• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Christmas Presents... What is this practice all about??

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, I declare that I am not a Christian.

Second, I am wondering what the fuss is all about giving presents on Christmas? I see my junior colleagues in office, discussing and suggesting what is good for Christmas presents when they are not even Christians.

I would understand if they are Christians and indulge in this religious practice - http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/presents.shtml

Isn't all these gifting a new form of "western colonialism"? Just like Valentine's Day and Halloween :confused:

What do you think?

tictactoe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Second, I am wondering what the fuss is all about giving presents on Christmas? I see my junior colleagues in office, discussing and suggesting what is good for Christmas presents when they are not even Christians.

I would understand if they are Christians and indulge in this religious practice - http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/presents.shtml

Isn't all these gifting a new form of "western colonialism"? Just like Valentine's Day and Halloween :confused:

What do you think?

I think this :oIo::oIo::kma::kma:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you hate it so much why didnt you support Amos Yee?

Why should I support anyone? Did I say I hate Christmas or Christians? They have their beliefs and I have mine. I respect theirs and they respect mine.

What I am not in favour for - is the idea of "gifting" - for those who are non-Christians who have been misled about this practice by the media and coerced by such new age norms into practising it.

tictactoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should I support anyone? Did I say I hate Christmas or Christians? They have their beliefs and I have mine. I respect theirs and they respect mine.

What I am not in favour for - is the idea of "gifting" - for those who are non-Christians who have been misled about this practice by the media and coerced by such new age norms into practising it.

Typical Tracy Tan type posts and answers.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What do you think?
Did u asked your junior colleague wtfuss about ?
I think.most pple like me r forced to buy. Eg manager say gift exchange I have to comply. My girl say I want this I have to buy.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did u asked your junior colleague wtfuss about ?
I think.most pple like me r forced to buy. Eg manager say gift exchange I have to comply. My girl say I want this I have to buy.

I didn't. I just refused to participate in such topics.

Why should you be "forced" to buy? You can stand up on your feet to your manager and tell him or her to Fxxk off. As for your girl, it's your personal choice. :smile:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't. I just refused to participate in such topics.

Why should you be "forced" to buy? You can stand up on your feet to your manager and tell him or her to Fxxk off. As for your girl, it's your personal choice. :smile:

They will use their "power" to enforce. Low level staff like me does not have a choice unless I want to quit I will surely tell them to jia sai.

Also if u refused to participate I guess u should be always going lunch alone type. I respect u for that and I wish I can be a loner too if possible.
Best is I can go lunch with u .:biggrin:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will use their "power" to enforce. Low level staff like me does not have a choice unless I want to quit I will surely tell them to jia sai.

Also if u refused to participate I guess u should be always going lunch alone type. I respect u for that and I wish I can be a loner too if possible.

Dating me? ... in that case, please buy me a new pair of Tory Burch shoes... hehe, just kidding :smile: Sorry I am not that sort of woman, I can afford my own stuff :smile:

On a serious note, you can sue your employer for constructive dismissal for instituing or passively allowing such practices in the workplace. Stand up for your rights.

takashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not always! :wink:
For some companies in certain industries, where the turnover rate is high for low-level staff, those companies would rather keep their low-level staff than employ new ones and go through the TROUBLE to TRAIN them again.

So it's not really compulsory to do all those extra "work", as long as you've done a satisfactory job for your normal duties.
You'll simply remain as a low-level staff for a much longer time, but you won't get sacked; in fact, if you try to resign, some companies might even "beg" you to stay and offer slightly higher wages, even though you're only a low-level employee! haha

This is simply because these companies were BLUFFING when they tried to "threaten" you in the first place! haha
They were just TESTING your LOYALTY to the company! :wink:
The truth is that employers NEED employees, just as much as employees also need employers to provide them with the opportunity to earn a living, so these employers would almost NEVER sack any employee for such a STUPID reason. :wink:

Even though you suspect Claire is AhMeng's clone? :p
After hundreds of pages so is claire a male or female :rolleyes:

I suspect he is ah meng :eek:
I am a Mangina. I ownzzz up... what the fug u ranjiao non mangina doing here :oIo::biggrin:

Claire claire... i m here .. where art thou? Why u make uncle me wait so rong...? :biggrin:
hoi lao gao where have u been. E69 showed me u making out with chloe the orang utan in a park.
I even suspected claire is you.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spot on. Western neo-colonialism + commercialization of religious festivals. Even Christians are not spared the pressure to "shop & gift".

That's why I refuse to celebrate Christmas, Valentine's and Halloween. (No beef with Christians and how they want to celebrate their religion; it's non-Christians slavishly following Western customs without understanding their religious background that get my goat.)

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not always! :wink:
For some companies in certain industries, where the turnover rate is high for low-level staff, those companies would rather keep their low-level staff than employ new ones and go through the TROUBLE to TRAIN them again.

So it's not really compulsory to do all those extra "work", as long as you've done a satisfactory job for your normal duties.
You'll simply remain as a low-level staff for a much longer time, but you won't get sacked; in fact, if you try to resign, some companies might even "beg" you to stay and offer slightly higher wages, even though you're only a low-level employee! haha

This is simply because these companies were BLUFFING when they tried to "threaten" you in the first place! haha
They were just TESTING your LOYALTY to the company! :wink:
The truth is that employers NEED employees, just as much as employees also need employers to provide them with the opportunity to earn a living, so these employers would almost NEVER sack any employee for such a STUPID reason. :wink:

Even though you suspect Claire is AhMeng's clone? :p

I totally agree with it when reference to a sme or local business whereby low scale staff covers mountain n sea
tasks.
For mnc, especially if yr reporting.mgr is a ft, u r mostly.under threats for even.non work related matters.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
where i am, "gifting" during the winter holidays is usually for the kids.....neighbors' kids, friends' kids, relatives' kids. among adult friends, we have stopped the practice of gift exchanges and raffle gifting a long time ago, after we realize most of the gifts are cheap, useless, recycled garbage from china. and they clutter the home. we vow to stop the practice but instead get together for home-cooked meals and open vintage bottles of wine that we have patiently stowed away for years if not over a decade for moments and seasons like these. we continue to bring our best wines and food. for kids, they are constantly bombarded by tv, radio, and social media on the onset of christmas and other winter holidays (kwanza, hannukah, etc.) and their minds are influenced to expect gifts from parents, grannies and other adults. plus the atmosphere, music and decors in retail settings. they start earlier every year. a long time ago it was right after thanksgiving. last year it was right after halloween, and this year, online sites are spamming early with gift ideas before halloween. we have a full 2 months before christmas and online media is already pushing the envelope. retail stores require time for physical change to stock and decor, but warehouse stores like costco and costplus are already stocked full of christmas doodads. just over 2 weeks ago the same warehouse stores are filled to the brim with halloween costumes......for kids and adults. it's an escalation of american marketing and consumerism that has lost track of time. very soon, christmas will be celebrated past new year's into spring. that's exactly what my neighbor has perfected. his outdoor christmas decor is still up.....from last year. :wink:

by the way, the best and most cherished gift i ever give to a friend's grand daughter is a stuffed piggy. it's so cute, durable and high quality that it stayed with her in her arms all her childhood years from toddler through pre-pubescent. it's like a personal pet until the real pet comes along. those gifts transcend seasons and holidays.

Last edited:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on. Western neo-colonialism + commercialization of religious festivals. Even Christians are not spared the pressure to "shop & gift".

That's why I refuse to celebrate Christmas, Valentine's and Halloween. (No beef with Christians and how they want to celebrate their religion; it's non-Christians slavishly following Western customs without understanding their religious background that get my goat.)

Yes, you are right. I agree. This is a dilution of our own culture and customs, be it Chinese, Indians or Malays.