• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had the opportunity to go to katong for laksa and rojak today. Unlike the past, the place was quite empty today. The owner told me that business had dropped by 50% recently. and he emphasised that it was not his stall alone..the surrounding coffee shops have the same problem. I have heard many similar stories from small businesses.

Will this spiral to other businesses too?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TracyTan866 said:
I had the opportunity to go to katong for laksa and rojak today. Unlike the past, the place was quite empty today. The owner told me that business had dropped by 50% recently. and he emphasised that it was not his stall alone..the surrounding coffee shops have the same problem.

Normally the food industry is relatively immune to recession. Could be a combination of CNY and re-opening of the renovated Katong Mall which has a Food Republic and a number of small eateries inside.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Will this spiral to other businesses too?

do you eat the Laksa with the Otah?
food business now harder to sustain as a result of higher overheads. coupled with the proliferation of so many different food outlets along that East Coast stretch, limited parking space, opening of i12 Katong, tough business for all :o:o:o

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Normally the food industry is relatively immune to recession. Could be a combination of CNY and re-opening of the renovated Katong Mall which has a Food Republic and a number of small eateries inside.

That's true. Especially the smaller food stalls which serve reasonably priced foods shdnt be hit too badly. but if they are hit, it will be harder for the bigger restaurants. These bigger restaurants can be hit quite hard in bad times.

You know I12 and Katong Mall!!! That shows that you speak with good knowledge!!!

Indeed, there are many small eateries in Katong.

I was also at I12 and the restaurants look quite empty...do try the Olive rice at Bali Thai

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
food business now harder to sustain as a result of higher overheads. coupled with the proliferation of so many different food outlets along that East Coast stretch, limited parking space, opening of i12 Katong, tough business for all :o:o:o

u r knowledgeable...

if the slowdown is because of I12, then it is localised and not too bad. But if it is like that throughout SG, then we are in for a bad time.

and if food business is bad, many other industries will be worse

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bad times ahead for Singapore?

"Singapore retail investors are becoming more pessimistic in their investment outlook compared with six months ago, according to a poll released on Tuesday by JP Morgan Asset Management.

The semi-annual survey conducted in December 2011 amongst 502 investors found that those who were upbeat or neutral when the same survey was conducted six months earlier have mostly turned cautious about the future."

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TracyTan866 said:
That's true. Especially the smaller food stalls which serve reasonably priced foods shdnt be hit too badly. but if they are hit, it will be harder for the bigger restaurants. These bigger restaurants can be hit quite hard in bad times.

You know I12 and Katong Mall!!! That shows that you speak with good knowledge!!!

Indeed, there are many small eateries in Katong.

I was also at I12 and the restaurants look quite empty...do try the Olive rice at Bali Thai

Din Tai Fung and Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice is also there. There is also a Canton food joint selling roast meat.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ChaoPappyPoodle said:
Singaporeans working as maids here or overseas will be a possibility in 10-20 years' time. The two hurdles that have to be cleared include psychological as well as salary. Currently, cleaners in Singapore earn between $600-$800. The cost of hiring a maid in Singapore is approximately $750 which includes the maid's salary and the government's maid levy. In essence we have already breached the salary hurdle. As long as the wages of our lower income group does not increase in the next 10-20 years, and the wages of maids increase, the larger discrepancy between a cleaner's salary and the cost of hiring a maid will make SIngapore maids here and overseas a reality.

No need to survey. The whole world is going into a downspin. The issue is how deep this spin is. Just watch your investments. My own opinion is it will be better if they just let Greece go.

The bond investors will be recovering only 30% of their capital anyway. What is the difference if they lose the entire capital? By helping Greece you are not only helping them with the debt but also dealing with the serious dislocation of their economy. There is no way they can fit into the Eurozone. They will only bring the rest down. If they can convince the others to fund them, the recession will only drag on longer. UK is smart not to be currency linked. Short pain is not as bad as long pain.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to survey. The whole world is going into a downspin. The issue is how deep this spin is. Just watch your investments. My own opinion is it will be better if they just let Greece go.

The bond investors will be recovering only 30% of their capital anyway. What is the difference if they lose the entire capital? By helping Greece you are not only helping them with the debt but also dealing with the serious dislocation of their economy. There is no way they can fit into the Eurozone. They will only bring the rest down. If they can convince the others to fund them, the recession will only drag on longer. UK is smart not to be currency linked. Short pain is not as bad as long pain.

Good analysis. Will the euro problem balloon into an economic disaster? will the middle east military threat compound the economic gloom? How badly will SG be affected?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i12? yes, the aqua playground next to GV seems like a good place for the kiddos :smile::smile::smile:
Tamon? no, haven't been there. but the char kwey teow at the Jago Close kopitiam is good :p:p:p

Yes, Jago Close char kway teow is good...is Peter still there?

Candide

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mdm Koh's situation is still bad

Did Mdm Koh go to TSC and look for her ex-caseworker? From my end, I will only formally step in to render assistance for her and her family if TSC and the other relevant government agencies can't do anything for her. Let me know asap.

Last edited: