• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheers and bottoms up, thanks for the findings

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alcohol sharpens the mind, research finds
10:12 AM Apr 12, 2012
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em'); </SCRIPT>
LONDON - Men who drink two pints of beer before tackling brain teasers perform better than those who attempt the riddles sober, scientists have found.

In findings that will be toasted by pub quiz aficionados, researchers found drinkers got more test questions right and were quicker in delivering the right answers.

It is thought alcohol hinders analytical thinking and allows "creative" thoughts that might otherwise by stifled to take root, allowing test subjects to come up with more imaginative solutions.

The Daily Telegraph reported that psychologists at the University of Illinois set 40 healthy young men a series of brain teasers. They involved being given three words, such as coin, quick and spoon, and coming up with a fourth word that links the three - in this case, silver.

Half the group drank the equivalent of two pints of beer before doing the tests, while the rest carried them out sober.

The drinking group solved nearly 40 per cent more problems than the others, and took an average of 12 seconds compared to the 15.5 seconds needed by sober subjects.

Writing in the journal of Consciousness and Cognition, they said: "The current research represents the first demonstration of alcohol's effecet on creative problem solving."

Author Jennifer Wiley said: "We tested what happens when people are slightly merry, not when people drink to extreme.

"The bottom line is that we think being too focused can blind you to novel possibilities, and a broader, more flexible state of attention is needed for creative solutions to emerge." AGENCIES

<!-- Related Photo, Media and Articles--><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var intheight=0; function imginit(intImg,arrImg) { var imgID = 'relatedPhoto'; var lnkID = 'imgPopup'; var captionID = 'divImageCaption'; var menuID = 'ctl00_cph1_ArticleContents1_RelatedPhoto1_photoPages'; var imgLeft ='
blackPiece.gif
'; var imgRight = '
blackPiece.gif
'; var imgHLeft = '
articleDetailDarkLeftArrow.gif
'; var imgHRight = '
articleDetailDarkRightArrow.gif
'; var leftHL = '' + imgHLeft + '
'; var rightHL = '' + imgHRight + '
'; var leftNHL = '' + imgLeft + '
'; var rightNHL = '' + imgRight + '
'; this.ShowImg = function(no) { var leftBtn=''; var rightBtn=''; $(imgID).src = arrImg[no][1]; $(lnkID).src = arrImg[no][3]; if (arrImg[no][2]=='') { $('divImageCaption').style.display = 'none'; $('popupCaption').style.display = 'none'; } else { $(captionID).innerHTML = arrImg[no][2]; $('popupCaption').innerHTML = arrImg[no][2]; $('divImageCaption').style.display = ''; $('popupCaption').style.display = '' } if (no > 0) { leftBtn = leftHL; } else { leftBtn = leftNHL; } if (no < intImg-1) { rightBtn = rightHL; } else { rightBtn = rightNHL; } this.currImg = no; $(menuID).innerHTML = rightBtn + ' Image ' + (no+1) + ' of ' + intImg + '
' + leftBtn; } this.goNext = function() { if (this.currImg < intImg) { this.currImg += 1; this.ShowImg(this.currImg); } } this.goPrev = function() { if (this.currImg > 0) { this.currImg -= 1; this.ShowImg(this.currImg); } } } function getScrollY() { var scrOfY = 0; if( typeof( window.pageYOffset ) == 'number' ) { //Netscape compliant scrOfY = window.pageYOffset; } else if( document.body && ( document.body.scrollTop ) ) { //DOM compliant scrOfY = document.body.scrollTop; } else if( document.documentElement && ( document.documentElement.scrollTop ) ) { //IE6 standards compliant mode scrOfY = document.documentElement.scrollTop; } intheight = scrOfY; return [ scrOfY ]; } function doShowImage() { $('popupImagePage').style.display = "block"; } function doClose() { $('popupImagePage').style.display = "none"; }</SCRIPT>

showimageCC.aspx

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whenever I am brainstorming, I like to have a bit of drink to loosen things up. The findings make absolute sense.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks Leepotism, I really need this confirmation so far I told this to my mrs but could not prove it now I could. Kumsia kumsia.

Got to ask my maid go get some Singha today.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
mebbe the scientists, psychologists and people who conducted the survey were engaged by hotbot and ah Ram .....fierce beer gulpers.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
mebbe the scientists, psychologists and people who conducted the survey were engaged by hotbot and ah Ram .....fierce beer gulpers.

How could anyone loves that smell....I cannot drink any beer, wine at all. Half a mug and my face looks like tomato and I will vomit like the merlion.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Leepotism, I really need this confirmation so far I told this to my mrs but could not prove it now I could. Kumsia kumsia.

Got to ask my maid go get some Singha today.

Yeap. I drink beer moderately everyday. It really sharpens my mind.:smile:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clone said:
Whenever I am brainstorming, I like to have a bit of drink to loosen things up. The findings make absolute sense.

When you are brainstorming, you brainstorm with yourself or you brainstorm with others? When you are doing it with yourself, you have to use both halves of your brain. Otherwise you will not make much sense.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cannot drink any beer, wine at all. Half a mug and my face looks like tomato and I will vomit like the merlion.

Try mixing Cranberry juice with Vodka.. Very nice to drink if you are not a beer lover..

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Try mixing Cranberry juice with Vodka.. Very nice to drink if you are not a beer lover..

Thanks brother. I will try. There are only 2 types of alcohol I find it ok.

1. Choya honey umea (but dunno why people laugh at me when I told them I drink this one. I think its for women.)

2. A type of red wine, very sweet one. Was it port?

Bascially, I cannot accept that smell in beer and in wine...dunno how to explain...the moment I drink it, I puke. Thats why I always envied people who knows how to appreciate wine.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you are brainstorming, you brainstorm with yourself or you brainstorm with others? When you are doing it with yourself, you have to use both halves of your brain. Otherwise you will not make much sense.

Hi Uncle Fook Seng,

Brainstorming is an activity which can be done in a group or individually.

When I'm brainstorming, I do not differentiate my thoughts into right-brained and left-brained so as not to interrupt the flow.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
you need centralised training....no meimeis for 4 weeks .....report to ah Ram this evening

How could anyone loves that smell....I cannot drink any beer, wine at all. Half a mug and my face looks like tomato and I will vomit like the merlion.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya bro...port is a sweet red.

2. A type of red wine, very sweet one. Was it port?

Bascially, I cannot accept that smell in beer and in wine...dunno how to explain...the moment I drink it, I puke. Thats why I always envied people who knows how to appreciate wine.