• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dettol

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Why I mix concentrated Dettol with water, the whole mixture becomes a cloudy solution?

But if I buy Dettol pre mix diluted for wiping floor and surfaces, it's a clear solution?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why I mix concentrated Dettol with water, the whole mixture becomes a cloudy solution?

But if I buy Dettol pre mix diluted for wiping floor and surfaces, it's a clear solution?

Dettol these days, since they bought over Lysol...doesn't smell that strong or concentrated anymore. Dettol mixed with water will still be cloudy in appearance. Hospitals in the old days smell of Lysol, that was the disinfectant they uses to clean the wards etc.. Areas where they need to be germ free, in other words hygienic, I smell Eusol. These are the two smells I associate hospitals with, till this day.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Dettol these days, since they bought over Lysol...doesn't smell that strong or concentrated anymore. Dettol mixed with water will still be cloudy in appearance. Hospitals in the old days smell of Lysol, that was the disinfectant they uses to clean the wards etc.. Areas where they need to be germ free, in other words hygienic, I smell Eusol. These are the two smells I associate hospitals with, till this day.
Still doesn't explain why a clear concentrated solution becomes milky and cloudy after dilution with water... Maybe biochem expert @zhihau will know...:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Still doesn't explain why a clear concentrated solution becomes milky and cloudy after dilution with water... Maybe biochem expert @zhihau will know...:biggrin:

simi daichi... if you read up on the ingredients of Dettol, it has pine oil that gives it the distinctive smell; when concentrated Dettol is diluted in water, the oil forms an emulsion in the water.

Apparently castor oil is also an ingredient for Dettol as well, so there goes.

LaoTze

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chlorox more chun.
If you kiasu, add more of that.

Tony Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is called emulsion.

When the metal machining workshop mix coolant with water the similar brown clear coolant oil also became milky white like Dettol.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
simi daichi... if you read up on the ingredients of Dettol, it has pine oil that gives it the distinctive smell; when concentrated Dettol is diluted in water, the oil forms an emulsion in the water.

Apparently castor oil is also an ingredient for Dettol as well, so there goes.
Wah, biochem sexpert 就是 sexpert :biggrin: