• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kukubird58 said:
hahaha....how do you define poor??
there are many pple who lack self disciple (rich to rags) and are not very willing to take up tough jobs.

I won't laugh when I am talking about poor people. It is not a trivial matter to be poor. How do I define poor people? They are people who do not have a future, leading a day to day existence. I have to say I am fortunate not to fall within this group.

But I had the opportunity to visit a destitute home where dozen upon dozen of these people were kept in a barack like open door dormitory, with a single mess tin and a wooden bed without mattress as their personal sole possession. The mess tin was used as a toiletry container as well as a receptacle for food.

As I walked through these inhabitants, some sitting on the floor, some squatting, there was an eerie silence and all the time there were flies buzzing around the place, landing on their arms and faces, on sores. It was as if this was such a common place thing that none of them bother to swat away these insects. There was only one worker looking after the entire place. In addition to being the housekeeper, he was also in charge of cooking food, presumably noodles, in a big wok. Yes. They had food to eat but what else did they have?

I regret to say that it was one of the few occasions that I wished I could get out as soon as I could.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that's your wish, what's stopping you?
hahaha.....gugu, the way you interprete things amazes me...
if it is something that you can achieve easily within your means, then you don't need to wish......
let me tell you my wish......that is to bring you to a romantic place and serenade you.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't laugh when I am talking about poor people. It is not a trivial matter to be poor. How do I define poor people?
hahaha....when did i laugh at poor pple???
i only laugh at myself all the time.....even when i have to clean tables for a living.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't laugh when I am talking about poor people. It is not a trivial matter to be poor. How do I define poor people? They are people who do not have a future, leading a day to day existence. I have to say I am fortunate not to fall within this group.

But I had the opportunity to visit a destitute home where dozen upon dozen of these people were kept in a barack like open door dormitory, with a single mess tin and a wooden bed without mattress as their personal sole possession. The mess tin was used as a toiletry container as well as a receptacle for food.

As I walked through these inhabitants, some sitting on the floor, some squatting, there was an eerie silence and all the time there were flies buzzing around the place, landing on their arms and faces, on sores. It was as if this was such a common place thing that none of them bother to swat away these insects. There was only one worker looking after the entire place. In addition to being the housekeeper, he was also in charge of cooking food, presumably noodles, in a big wok. Yes. They had food to eat but what else did they have?

I regret to say that it was one of the few occasions that I wished I could get out as soon as I could.

Thanks, Fook Seng for posting this. As a social volunteer. I really appreciate it, especially when the forum host himself not only do not sympathise with those who are left out of this PAP mad race towards GDP and reserves growth, but call these people names and poke fun at them.

When I was first introduced to volunteerism, my mentor (so to speak) brought me for a tour of a few places where the destitues live. I wept after the visits. He told me I need not be shy of crying as he cried too when he was first brought on such a tour. And u know what? When I myself started to mentor others, the two persons that I brought on a visit cried too after seeing for themselves the hellish conditions they are living in. But inevitably our sadness turned into anger as we learnt about how difficult it is for them to get any form of govt aid. You see many people will just say we cannot anyhow give these people aid as that would lead to a welfare state. But until u actually come alongside these poor people, then u will know that the situation and plight that they are in are through no fault of theirs and if they could, they would very much want to work just like any ordinary people. Leongsam knows nothing about such people as he keeps company with only those who are successful (typical of PAP cronies), hence his total lack of sympathy for these people and laughing at them from a remote distance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
When I was first introduced to volunteerism, my mentor (so to speak) brought me for a tour of a few places where the destitues live. I wept after the visits. He told me I need not be shy of crying as he cried too when he was first brought on such a tour. And u know what? When I myself started to mentor others, the two persons that I brought on a visit cried too after seeing for themselves the hellish conditions they are living in.

That's the problem with all of you. You're all far too emotional. The issues cannot be solved by feeling sorry for such people. They are there because they made poor choices in life. They do have my sympathy but they can hardly blame the PAP for their predicament.

I have already pointed out many times that to help them financially would be a slap in the face for those who actually take responsibility for their own lives. However, there is nothing stopping you organising a charity drive to help them out instead of wasting your time writing rubbish in this forum.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the problem with all of you. You're all far too emotional. The issues cannot be solved by feeling sorry for such people. They are there because they made poor choices in life. They do have my sympathy but they can hardly blame the PAP for their predicament.

I have already pointed out many times that to help them financially would be a slap in the face for those who actually take responsibility for their own lives. However, there is nothing stopping you organising a charity drive to help them out instead of wasting your time writing rubbish in this forum.

Oh no! We don't just feel sorry for them as the PAP hypocrites would do. We help them in many ways and most of time funded by our own personal pockets since the PAP chose to look the other way even though these are S'pore citizens and who had once contributed to build up this nation. As I'd explained, these people would want to take responsibilities for their lives and that's why they always ask we find them jobs the moment they see us. They really feel bad living on others, they really do. I need to post all these as I am concerned that many impressionable forummers will get swayed by your comments without knowing the actual situation these people are in. I need to put straight the distortions that u deliberately painted of these poor folks, though I hope it's due more to ignorance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Oh no! We don't just feel sorry for them as the PAP hypocrites would do. We help them in many ways and most of time funded by our own personal pockets since the PAP chose to look the other way even though these are S'pore citizens and who had once contributed to build up this nation. As I'd explained, these people would want to take responsibilities for their lives and that's why they always ask we find them jobs the moment they see us. They really feel bad living on others, they really do. I need to post all these as I am concerned that many impressionable forummers will get swayed by your comments without knowing the actual situation these people are in. I need to put straight the distortions that u deliberately painted of these poor folks, though I hope it's due more to ignorance.

These characters are just taking advantage of your kindness. Don't let them fool you. I too have tried to help some of the down and out find work. When a job is available, they last 3 days and then quit. There is always some excuse. The bottom line is that they are just lazy.