• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiobu Korean Cellist Hee Young Lim

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Hee-Young Lim: An unexpected journey of a cellist
By Li Wenrui | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-01-17 09:07

5c3fdea4a3106c65fff5cb88.jpeg

Hee-Young Lim, a Korean cellist, launched her first CD French Cello Concertos last November. Now she is tapping into the classical music world in China.

"Playing the cello feels like meditation, it becomes sort of a mirror and helps you see within yourself. And since I have no siblings and used to spend a lot of time alone reading books, my parents felt this was all good because it was almost as though I had a constant companion in the cello!"

Hee-Young Lim recalled the beginning of her musical journey. The Seoul-born musician entered the Korean National University at age 15 – the youngest student ever to be accepted. Major competition wins followed and her career was set.

To date, she is the first female Asian cellist appointed as the Principal Solo Cellist of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, one of the major orchestras in Europe and the first cello professor at the Central Conservatory of Music based in Beijing.

She is proud of her achievements, but also notes, "My mum never knew about music so she let me find my own way, and I was self-motivated. That stood me in good stead as my career opened up, when I went to study in the US and in France and Germany. I had to be tough and self-aware and focused, and that all had to come from within me."

5c3fdea4a3106c65fff5cb8a.jpeg

Instead of performing the most famous concertos by big names like Dvorak, Elgar and Schumann, she decided to make her first recording personal and authentic. "I wanted the repertoire to be something I felt very close to and that meant a lot to me, and maybe also some things that hadn't been recorded as often," she said.

To achieve this, she turned to France. Or turned back, one should say, since she had lived in France for many years, studying there with the much-admired teacher Philippe Muller (whom she had met in Seoul, aged 12).

"I've always felt very close to French culture and French music, and even to the French language. And those things are all related. The Saint-Saëns was the first concerto I ever learnt, when I was 11! And as you grow up you look back at the first things you learn as 'easy' and move on to big pieces like the Shostakovich and Prokofiev concertos, but never Saint-Saëns or Lalo."

"It was only when I started practicing them again that I realized how much is in these great works - it's not about how difficult they are to play, it's about finding that sense of the French spirit, of French culture and history and language, in the notes."

Talking to Lim about the works themselves, it becomes eminently clear that she found the interpretive freedom to fuse her imagination with the composers'.

Last edited:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Another Chiobu Korean Cellist is JIyoung Lee

Korean cellist Jiyoung Lee is known for her passionate interpretations, musical depth and sensitive performances. As a soloist, her performance credits include such orchestras as Korea’s Seoul Symphony Orchestra, New York’s Hudson Valley Philharmonic, New Jersey’s Bergen Philharmonic, Juilliard School Orchestra, and Seoul National University Orchestra.

Highlights of this season include her solo recital in Boston at Burnes Hall at New England Conservatory presented by Foundation of Chinese Performing Arts’ Annual Summer Concert Series, her performance of Robert Cogan’s “A-Ka-Ho for Solo Cello and Speech-song” in Jordan Hall as part of NEC’s faculty concert, her collaborations with Borromeo Quartet as Guest Artist Award Winner, and with Wellesley Chamber Players.

Her past solo performances include Lincoln Center’s Wednesday at One series in Alice Tully Hall, two solo recitals at New York City’s Harvard Club, Korea Society, a premiere of Yoomi Pack’s Double Concerto for Viola and Cello with String Orchestra with New York Classical Players, Elgar Cello Concertowith Hudson Valley Philharmonic, Schumann Cello Concerto with the Juilliard Orchestra and two performances with Bergen Philharmonic (NJ), performing Haydn Cello Concerto No.1 and Dvorak Cello Concerto.

As a passionate chamber musician, she appeared at La Jolla Music Society’s SummerFest, Music at Menlo, Caramoor’s Evning Rising Star Series, Lincoln Center’s Wednesday at One series, Ravinia’s Steans Institute of Music, Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival, Perlman Music Program, Curtis on Tour Series, Sarasota Music Festival, Music from Angel Fire, Verbier Festival Academy in Switzerland, Seiji Ozawa Academy in Switzerland, and the Great Mountain International Festival, Korea. Her collaboration in those chamber music concerts include great artists like Shmuel Ashkenasi, Roberto Diaz, Pamela Frank, Kim Kashkashian, P Kim, and Peter Wiley.

Moving into dance and theater realms, cellist Lee worked with choreographer, Nathan Madden at the Brooklyn Dumbo Dance Festival, performed at New York City’s Fall for Dance with the Orion String Quartet, and participated in theatrical productions with the Ensemble for the Romantic Century at BAM Fisher, which was featured at New York Times, and at the American Institute for Economic Research.

Born in Seoul, Korea, Jiyoung Lee studied piano before turning to the cello. At 16 she made her professional debut as soloist with one of Korea’s major orchestras, the Seoul Symphony Orchestra. Following studies at the Seoul National University, Ms. Lee moved to the United States in 2007 to study at The Curtis Institute of Music with Peter Wiley. While at Curtis, Ms. Lee held the Joseph Druian Fellowship, and was principal cellist of Curtis Symphony Orchestra in her final year. She also attended The London Master Classes in Great Britain, studying with Ralph Kirshbaum at Royal Academy of Music and worked with David Geringas in Interlaken, Switzerland in 2013. While earning her Master’s Degree at The Juilliard School as a student of Timothy Eddy, she served as principal cellist of the Juilliard Orchestra. She also received the prestigious Artist Diploma at The Juilliard School studying with Joel Krosnick. Currently, Jiyoung is pursuing her doctoral degree in Musical Arts at the New England Conservatory with Laurence Lesser.

As of June 2019

7b2f5309_dbc1_49e1_8a39_2c36d583b3c2.jpg

201605572a589fcb2cb.jpg

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN something to ponder about musical instruments chiobu popularity KNN a chiobu violinist or a cellist etc will surely need other accompany musics or 2nd violinist in the background but the limelight is on that player KNN is it becos they are chio ? KNN

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
KNN something to ponder about musical instruments chiobu popularity KNN a chiobu violinist or a cellist etc will surely need other accompany musics in the background but the limelight is on that player KNN is it becos they are chio ? KNN
No leh..SSO no chiobu cellist. :biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
KNN that's where the problem lies lo chio one all extend out from the group and go solo for limelight KNN music is music chio is chio how can put this 2 together KNN
Chio cellist and violinist adds more flavour to the music and causes my imagination to run wild. Damn sexy...

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro meng seems like you have a fetish for female musician:biggrin:
Rumours saying gin can play flute chinese saying 吹箫 you like?:biggrin: