• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chen Show Mao Disqualified on Nomination Day? Rumour

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK it may be true given that 3in1 kopitiam forummers have mentioned it AND more importantly the Ah Hen mentioning in ST Forum that he has been out of the country for far too long.

But is it not correct that Spore resident overseas who have not stayed consecutively for 2 years in Spore are NOT eligible to vote.

You know I think come next GE in 2015 or 2016, MIW will ban all candidates who have not been in the country consecutively from standing in GE as a candidate.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years ago, in 1959, a young cambridge lawyer who returned to Singapore to fight the elections and won, had the same problem. Forum bros like Scroobal can correct me if I am wrong. It was a constitutional technicality in the British citizenship laws then that tripped up the budding first Singapore's PM. There was a clause that forbade British subject citizens who had been away for more than 2 (?) years from elections let alone taking office as the head of govt, albeit internal govt. The budding lawyer was away for more than 2 years because he was evidently studying in Britian for his law degree. Fortuitously or unfortuitously, the British Governor and Whitehall discussed over it, decided that since he was UK which counted for the time in the Empire, managed to lift that ban, and that budding lawyer was able to esconce himself into the woodwork for 52 years since.

If the same happens to Chen now, let's see if the PAP govt is as gracious enough as the British, esp in playing by the same rules that the British had left behind.

Last edited:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Opposition can also raised objections to the following:
Tharman -Previously convicted of OSA Why can stand as a PAP candidate ?
Puthu - Converted to Singapore citizen He did not do NS ? Why can stand as a PAP candidate ?
------
------
Why the double standards ????

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP dare not take such a risk to disqualify WP's star candidate. If PAP try to do so, Aljunied will 100% show support for WP. This is because WP will make a fuss together with the unity of people voices, Aljunied GRC residents WILL NOT cast their vote to the bully party.

This will also have repercussion effect and many GRC will start to fall into the hands of opposition.

Let us dare PAP to behave like stooges and bullying gang in the coming election. It gives netizens more things to write and wet market uncles more thing to say. Remember Seet Ai Mei saga?

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rumours, speculations, lies and twisted facts.

Have more confidence in the system and yes, time will tell (yet again)...

HourGlass.gif

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
So here is the problem if Chen Show Mao stands together with Sylvia Lim in Aljunied GRC, then if PAP is very chow kuan, then whole team will be disqualified from Aljunied GRC, so it becomes a WALKOVER! So where got chance to vote for Aljunied residents? Don't say never cos I will never underestimate the cruelty of the chow PAP.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP dare not take such a risk to disqualify WP's star candidate. If PAP try to do so, Aljunied will 100% show support for WP. This is because WP will make a fuss together with the unity of people voices, Aljunied GRC residents WILL NOT cast their vote to the bully party.

This will also have repercussion effect and many GRC will start to fall into the hands of opposition.

Let us dare PAP to behave like stooges and bullying gang in the coming election. It gives netizens more things to write and wet market uncles more thing to say. Remember Seet Ai Mei saga?

If Sinkies have guts like you are trying to depict

PAP will never win 82/84 seats

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have serious issues with a lot of pple in here seemingly lacking in the IQ department. Don't believe in stupid rumours. Go check them out yourself

For Parliamentary Election
A person is qualified to be a candidate for election as a Member of Parliament (MP) if he:
is a citizen of Singapore;
is 21 years old and above on Nomination Day;
is registered as an elector in the current registers of electors;
is resident in Singapore on Nomination Day and has been so for a total period not less than 10 years;
is not subject to any of the disqualifications specified in Article 45 of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore; and
possesses a sufficient degree of proficiency in spoken English, Malay, Mandarin or Tamil and, unless incapacitated by blindness or other physical cause, be able to read and write at least one of the said languages so that he can take an active part in the proceedings of Parliament.

http://www.elections.gov.sg/candidates_qualifications.html

The candidates needs to be PR or citizen for the last 10 yrs, nothing about having to live here for the last dunno how many years

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
So here is the problem if Chen Show Mao stands together with Sylvia Lim in Aljunied GRC, then if PAP is very chow kuan, then whole team will be disqualified from Aljunied GRC, so it becomes a WALKOVER! So where got chance to vote for Aljunied residents? Don't say never cos I will never underestimate the cruelty of the chow PAP.

If that were to happen, you can also expect a possible case of "winning the battle but losing the war" situation down the road. I doubt that the Proposition is that dumb, if at all.

istockphoto_9613557-stick-figure-coach-american-football-strategy.jpg

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Parliamentary Election
A person is qualified to be a candidate for election as a Member of Parliament (MP) if he:
:
:
is resident in Singapore on Nomination Day and has been so for a total period not less than 10 years;
:

My interpretation of "for a total period not less than 10 years" means that since CSM birth till now, as long as he resided in Singapore for at least 10 yrs, that would count :smile:. It does not state that it has to be the last 10 years.

I recall a candidate, JP from the Proposition who came to Singapore in 2001 (as stated in his CV), someone should verify to see if he came here after May 2001 or before. JP's CV: http://www.pap.org.sg/uploads/ap/7970/documents/janil_puthucheary_cv.pdf

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
James Gomez worked in Swissland or Sweden when he came back for the election last round. If James Gomez can, then so can Chan.

gerard126333

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK it may be true given that 3in1 kopitiam forummers have mentioned it AND more importantly the Ah Hen mentioning in ST Forum that he has been out of the country for far too long.

But is it not correct that Spore resident overseas who have not stayed consecutively for 2 years in Spore are NOT eligible to vote.

You know I think come next GE in 2015 or 2016, MIW will ban all candidates who have not been in the country consecutively from standing in GE as a candidate.

Might as well disqualify those who have not done NS....:rolleyes:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must be mad worrying for him. He's one of the top international lawyers and knows the definitions and parameters well. Even I know the difference between total of 10 years residency and 10 years consecutive residency.

Last edited:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSM is too high profile for the ruling party to pull a fast one. If they dare to try something funny, it may backfire and incur the wrath of the voters. Having fomidable opposition candidate alone is not good enough to win over voters. Other supporting reasons and push factors such as intolerable state of affairs that the people have been going through under the poor management of the ruling party is the other strong force.

Last edited: