• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do not remove your appendix

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
We sometimes hear medical personnel suggesting people to remove their appendix, because it serves "no useful" purpose, and that may be prone to infection. Most of us laypeople won't know better, so there is a chance that we could go along with that suggestion. For me, I go by the logic "if it ain't broken (in this case painful), leave it alone." Looks like they now say it (the appendix) does have benefits. Read on.

Cheers!

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-12/01/c_134871321.htm

Aust'n scientists discover appendix has more health benefits than first thought

English.news.cn 2015-12-01 07:51:59

MELBOURNE, Dec. 1 (Xinhua)-- Melbourne researchers have discovered that the appendix is actually useful in helping fight off digestive infections and cancer.
Scientists at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI) have concluded that the appendix and a group of immune cells join together to ward off digestive infections.
The new findings, led by Professor Gabrielle Belz, a laboratory head at the WEHI's molecular immunology division, give lie to the commonly held belief that the appendix doesn't contribute much to the body's functioning.
"Popular belief tells us the appendix is a liability ... However, we may wish to rethink whether the appendix is irrelevant to our health," she said on Tuesday.
The study, led by Belz and leading French immunologist Professor Eric Vivier, found that innate lymphoid cells (ILCs) shield the appendix from harmful bacteria.
This allows the organ to provide a refuge for the 'good' bacteria before they "reseed" the intestines and bring good health back to the digestive system.
The results of the study, published in Nature Immunology journal on Tuesday, showed the ILCs form an extra layer of protection for the immune system of healthy people.
The study also found the ILCs are able to withstand chemotherapy treatment, which is unusual for immune cells.
With 70,000 Australians getting their appendix removed each year, it is one of the most common medical procedures.
But in recent times, doctors have begun to advise against surgery, which is now regarded as a last resort.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Sinkieland, you can go to the hospital to remove your appendix and come out minus appendix but plus hepatitis C if you can come out at all! World crass healthcare for the daft!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not my intention to speak for god, as I am uncertain of his (or her?) existence, and what role he (or she?) plays, but a friend of mine who is a strong believer of God will say that God has thought about everything and has a purpose for everything s/he created. Because of this, my friend is against the idea of removing one's appendix.

However, he is stumped when I question him about donating/receiving blood.

Cheers!

Now why God didn't think about that when He made them?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some other countries, one would be lucky if the hospital didn't swipe one of the kidneys during the ops and sell it.

Cheers!

In Sinkieland, you can go to the hospital to remove your appendix and come out minus appendix but plus hepatitis C if you can come out at all! World crass healthcare for the daft!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not my intention to speak for god, as I am uncertain of his (or her?) existence, and what role he (or she?) plays, but a friend of mine who is a strong believer of God will say that God has thought about everything and has a purpose for everything s/he created. Because of this, my friend is against the idea of removing one's appendix.

However, he is stumped when I question him about donating/receiving blood.

Cheers!

No need to worry, sir. God will provide.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea what is the purpose of removing the foreskin from a penis. I know that some religions require males to do so when they reach puberty, but I do not know the reason for it. Also read that it is recommended for hygienic reasons, which begs the question - is washing one's cock with soap and water insufficient? And also read that it is to prevent STDs (????) - so, if one sticks his circumcised cock into a diseased orifice, won't get infected? So, I do not know of a good reason for removing foreskin. But a GP once told me that some intern doctor in his batch took home some foreskins to feed his Oscar fishes!

Cheers!

how about men's foreskin? do you need to remove it

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Re: Do not remove your appendix

Say if one has lost lots of blood (eg. road accident, or severe cut, or big time operation) and needs to replenish blood. My "God-loving" friend says that it is God's wish, if you're gonna die, you will die, no need for fresh blood to be transferred. I differ. I believe that it is human (and every living thing's) to prolong life and avoid death, so I'd go ahead with the transfusion. He and me don't see eye-to-eye on such issues. He believes its God's will. I believe we are unable to control everything, but where we can, we should.

Cheers!

What about? Maybe I can try to answer?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: I Re: Do not remove your appendix

Say if one has lost lots of blood (eg. road accident, or severe cut, or big time operation) and needs to replenish blood. My "God-loving" friend says that it is God's wish, if you're gonna die, you will die, no need for fresh blood to be transferred. I differ. I believe that it is human (and every living thing's) to prolong life and avoid death, so I'd go ahead with the transfusion. He and me don't see eye-to-eye on such issues. He believes its God's will. I believe we are unable to control everything, but where we can, we should.

Cheers!

Your friend does not know what is love towards others.. what a waste of time to go to some fake church.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: I Re: Do not remove your appendix

I may not agree with him (or anybody else) on various issues, but it is never my wish to criticize or challenge anybody's affiliation or affinity to any faith or belief. It is their choice.

Cheers!

Your friend does not know what is love towards others.. what a waste of time to go to some fake church.