• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Choosing a fax machine

presssomemore

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, if you're dealing with US, I can almost guarantee you they can accept electronic copy either by email or website upload.

If you really want fax machine, I would suggest taking mei mei's advise buy a All-In-One for long term investment. You can scan your credit card (or whatever) once, store it in your computer, and whenever you need to fax just send it strait from your computer to the AIO to fax out. Also you might be better off buying a laser type instead of inkjet because laser toner will not dry out if not use for long time.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to understand that fax is easier especially when you need to send them copies of product literature. Not everyone has that info in a pdf file. Even if they did most customers wouldn't know how to open a pdf file:o

Well, I'll use whichever works. Personally, I feel it is best to deliver brochures in person and meet the guy and get to know him/her who will eventually make the decision. Just that things work faster with modern computer tech. A few of my principals actually have stopped giving out copies of brochures or tech specs, if you want them, go to their website and download.

Cheers!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...my principals actually have stopped giving out copies of brochures or tech specs, if you want them, go to their website and download.
Ah so neh, many global setups stopped dishing out hard (paper) version brochures. Print shops lose out. And you do get quality printouts with all the gizmos in the office (specific targets).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The trend is the 4-in-1 combo printer, scanner, photocopier and fax. It is also inexpensive. I would recommend the 4-in-1 combo.

With regards to the US bank, if you are dealing with a specific person, you can ask him if you can email him a scanned document with your signature instead of faxing. I see no reason why he would say 'no' to that..

Funny thing about my US broker is that they are not setup to receive emailed softcopies. As a work around I sent the softcopy of my scanned document to their HK office. The HK office will forward the document to HQ in the US.

I just bought a new laser printer/scanner/fax for $300. It's cheaper than what I spent to get my old Canon fax machine:eek: It's amazing just how cheap these combo units are. I remember spending about $2,500 on my first monochrome laser writer.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First, if you're dealing with US, I can almost guarantee you they can accept electronic copy either by email or website upload.

If you really want fax machine, I would suggest taking mei mei's advise buy a All-In-One for long term investment. You can scan your credit card (or whatever) once, store it in your computer, and whenever you need to fax just send it strait from your computer to the AIO to fax out. Also you might be better off buying a laser type instead of inkjet because laser toner will not dry out if not use for long time.

I've had enough bad experiences with inkjet printers. The Canon fax machine used an inkjet printer. The cost of those ink cartridges do add up. That's why I just bought myself a new combo with a laserwriter/scanner/fax for $300 It was hard trying to decide between HP, brother & Fuji Xerox.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ProbabLy Brother is one of the better fax machines i have worked with..:wink:

Seen their fax machines going for about $150. Decided to spend a bit more($300) to get a combo unit.

They have special going on. Although I paid $3oo, I got $80 worth of NTUC vouchers & some lucky draw tickets:smile:

Phantom

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have Windows 7, just plug in your phone line to fax.

Otherwise, Pamfax is free for the first 3 copies and about 15 cents after. There's no monthly charge, no ads, and it supports Dropbox and Google Drive. Just requires an email, that's all.

There is also faxzero. It allows for up to 5 free faxes a day however it places ads on yr cover sheets.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cost of the hardware might be cheap(er) but the learning curve is steeper. I don't normally read the manuals but in the case of these combo units you do have to read manual:(

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do people still fax these days? I thought people now scan the document and email the document to the person.

My sentiments exactly. I thought old fax machine using thermal paper already gone the way of dinosaurs. Now any average copier has fax functions for anyone who still needs it.