons (euphemistically called Relationship Managers). During bull market, they all make money if the clients can make any money at all. During bear market, they all continue to make money while the clients lose massive amount of money.

Unit trusts are the 2nd biggest investment scam available out there to rip off the peasants right next to giving money to CHC.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far I have never heard of anybody who get wealthy "investing" in unit trusts.

It is supposed to be a relatively safe investments, but by the time the shiny brochure is printed and presented to the clients by glorified insurance agents, whatever upside for the instruments have already been exhausted.

Please folks, buying such rubbish do nothing much in term of improving your financial position. All you are doing is improving the financial position of the glorified insurance agents who sell you the junk.

If you want better mileage from your CPF money, please migrate and denounce your worthless citizenship, and keep the money under your pillow living in a relatively cheap country.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
Find a friendly financial adviser....
Use cpf to invest in unit trust....
Churn your investment, get kickbacks and literally withdraw your cpf.

There's a very good reason financial advisers a friendly. They would be more so if they know you intend to buy unit trusts.

If a person has a heart at all, he/she would not join the industry in scamming innocent and clueless peasants.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
why put your$$ in other people pocket?
as least i am happy to lose under my own pocket...
not let other lose my $

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few years ago I invested $30K in unit trust investments by purchasing four different funds in equal proportions - Asia Pacific ex Japan, Europe, Japan and USA. The financial advisor told me must diversify ok so I ended up with the four funds. Only managed to make money from the Asian fund. On hindsight I should not have believed that guy too much and could have made more money just by buying the Asian fund. So can still make money lah if you invest in the right fund ....

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few years ago I invested $30K in unit trust investments by purchasing four different funds in equal proportions - Asia Pacific ex Japan, Europe, Japan and USA. The financial advisor told me must diversify ok so I ended up with the four funds. Only managed to make money from the Asian fund. On hindsight I should not have believed that guy too much and could have made more money just by buying the Asian fund. So can still make money lah if you invest in the right fund ....

'Most"financial advisor are not financial smart.
they are just another group eager to earn commsion that all.
the real financial smart guru are hidden....and busy looking for opportunity, they got no interest to earn petty commosion

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lost over 40K in UT with citibank. Fedup with them wanted to withdraw send young sweet banker talk to me still insisted on withdrawing. Wah! gave me the cold treatment after that. Took whatever $ I got back and decided to do my own investment. After 1.5yrs recovered back my looses :smile:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most Asians are not investors, rather they are speculators. That's why Asian markets are not traded on fundamentals.

Open a US trading account with the many cheap online brokerage. Buy 5 ETFs - US equities, US small cap, Europe, Emerging economies and Bonds. Rebalancing you portfolio every year to bring it back to original allocation. You should be averaging about 7 percent annually over a 20 year investment horizon. You can expect to triple your money over that period.

These ETF have MER of less than 1 percent. The other cost to you is the trade commission which is about $2-$5 per trade depending on the brokerage. Your initial cost of setting up is $25 at most. Every year, you spent the max of $50 to rebalance.

There, you have a lazy investor portfolio that is diversified and will ride you through the whim and fancies of the market. It is a long term investment, so don't watch it day and night. It is not fancy but it works.

Last edited:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I do, used to invest in a Global Balance Fund (i.e investing on Global Equities and Bonds).

Invested during the low, and exited at 30% profit after a few years. It went higher after I sold the UT. Should be around 2002 to 2006 period.

Has been out of the UT market since. Waiting for the next crisis before going in again. Every year I say market very high, wait for correction. But every year market goes higher... Even during the GFC in 2008, It thought that the market will be lower, so I did waited and waited and missed the boat. :(

Some internet portal charge low sales commission, like Fund Supermart etc..

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lost over 40K in UT with citibank. Fedup with them wanted to withdraw send young sweet banker talk to me still insisted on withdrawing. Wah! gave me the cold treatment after that. Took whatever $ I got back and decided to do my own investment. After 1.5yrs recovered back my looses :smile:

I was heavily into unit trusts: Citibank & DBS. With Citibank I just broke even after so many years. I got out & invested elsewhere. If I was still invested I would no doubt have been burned by the financial crisis which started around 2008.

Still have my CPF invested with DBS unit trusts. Made heavy losses even before the financial crisis. Just have to ignore it as I doubt I will ever get to touch it as long as the PAP is still in power:(

Fortunately I diversified my investments. What did make money was the $$ I nvested in the stock maket in Spore, US & Malaysia.
The only regret I have is that I wasted so much time on unit trusts. If I had immediately gone into stocks could have made more:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most Asians are not investors, rather they are speculators. That's why Asian markets are not traded on fundamentals.

Open a US trading account with the many cheap online brokerage. Buy 5 ETFs - US equities, US small cap, Europe, Emerging economies and Bonds. Rebalancing you portfolio every year to bring it back to original allocation. You should be averaging about 7 percent annually over a 20 year investment horizon. You can expect to triple your money over that period.

These ETF have MER of less than 1 percent. The other cost to you is the trade commission which is about $2-$5 per trade depending on the brokerage. Your initial cost of setting up is $25 at most. Every year, you spent the max of $50 to rebalance.

There, you have a lazy investor portfolio that is diversified and will ride you through the whim and fancies of the market. It is a long term investment, so don't watch it day and night. It is not fancy but it works.

If you are a regular trader(not investor) I heard that Interactive Broker has one of the best rates around. It's not user friendly but the charges are one of the lowest.