• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CheeBye SGH...only know how to bully people...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This sinkie uncle steady, fight all the way for what he deserve...

20120802.083853_my_mr-choo-bill.jpg

Retired businessman Steven Choo, 60, underwent angioplasty at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) to unclog blood vessels in his legs last November.

Mr Choo, who is diabetic, underwent the procedure - with "balloons" and stents used to unblock the arteries - which prevented gangrene from spreading from his toes.

But the successful operation marked the start of another round of problems for him. On the day he was discharged from hospital, he received a shock: His medical bill came up to $14,501, but Medisave and MediShield would cover only $900 and $810, respectively, or $1,710 combined.

SGH also told him he would not get his $6,620 deposit back, and that he still owed it $5,381, Mr Choo told my paper in an interview. The remaining $790 was covered by a government grant.

The Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board told him that the Medisave claim submitted by the hospital did not indicate a surgical procedure. This meant he could not claim the full amount he should have been entitled to: $3,050.

Insurance company AIA, which handles his MediShield account, told him likewise.

Mr Choo then hand-delivered a four-page report from his doctor to the CPF Board, explaining that angioplasty is a surgical procedure. But then he got another shock.

He said: "CPF Board wrote to tell me that they're not paying because (the angioplasty) was not done in a 'proper' place."

The CPF Board's letter, dated Feb 8, read: "Only surgical procedures performed in a properly equipped operating theatre... are Medisave claimable."

The head of SGH's diagnostic radiology department, Associate Professor Tay Kiang Hiong, told my paper that Mr Choo's angioplasty had been planned to take place in an operating theatre. But his operation was moved to an angiography suite - where angioplasty is also typically conducted.

This was because "there were urgent and complicated cases that needed to be performed in the operating theatre", said Prof Tay.

Mr Choo then sent an e-mail message to the CPF Board arguing that he had been penalised because of where his operation was conducted.

The case remained in limbo for three months, said Mr Choo, who wrote to the CPF Board repeatedly, only to receive the same reply each time that his appeal was under review.

In May, the Ministry of Health (MOH) sent him an e-mail message informing him that his appeal had been successful.

Not long after, Mr Choo's MediShield claim was also approved.

AIA told my paper that the claim was reviewed twice because there were inaccuracies in the initial claim.

Late last month, SGH called Mr Choo to tell him that both Medisave and MediShield amounts due to him had been paid out fully.

He was also entitled to a $638 refund from his deposit.

Six months later, the problem has been resolved but it has left Mr Choo irate. He said: "If I did not fight for it, where would I get the money from?"

Mr Choo added that he hopes that others would not have to be put through the same ordeal.

An MOH spokesman told my paper that angioplasty typically takes place in operating theatres.

As Mr Choo's angioplasty took place in an angiography suite, it "was not deemed a surgical procedure".

This is why SGH did not submit a Medisave claim for the procedure, said the spokesman.

The spokesman added: "We have since clarified with SGH that an angioplasty procedure... can be submitted for Medisave claims, even if it took place in the angiography suite."

[email protected]

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Customer is always right!
KPKB helps..."If I did not fight for it, where would I get the money from?"

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
This sinkie uncle steady, fight all the way for what he deserve...

If there were calamity occuring in Singapore & half the surgery have to be done along the hallway & the carpark, how do these patients claim for the expenses, they might as well just drop dead there & then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will just be a matter of time Singapore will be like the US where they will reject patients & refuse treatment just because they do not have proper medical insurance coverage! Then what is the fucking point in allocating billions of tax dollars to MOH might as well 100% privatise all medical facilities & usage! Let the market decide!!!!!!!!!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
His medical bill came up to $14,501, but Medisave and MediShield would cover only $900 and $810, respectively, or $1,710 combined.

First world country with third world medical subsidies? Even Cuba has better medical welfare than us.

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
one reason i opt out of the medishield and go to private insurer, i pay about 300 cash and 200 from medisave, incase if anything happen, it will be fully covered, i don't have to worry how much more i need to pay if i am to stay in hospital for operation.

the thing i am unsure what will happen if you contract disease not covered in the contract and need operation. what will i need to do? can someone advise?
His medical bill came up to $14,501, but Medisave and MediShield would cover only $900 and $810, respectively, or $1,710 combined.

First world country with third world medical subsidies? Even Cuba has better medical welfare than us.

Enjoy777

Alfrescian
Loyal
one reason i opt out of the medishield and go to private insurer, i pay about 300 cash and 200 from medisave, incase if anything happen, it will be fully covered, i don't have to worry how much more i need to pay if i am to stay in hospital for operation.

the thing i am unsure what will happen if you contract disease not covered in the contract and need operation. what will i need to do? can someone advise?

Usually, the insurance covers for operations in hospital. There would be few exclusions, unless specifically excluded for the person, eg pre-existing conditions not covered.

Then have to pay by yourself.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With that kind of exorbitant bill and shitty treatment, it would have been better to go to a private hospital.

Fuck the govt hospitals. Especially NUH and CGH.

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think government should let pple claim fully instead of partial, that is what government should be, however, they actually stoop to let pple still worry about how much they need to pay in excess!

i also not quite trust private insurer, why like that cos i have heard of pple unable to claim cos of some reason.

Usually, the insurance covers for operations in hospital. There would be few exclusions, unless specifically excluded for the person, eg pre-existing conditions not covered.

Then have to pay by yourself.

Last edited:

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
cow's case is a pap made propaganda to instill faith in the government healthcare system, i asked around and have not met or heard from others who need to stay in hospital for operation, and only pay $8 dollars in excess. this is i suppose one of the best con job!

I thought we only need to pay $8 for our medical bills?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If heart surgery only costs $8, why does a relatively minor procedure cost so much?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
clot artery wouldn't kill him but his medical bills would probably finish him off.

it proves in singapore, can die but cannot sick.

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who make noise, their case might be reviewed. there are many who are unaware and dunno where or how to re-address such shortchange, it would mean a bigger win-win to the pap's bureaucracy. probably that's how million$ minitoots ended up paying $8 open heart surgery. head they win; tail everyone else loses.

jiangrenhua

Alfrescian
Loyal
Medishield and Medisave and CPF are basically scams to keep your money at state banks with low interests rates which is slower than inflation.

You will never see your money now they have plans installed to keep them even longer.

And you think the businessman cannot afford such medical bills?

One chiong in the stock market he already got back his medical fees.