• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Confession of a PAP supporter

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am Voting for PAP.
Posted on May 6, 2011 | 8 Comments
http://thehappinessobsession.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/i-am-voting-for-pap/

img_4248.jpg

Yes, after doing much research – watching rallies, reading up on manifestos, reading up on news, countless online posts – I have come to this conclusion. And I say it with conviction.

I am voting for PAP on May 7th.

To me, the general elections have been depressing. Why am I upset? I am upset due to the negativity and the blatant lack of thinking behind various comments that I have read online. And it is not just restricted to online. I hear people making careless comments like, “I am going to vote the opposition just because they are the opposition” and “After all the incumbent party is going to win, so I am going to vote for the opposition” All these comments scare me.

And I am disappointed as most of them are in the same generation as me. I worry for Singapore’s political stability in the future. My future also lies in their hands voting slips.

There is indeed a climate of fear that keeps some of us voting for PAP. No, it is not because we are scared that the PAP would track us down if we vote for the opposition. Instead, we are scared that PAP would fall out of favor and be replaced by the opposition with their populist harebrained schemes. (Please go and read the opposition manifestos before disagreeing with this point. I am willing to go into details if you drop me a comment.) One example would be Workers’ Party’s policy of wanting to reduce the voting age to 18. Seriously, I see no reason for such a policy. The only reason why WP would want such a move is because they believe that the youths would vote for them. There are many many other nonsensical harebrained schemes from all the opposition party. With such nonsensical ideals, our economic stability would be compromised.

I understand that PAP is not perfect. There were a few mistakes they made. However, they executed a lot of brilliant ideas too. There is no perfect system in the world. Just take this simple analogy. Imagine you are a teacher – you have 40 students in class. You have a few brilliant students, you have a few poor students and you have a few mischievous students that are bent on disrupting the class. But majority of them? They are just the average students.

Yes, you may start out being all idealistic and believing that you can take good care of all 40 students. But can you delay the class all the time to deal with the mischievous and poor students? No, you can’t. You have to go at a pace suitable for the majority of the students, you have to complete teaching the syllabus. You can’t care for the minority at the expense of the few.

What can you do? Yes, you can spend extra time to conduct remedial lessons for the poorer students. But the remedial lessons would only help if they are genuinely willing to learn. Yes, you can spend extra time after school trying to discipline the mischievous students. But disciplining them would only work if they realize their folly. If they don’t, they would only dislike you more. They are also greatly influenced by their unsavory friends outside school. Then, on the other hand, you have a group of brilliant students who are well-behaved and interested in learning. You are proud of them. They get good grades. Majority of the students also benefit from your lessons as their grades are improving. You believe that you have a great lesson plan but you can’t seem to engage some of the mischievous and poorer students. Why?

Yes, some people fall through the cracks. In a system, you can’t help everyone. The above teacher-class analogy may not be the best analogy to describe the government-people relationship but I hope you get my gist.

Yes, I understand that there are people that need the government help, but you can’t expect the government to help everyone of them. They need to help themselves too. If the government was to help all of them, it would be done at the expense of the rest of us, the average majority. This is also why PAP is so focused on economic growth. (It scares me that Nicole Seah even said that economic growth should not be a priority in her rally.) By improving economic growth, there would be more jobs created and there will be less unemployment. Hopefully, the poor would be able to find some form of employment and pick themselves up. With economic growth, more taxes can be collected and channeled into helping the poor. Of course, some revenue should also be saved and placed in the reserves for rainy days.

What PAP has been doing all these years have been on the right track. And yes, we need foreigners in Singapore. Countries all around the world are now actively wooing foreign talents. We had a head start. It would be silly to give up the head start now. Singapore is also at the mercy of the MNCs – they are the ones who want the foreign talents to work in Singapore. If we do not accede to their requests, they wouldn’t bother setting up a company in Singapore. After all, why should they set up their company in Singapore when there are cheaper alternatives in the region?

I wouldn’t elaborate on the countless steps that PAP did right. If I did, it would be a never-ending essay that nobody would want to read.

Lets move on to the opposition. Even my favorite opposition, Workers Party has started to disappoint me. On the HUDC residents issue with Low Thia Khiang, it is evident that Hougang Town Council had failed to address the issue well. If it only takes a couple of days for other town councils to hand over the details of the accounts,why is it taking Hougang such a long time? It is evident that the accounts are indeed ‘messy’. By saying it is messy, it is simply saying that the accounts are not in order – Low Thia Khiang himself said that he is still using the same system that he inherited from PAP in 1991. 1991? That was 20 years ago! He did not even bother to improve the accounting system? No wonder he is taking such a long time to hand over the details HUDC residents need. He should have improved it. Yes, my dear opposition supporters, your opposition leader is not perfect either. Everybody makes mistakes. Low Thia Khiang did not have to be so defensive in his speech – nobody is accusing him of fraud.

Also, there is an interesting letter to Straits Time, talking about Chen Show Mao’s commitment to Singapore which can be read here.

Seriously, some of the comments Worker Party had made makes me wonder whether the huge support they have garner have gone all over into their heads. Helping George Yeo retire? Saying that George Yeo needs a lesson in Mandarin? And they even started a website to ask George Yeo to run for president. ARGH!

George Yeo has been a great MP. I teared when I watched this video. Her fears about losing George Yeo as a MP and a Minister is real. I fear the worst too.

So yes, I am against the idea of voting in the opposition just for the sake of having an opposition in the Parliament. I am against voting for the opposition party because you think that the incumbent party will definitely win (How do you know for sure? Do you have a time machine?)

What if due to your recklessness, PAP do not get enough votes to form a government?

All the opposition parties, and I mean ALL of the opposition parties expect and want PAP to be still the incumbent party. Even they know that PAP is the best party out there.

I would never waste my vote on a second-rate party.

Why? Because I love Singapore and I want Singapore to be ruled by the best party.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's good to see a young Singaporean who actually talks sense.

Seriously?! Are you just agreeing because you see too many anti-PAP posts around, and wish to bring balance to the Force?

Or, are you being satirical?

Or, do you truly believe the deluded hogwash written above?

Or, are you just an ethereal online persona that really can be anything and everything at the same time who lives in the suburb of Toa Payoh, in New Zealand?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Seriously?! Are you just agreeing because you see too many anti-PAP posts around, and wish to bring balance to the Force?

Most of the points she makes are spot on and mirror what I've been saying all along... that policies cannot be formulated just to take care of the losers of society.

Her "class of 40" analogy pretty much sums up the situation. The weakest have to learn to strengthen their resolve so they can help themselves. It is not the government's job to spoonfeed them and provide them with freebies.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her "class of 40" analogy pretty much sums up the situation. The weakest have to learn to strengthen their resolve so they can help themselves. It is not the government's job to spoonfeed them and provide them with freebies.

That's a strange analogy to put forth, when the mantra is "Leave NO ONE behind". What happened to the inclusive society that they are advocating, if they start following this "class of 40" rule?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That's a strange analogy to put forth, when the mantra is "Leave NO ONE behind". What happened to the inclusive society that they are advocating, if they start following this "class of 40" rule?

The poor aren't abandoned. There are numerous schemes available to help the get back on their feet with generous subsidies provided for essential services.

The figures were given here just a couple of weeks ago.

According to Mr Tharman, a low-income household can expect to receive $3.97 to $5.10 in benefits for every tax dollar paid.
Based on the illustration, the two-room low-income household can expect to receive up to $535,000 in real terms, through cash, subsidies, permanent transfers, CPF top-ups, housing grants and the like.

It is paid out through a range of transfers which include the Baby Bonus, ComCare aid for the needy, Workfare Income Supplement, housing grants, Medifund subsidies and education bursaries.

This is in contrast with the $113,000 in taxes, such as GST and water conservation tax, they can expect to pay over a lifetime based on today's prices, retirement age and life expectancy.

As you can see, the lower strata are get plenty of taxpayer funded assistance. However, they can't expect a free ride to wealth and riches either. They have to play their part too.

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
The poor aren't abandoned. There are numerous schemes available to help the get back on their feet with generous subsidies provided for essential services.

The figures were given here just a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see, the lower strata are get plenty of taxpayer funded assistance. However, they can't expect a free ride to wealth and riches either. They have to play their part too.

Of course the poor aren't abandoned. That would be truly stupid. Revolutions are not started by the very destitute. They just want to have their bread. They are usually started by the people who are sufficiently prosperous yet who feel that their views are not represented.

In the local context, the PAP has nothing to worry about the very destitute. They should instead worry about the generations which are now entering society to work, trying to marry their significant other to set up their own home and realize they are no longer having the good deal that their parents enjoy.

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is not the government's job to spoonfeed them and provide them with freebies.

The poor in Singapore may have lost everything but there is one little valuable thing left ....Dignity
They don't need to be spoon-fed. What they merely asked are for more comfortable, affordable and manageable lifestyle.
They are complaining and ranting because of non transparency and high handed approach by MIW....whatever they think is right.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The poor in Singapore may have lost everything but there is one little valuable thing left ....Dignity
They don't need to be spoon-fed. What they merely asked are for more comfortable, affordable and manageable lifestyle.
They are complaining and ranting because of non transparency and high handed approach by MIW....whatever they think is right.

They do live comfortable, they don't starve either. they have dignity.
What do want the govt to do specifically?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's good to see a young Singaporean who actually talks sense.

Nah, she was just acting like someone with a mole and ask you to get out of her uncaring elitist face. Wait till she grew up and ended up jobless with no choice but to sell her cunt to 44 men or worse foreigners who can use her till she cry foul. This kind of girl, obviously lack of brain, probably read too much Shit Times or con by her school to adore the God in oxley:eek:

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Nah, she was just acting like someone with a mole and ask you to get out of her uncaring elitist face. Wait till she grew up and ended up jobless with no choice but to sell her cunt to 44 men or worse foreigners who can use her till she cry foul. This kind of girl, obviously lack of brain, probably read too much Shit Times or con by her school to adore the God in oxley:eek:

On the contrary she shows maturity beyond her tender years. As long as there are like minded people amongst her generation, Singapore has a hope of surviving in the long term.

On the other hand, leftie liberals have destroyed many Western nations. They must not be allowed to gain a foothold in Singapore. Pandering the whims of the electorate for short term gain is what has bankrupted countries such as Greece. Once Singapore is in the red, it has nothing left to stand on.

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Or, are you being satirical?

Or, do you truly believe the deluded hogwash written above?

Or, are you just an ethereal online persona that really can be anything and everything at the same time who lives in the suburb of Toa Payoh, in New Zealand?

aiyah, you misunderstood Leongsam liao lor.

he's definitely anti-PAP and he's trying to stoke anti-PAP sentiments !

otherwise, why got this website in 1st place ?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary she shows maturity beyond her tender years. As long as there are like minded people amongst her generation, Singapore has a hope of surviving in the long term.

In court, she is considered legally young and immatured without a mind of her own and easily subjected to influence (money or otherwise). Thus she needs to be protected.

On the other hand, leftie liberals have destroyed many Western nations.

Without the support of these western countries, Singapore is still a slump today. All thanks to them for being so liberal and supportive unlike the closed door authoritarian country china used to be, north korea and burma.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with the commonly held belief that the welfare states of western liberal countries are a disincentive to work but considering how productive and efficient the Europeans are, I think they have every right to take a breather every now and then.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
With more youngsters having such insight and reasoning power, sinkieland really got hope:(:biggrin:

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the points she makes are spot on and mirror what I've been saying all along... that policies cannot be formulated just to take care of the losers of society.

Not all of the 40% are poor, you twit.
Not all of the 60% voting for the PAP are rich and intelligent. Many of them are poor and uneducated; and they voted for PAP out of fear.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyah, you misunderstood Leongsam liao lor.

he's definitely anti-PAP and he's trying to stoke anti-PAP sentiments !

otherwise, why got this website in 1st place ?

errr............. I don't think so. My psychologist friend says there's something not quite right with him in the upstairs dept judging by his post. I asked if by that he meant if Leongsam is schizo but he said it's not case. He said for someone who's not an idiot but trying so hard to be an idiot with his posts, must be something wrong.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
errr............. I don't think so. My psychologist friend says there's something not quite right with him in the upstairs dept judging by his post. I asked if by that he meant if Leongsam is schizo but he said it's not case. He said for someone who's not an idiot but trying so hard to be an idiot with his posts, must be something wrong.

Ask your "psychologist" friend to fuck off and stop embarrassing the profession of psychology. Making psychological assessments based on the random rants of an internet persona? :rolleyes:

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask your "psychologist" friend to fuck off and stop embarrassing the profession of psychology. Making psychological assessments based on the random rants of an internet persona? :rolleyes:

Hi bro, relax lah. Don't read everything so literally. Many of the postings in this forum are satrical. Please don't take offense.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wait till this cunt enters the workforce... She won't be singing the same tune of praising the PAP again when her job kena taken over by an FT imported by her beloved PAP...:biggrin: