• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DBS in the news again...

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
..and lo and behold....the neighbor is Lionel de Souza...:(:(

Woman's bank shock: Info sent to neighbour
DBS Net banking user ID, PIN, security token sent to wrong address
By Mavis Toh

IMAGINE the anxiety you would feel if, after applying for an Internet banking account, you are told that the bank has sent your user ID, personal identification number (PIN) and security token to the wrong address.

In the case of a 35-year-old housewife, these items were mailed to her neighbour's home by DBS Bank.

She lives in unit #01-20 in a Bedok condominium, but her documents were addressed and delivered to #01-02 in the same development.

Fortunately for her, the neighbour who received her user ID and security token alerted The Straits Times when the sealed mailer containing the password arrived some days later.

The housewife, who declined to be named, insisted she gave the bank the correct address when she filled out the application form at its Suntec City branch.

When contacted, DBS did not want to comment on the case, citing customer confidentiality, but urged customers to check that they have provided the right address when signing up.

Its spokesman added: 'As with any other banking documents, the tokens are sent to the mailing address that is authorised by the customer.'

DBS and POSB have 1.35 million customers who bank online.

Security experts contacted said the security breach could have led to monetary loss.

The neighbour who received the housewife's Internet banking documents, private investigator Lionel De Souza, did not open the sealed password mailer. He said: 'This is dangerous. If it lands in the wrong hands, money will be lost.'

An individual who receives another person's user ID, PIN, registration code and security password token device can log into that person's account and make Internet transactions.

Bill payments can be easily made, although fund transfers involving large sums will not go through, because a one-time password sent to the cellphone of the rightful owner of the account will still be needed.

Mr Gerard Tan, the president of the Association of Information Security Professionals said it is important for DBS to investigate what went wrong.

'To get this mix-up, someone may have updated the wrong address or keyed the wrong information into the system,' he said.

He said the window period, before the customer realises that his or her documents have gone astray, gives opportunity to those with criminal intentions. 'It is clearly an invasion of privacy and a breach of confidentiality,' he said.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) Internet Banking and Technology Risk Management Guidelines stress that the bank must ensure a customer is properly identified and authenticated before giving access to sensitive information or online banking functions.

Mr Tan suggested banks call customers within two days of sending out the documents or get them to pick them up in person so their identities can be verified.

The housewife said that, to beef up security, the bank could also get customers to call in when they receive the token so their details can be verified; the password should only be sent to them after this.

On its part, DBS said there has not been a case in which a token sent to a wrong address was used unlawfully for banking transactions; it added that its Money Safe guarantee protects its customers from unauthorised transactions.

DBS was censured by the MAS for a systems breakdown in July which crippled its Internet and branch banking and ATM network for seven hours.

For now, the housewife, already stung, has decided to stick to paying her bills at ATMs.

She said: 'It's dangerous, what has happened. I've definitely lost confidence... and as convenient as Internet banking can be, maybe it's not for me.'

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
..and lo and behold....the neighbor is Lionel de Souza...:(:(

Woman's bank shock: Info sent to neighbour
DBS Net banking user ID, PIN, security token sent to wrong address
By Mavis Toh

IMAGINE the anxiety you would feel if, after applying for an Internet banking account, you are told that the bank has sent your user ID, personal identification number (PIN) and security token to the wrong address.

for me.'

DBS has no excuse, the bank will have a photocpy of our Identity Card for all transactions. Definetely human error. haha foreign talents involved.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here is another one...SWISS STANDARD OF BANKING??, this is what you get, when you outsource all the work & staff the organization with FT's especially the darker in colour kind...:wink:

=====================================================

Woman's bank account closed without her knowledge

Money had been transferred to a new joint account without her knowledge or consent. She is waiting for a "proper explanation" from the bank. -myp

Mon, Sep 06, 2010
my paper

By Gwendolyn Ng

WHEN Madam Poh Guat Cheng went to withdraw money from the POSB branch at Tiong Bahru Plaza last month, she was shocked to discover that the account had been closed.

What shocked her even more was subsequently learning that all $48,000 in the fixed-deposit account had been withdrawn in 2007.

Madam Poh said she hardly monitored the account as it was opened jointly with her 89-year-old mother, who suffers from dementia and is unable to recognise friends or even family members.

Perplexed, she contacted the bank and was told that the money had been transferred to a new joint account set up by her mother and someone else.

This, Madam Poh said, was done without her knowledge or consent.

Her mother is unable to remember who she set up the new account with.

Said Madam Poh, a 54-year-old housewife: "The bank said it had complied with all its regulations. As long as one account holder is present with an identity card, and her thumbprint is on the withdrawal slip, it's okay? But it really isn't."

Her main grouse is that the bank should have exercised greater vigilance.

A spokesman for DBS Bank, of which POSB is a subsidiary, told my paper that any party sharing a joint-alternate account may make decisions, such as closing the account, without consent from the other parties.

DBS declined to comment on this case, citing customer confidentiality, but added that "banks cannot unilaterally invoke any sanctions on customers' accounts even if the customer is mentally incapacitated".

Madam Poh said: "The bank should have done a better job of protecting my mother, who cannot even recognise us, much less fill up a form and close an account."

In a 2008 case, an OCBC Bank officer raised the alarm because of doubts over customer Hwang Cheng Tsu Hsu's mental capacity to handle her bank accounts when she demanded to close all of them. Madam Hwang was 93 at the time.

After an assessment by the bank, which included a home visit, OCBC decided to freeze Madam Hwang's accounts containing $8.9 million.

Mr Dennis Tan, OCBC's head of branch & premier banking, told my paper: "When we come across cases where we are concerned about a customer's mental capacity to make decisions regarding his account, we would try to obtain more information."

OCBC's officers are also trained to observe customers and pick up signs, such as if there is influence and coercion exerted by a third party on the customer.

A spokesman for the Office of the Public Guardian, which comes under the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, said: "In a fast-ageing population like Singapore's, with a rising number of dementia cases, the need for all adult Singaporeans to make proactive plans to protect their personal and financial matters is even more compelling."

The spokesman highlighted the Mental Capacity Act, which provides for adult Singaporeans to appoint proxy decision-makers to act in their best interest should they lose their mental capacity.

The Act came into effect on March 1 this year.

For now, Madam Poh hopes to get a "proper explanation" from the bank.

She said: "How about people like us, who are already stuck in this situation? Legal means are costly and time-consuming. The money and time would be better spent on my mother

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
knn, no wonder i see long Q almost everday.:rolleyes:

at same time, i also see FT Q-ing too. Why so scare of your fellow ppl in working banks huh?

i tot both of you are FT? doubts on your fellow man capability?:rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not surprised, still getting my unit acct statements sent to my old,old,...address. Must be 9 years since I moved, have tried to inform DBS a few times but given up on them. Damn Bloody Stupid

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that when they relocated their branch in HK, they forgotten to relocate all the fixed deposit boxes from the old branch. All the contents in the fixed deposit boxes were lost when contractors move in to begin work. Dont know how much they have to compensate the customers using the fixed deposit boxes.:rolleyes:

This type of oversight also can happen, wrong postal address is just peanuts.

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that when they relocated their branch in HK, they forgotten to relocate all the fixed deposit boxes from the old branch. All the contents in the fixed deposit boxes were lost when contractors move in to begin work. Dont know how much they have to compensate the customers using the fixed deposit boxes.:rolleyes:

this kind of thing happen in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia...but here??:eek::eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Obviously looking after the customer's valuables was the last thing on the management's to do list, eh not in the list :eek:

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
outstanding! DBS is not only telling us "don't be stupid", it's now proven that the system is "damn bloody stupid"