• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Covid & it's variants will still haunt us for the next 5 years. So what are the implications for all of us in Singapore and the world?

ikanbilis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Five years before a vaccine can ‘hold the line’ against Covid variants, England’s medical chief says​

LONDON — England’s top medical officer has warned that the coming winter will continue to be difficult for the country’s health system despite the country’s successful coronavirus vaccination program.

A further easing of lockdown restrictions in England was delayed this week due to a surge in cases of the delta variant first discovered in India.

In a speech to the NHS Confederation Thursday, Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said the current wave of Covid infections due to the delta variant would likely be followed by another surge in the winter.

He said that Covid-19 “has not thrown its last surprise at us and there will be several more [variants] over the next period,” according to Sky News. He added that it would likely take five years before there are vaccines that could “hold the line” to a very large degree against a range of coronavirus variants.

And until then, he said that new vaccination programs and booster shots would be needed.

In the U.K., where the delta variant is now responsible for the bulk of new infections, cases have spiked among young people and the unvaccinated, leading to a rise in hospitalizations in those cohorts.

It’s hoped that Covid-19 vaccination programs can stop the spread of the delta variant and so the race is on to protect younger people who might not be fully vaccinated.

Analysis from Public Health England released on Monday showed that two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines are highly effective against hospitalization from the delta variant.

But some vaccines are reported to be less effective against other strains. For example, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said earlier this month that it has started commercial negotiations with AstraZeneca to secure a variant vaccine — which has been adapted to tackle the variant first discovered in South Africa.

Meanwhile, trials of booster shots are already underway in Britain and there are reports that the population will receive a third shot before winter this year.

Over 42 million people have had a first dose of a vaccine in Britain — that’s about 80% of the adult population — and over 30 million people have had their second dose.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A load of rubbish. Texas, Florida, Las Vegas etc have all gone back to normal. Of course Covid might continue to kill but so do hundreds of other diseases.

ikanbilis

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/ho...-breaker-is-lifted-in-may-or-extended.283857/

I guess we are, (or at least most of us) are, hoping that normalcy returns.

I want to take a walk at the park, the mall, the supermarket, without the distrustful fear that I will bump into a person who has the virus, or walk past a person who has recovered from the virus, and possibly still infectious. I want the ability to give a hug to family members and close friends, not living in the same household, without lingering doubts of the need to be socially distant.

While I wait for the light at the end of this novel viral tunnel, I cannot help but think the world, or for closeness to my heart, Singapore, will change forever.

I reckon the PAP government has not even a properly thought out plan in place on how to resume after circuit breaker, how to create more jobs for those who have lost them.

Erroneously led Singaporean sheeps think that just by reopening the circuit breaker, the economy, their jobs will be back, the Singapore economy is going to boom again, the stock market will bull to pre Covid-19 levels, the property market will continue its ascent and we all live happily thereafter.

I don't think so. I think that majority of those who lost their jobs aren’t getting their jobs back, and the arduous process of job seeking, especially for those in the mid 20s to early 40s will sap their energies and expectations. There will be a long term rise in social illnesses, from suicides, divorces, to simple family disputes over money, children and care for the elderly.

At present, food centres, coffeeshops, restaurants, (though open for takeaways now), have been ordered to remove or seal their tables so they can keep social distancing. Even after Covid-19 Circuit Breaker is lifted in May (or extended period), most of us will still keep to ourselves, or stay at home as much as possible. How many of us want to or even dare to have gatherings at food centres, coffeeshops or restaurants. Even with limited seatings (most likely to be imposed by the authorities post circuit breaker), many people will still be hesitant. Most restaurants will also require reservations. Food stalls and coffeshop stalls, relying on volume business to keep prices affordable may not see the pre Covid-19 volumes for some time. They will either struggle to survive, either raise prices (to cover up for the volume shortfall) or pack up. Sporting events may not resume as usual. Cinemas, shows and concerts, if allowed to proceed with some social distancing guidelines, will cost a bomb for a ticket as the organisers will no longer to be able to pack the venues for economy of scale. Coupled with lost in income, not many will be able to afford. Organisers might not even want to proceed.

In this forum, I read some of those posts promoting herd immunity with some concern. Why do I say so? Well, the virus is novel. Yes, I agree most will have mild symptoms. Yes, I agree that the seniors have a higher mortality rate.

BUT!

Have you ever thought that the world is dealing with a new coronaviruus? We do not know (at this moment) the long term effects of being infected. Will the virus remain latent in the human bodies after the initial recovery, flared up again in future, affecting some of the major human organs? Will it lie latent for now in the human body and subsequently mutate into some form of chronic illness in a few years? There are simply too little scientific data on long term effects to support such a herd immunity strategy (at least for now).

IMHO, until a vaccine is created, I don’t see much changing.

I also do not believe Singapore, (despite its supposed brightest and higest paid) men and women in the political leadership were prepared for this crisis. PAP was caught grossly unprepared despite all the repeated propaganda justifying that we were getting the best leadership. It lacks decisiveness even when compared to Malaysia (which was caught in the midst of party politics squabbles). PAP has been negligent in the ways dorms were managed, which are now the epicentres of local transmission. I feel seriously shortchanged.

From reasonably foreseeable needs like masks, to strict preventive measures in foreign worker dorms at the start of Covid-19, PAP has spectacularly scored a F9, not even a C6.

It makes one wonder why they are so highly paid in the first place, when countries like Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea, which do not practise such gross "mercenary rewarding" of politicians, are better prepared, for preventive and contingent situations.

Singaporeans need to be thinking about their future, whether it is political leadership, cultural and religious bad habits, mass import of foreign labour with totally no clue or contingency in place in times of crisis, to basic hygiene and consideration for one another in public transport and public spaces. The lax framework of importing foreign PMET talent has to change, otherwise more and more of our local talents will end up as taxi or Grab drivers or food delivery jobs. They will be the most vulnerable in future coronavirus outbreaks.

It will take some time for the world to get a vaccine. We will find most likely find ourselves in this situation over and over, with repeated circuit breakers, that will eventually break some of us. I wish you the best, and do take care of your own health during this challenging period ahead.
A year and 2 months has passed since I started the above thread in the Serious Section.

A year and 2 months later, and looking back, we are still stuck in the same position.

Covid is still with us. In fact, it has become more transmissible with its new variants.

All this makes me wonder where do we go from here.

The UK medical chief says 5 years. 5 years is going to be a long time.

What will Singapore and Singaporeans look like after 5 years?

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many will lose their jobs soon, as keep importing ceca in but they never think are they enough jobs? PAPifs don care aa long as there is growth ,their is there

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many will lose their jobs soon, as keep importing ceca in but they never think are they enough jobs? PAPifs don care aa long as there is growth ,their is there

Growth of rent seeking economy is more important as 25% of vacant property is already a threat to the property investment industry...

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
A load of rubbish. Texas, Florida, Las Vegas etc have all gone back to normal. Of course Covid might continue to kill but so do hundreds of other diseases.

and that is because the mrna vaccines work and 65% of all americans have had at least 1 jab

all you are saying is what I have said all along

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
so what you are saying is the vaccines. work :tongue::tongue::tongue:

we got it.

get vaccinated then be like Americans, reopen. :biggrin:

Europe is reopening. Planes in the United States are full again. Stadiums, restaurants, bars full. In many cases, there is a feeling there of what Pandemic? Old news.

Now the focus is Supply Chain. It cant cope with the sudden demand, shortage of workers, materials, its a big issue now. Cant get stocks of many items.

So the vaccine was too successful you can argue.

Talking about a post Pandemic world

ikanbilis

Alfrescian
Loyal

How Worried Should We Be About the Delta Variant?

Delta may be the most concerning variant right now, but none are yet considered "variants of high consequence."​

The virus that causes COVID-19 has been a successful one from an evolutionary perspective, getting to see the world and expanding its little family tree. (Its been successful from its point of view; not so much from ours.) This means that variants of the virus have popped up in several different locations, and some are “variants of concern” that are more transmissible or potentially could be more harmful. Let’s do a rundown of the ones you should know about.

When we last wrote about the variants, they had hard-to-remember code names, and scientists often talked about the codes for the mutations they contained, which made for a lot of confusion as we tried to keep straight which was which. As a result, people often used geographical nicknames (eg, “the South Africa variant,”) which is problematic on many levels—not least because viruses travel, so any place name will be quickly out-of-date.

COVID variants of concern​

The variants have now been renamed after Greek letters, to make them easier to talk about and keep track of. The first four are considered “variants of concern,” which means they may be more transmissible, more virulent, or that they may be better at evading public health measures than the other versions of the virus. There are those four:

Alpha​

The “Alpha” variant, B.1.1.7, was first detected in the U.K. in September 2020. It was among the first variants to make headlines, and it’s estimated to be 50% more transmissible than previous versions of the virus. It is currently the dominant strain in the US. Fortunately, people who are vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna or who previously had another strain of COVID seem to be able to fight it off just fine. Tests with other vaccines have not yet been published, but the data we have is reassuring. For example, the study on the Pfizer vaccine found that it was 90% effective against this variant.

Beta​

The “Beta” variant, B.1.351, was first detected in South Africa in May 2020. It was associated with higher levels of hospitalization and death than original COVID. The Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy against Beta is just 75%, but that jumps up to 97.4% when you’re looking at severe or fatal cases, so the vaccine is still very helpful.

Gamma​

The “Gamma” variant, P.1, was first detected in Brazil in November 2020. Gamma is more transmissible than original COVID, but less so than Alpha. Previous infection with COVID may provide less protection from Gamma than from other strains. Fortunately, it’s not spreading as fast as other variants. Studies in areas with both Alpha and Gamma found that Alpha tended to become more prevalent over time, while Gamma did not.

Delta​

The “Delta” variant, B.1.617.2, was first detected in India in October 2020. In April of this year it was considered a variant of interest—more on that category below—and was upgraded to a variant of concern in May. This is the variant currently seen as the most concerning.

Delta is more transmissible than the other variants (even compared to Alpha), and it may be more likely to cause severe illness. The Pfizer vaccine seems to be slightly less effective against Delta than Alpha, but it’s still strongly protective once you’ve gotten both doses.

Variants of Interest​

Variants of interest aren’t as big a deal as variants of concern—yet. They have mutations that are “established or suspected” to cause the virus to behave differently, and to be recognized, they also have to be spreading in the community or otherwise be judged to be of interest to scientists (so an isolated virus in the lab or in a handful of isolated cases may not qualify). These include:

• The “Epsilon” variants, B.1.427 and B.1.429, first seen in the United States in March 2020
  • The “Zeta” variant, P.2, first seen in Brazil in April 2020
  • The “Eta” variant, B.1.525, first seen in multiple countries in December 2020
  • The “Theta” variant, P.3, first seen in the Philippines in January 2021
  • The “Iota” variant, B.1.526, first seen in the United States in November 2020
  • The “Kappa” variant, B.1.617.1, first seen in India in October 2020
  • The “Lambda” variant, B.1.617.1, first seen in Peru in August 2020

How much should I worry?​

So far, none of the variants are drastically different from original COVID; our vaccines and public health measures seem to work well against the variants, even if some may be slightly less effective. These aren’t game changers, just reasons to be a little extra cautious. Scientists are paying close attention to how these variants spread and how well protected we are against them.

For now, it’s still best to get vaccinated if you can, and wear masks and observe other public health measures if you aren’t vaccinated. You may also choose to continue wearing masks if you’re vaccinated, if you’re feeling especially cautious, but the risk of getting sick from a variant is still probably very low.

Besides the variants of interest and variants of concern, there is another category, according to the CDC: “variants of high consequence.”This would be used for any variants that can dodge diagnostic tests, significantly reduce vaccine effectiveness, or result in much more serious disease. So far, none of the COVID variants qualify.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. how the virus hold against us is how we react to it. Those who watches mainstream news and media a lot allow themselves to be told and programmed on how to react a virus. That is how they want you to react to a virus.

Those who dun watch tv will not be programmed this way and use their natural intelligence to discren. which means dun give a flying fuck on the virus and vaccine.

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/...elta_covid-19_variant_after_two_doses_1371713

Pfizer/BioNTech, AZ vaccines effective against Delta COVID-19 variant after two doses​

Pfizer/BioNTech and AZ vaccines found to be 96% and 92% effective against variant, respectively​

Coronavirus_vaccine.jpg

New real-world study data from Public Health England (PHE) has demonstrated that two doses of either Pfizer/BioNTech or AstraZeneca’s (AZ) COVID-19 vaccines are ‘highly’ effective against the Delta variant (previously known as the Indian variant).

The study included 14,019 individuals in England who had tested positive for the Delta variant, of which 166 were hospitalised between 12 April and 4 June.

According to the data, the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was 96% effective against hospitalisation or death caused by the Delta variant following two doses.

The AZ vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalisation or death from the Delta variant after two doses.

The data also showed that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was 94% effective at preventing hospitalisation, while AZ’s jab was 71% effective after the first dose.

The AZ vaccine was also less effective against symptomatic disease caused by the Alpha variant (previously known as the Kent or UK variant) and the Delta variant, with protection levels of 74% and 64%, respectively.

However, the UK’s Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said the results are still “extremely encouraging”, adding that the vaccines “are continuing to help break the link between hospitalisation and the Delta variant after one dose, and particularly the high effectiveness of two doses”.

“This real-world evidence shows that AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine provides a high level of protection against the Delta variant, which is currently a critical area of concern given its rapid transmission,” said Mene Pangalos, executive vice president, BioPharmaceuticals R&D at AZ.

“The data shows that the vaccine will continue to have a significant impact around the world given that it continues to account for the overwhelming majority of supplies to India and the COVAX facility,” he added.

Rising COVID-19 cases, driven primarily by the Delta variant – which is more transmissible than the Alpha variant – recently led to a delay in easing lockdown restrictions in England.

Social distancing restrictions had been due to be lifted on 21 June, and this date has now been pushed back to 19 July.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that two-thirds of adults will have been offered two COVID-19 vaccine doses by this date, with the target of offering all adults a first dose being brought forward to 19 July.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pfizer/BioNTech, AZ vaccines effective against Delta COVID-19 variant after two doses​

Pfizer/BioNTech and AZ vaccines found to be 96% and 92% effective against variant, respectively​

1624416006533.png

1624416019521.png

1624416032693.png

yeah, effective in killing you. Anyone send their child to be executed? Just tell them to line up at the vaccination center. I think this is a good time to do funeral business. The funeral business is roaring.

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
And you people thought I was overreacting when I said the above poster was a serious threat to our existence.

See?