• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Centralised FT bashing!

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Filipinos literally leeching places via their careers

do u know why the keling stinks?
so that the blind can hate them too!

this is not a joke when u are stuck in a lift with a keling going to the 23rd floor...

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Street Smart : Abby lived life to the fullest

<!-- TopNav Start--><!-- TopNav End--> <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padbox vAlign=bottom>
logoinq7.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=padbox vAlign=top width="100%">Inquirer Entertainment / Entertainment <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=0 vAlign=top width=0 align=left>
clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Gray Horizontal Line End --><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20101001-295484/Abby-lived-life-to-the-fullest</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>STREET SMART
Street Smart : Abby lived life to the fullest

</TD></TR><TR><TD>By Mandy Navasero
Lifestyle Columnist
Philippine Daily Inquirer
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Posted date: October 01, 2010
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
THE LAST time I saw Abby Tan, a Singaporean who worked as a journalist for the Singapore Straits Times, was at LRI Design Plaza’s The Room Upstairs less than a year ago, during which she returned the paparazzi vests she had borrowed from me. She wanted to buy one from my brother, Ding, but his factory was in Los Baños, Laguna. So, I sent Abby the ones in my closet and told her to choose whichever fit her. She chose the khaki vest, because she liked its all-purpose pockets. Apparently, the ones she wore during the Aquino rallies were already torn and tattered.
While we were having tea, I asked her about her health, because she had been battling cancer for three years. But, she didn’t go through chemotherapy to treat it. Instead, she told me she was scheduled to leave for Singapore to try a nonmedical and noninvasive treatment.
“You look good,” I complimented her. “I probably look good outside, but I’m sick inside,” she replied courageously, with a gracious smile.
On Sept. 18, Abby passed away. A week before her death, my friend, Juris Soliman, insisted that we visit Abby. Probably, she had a premonition about our friend’s condition.

Resting place

On his blog, John Silva, who was at Abby’s bedside during her struggle, disclosed that Abby’s ashes would be “brought to the reefs in Anilao, Batangas,” her final resting place. That was what Abby wanted—along with dying in this country surrounded mostly by her Filipino friends. She loved her adopted home. Once, she even dedicated a song to her friends here, who she said made her life “more meaningful.”
My friend lived life to the fullest. She learned how to let go without fear. You will be missed, Abby!
Join the Boracay Halloween Photo Safari on Oct. 31-Nov. 3, or the Boracay Ati-Atihan Photo Safari on Jan. 14-17 next year. E-mail [email protected], or call 899-1767.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=padbox vAlign=bottom align=right>^ Back to top</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fontsmall vAlign=bottom align=left> ©Copyright 2001-2010 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Footer Start--><!-- Footer End -->

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asian work programme unveiled

Asian work programme unveiled

CÍAN NIHILL
Fri, Oct 15, 2010

Twenty-five Irish companies have joined forces to sponsor a number of unemployed graduates for a year of study and work in Asia under a fellowship scheme announced today.
The 25 chosen will spend nine months living in one of the world's most dynamic business regions, where they will attend Nanyang Business School in Singapore while also travelling to locations around the continent to undertake work placements.
The Farmleigh Fellowship is running the programme, which includes a range of sponsors, including financial services firm Information Mosaic and diary food company Glanbia.
Before travelling, the successful candidates will be sent to University College Cork to receive a grounding in the cultural norms and practices of the region.
The 25 participants will be required to show a range of attributes in the selection process, after which they will be assigned to one of the sponsoring companies and will work with them over the 12 months.
The graduates will be required to complete a business project relevant to their company, and they will attain a masters in Asian business that will be awarded by UCC.
Participants will spend three months in Ireland at UCC and nine months in Asia, with four months in Singapore and five months with companies in various locations across the Asia.
The application process is open until October 22nd, and information on applying can be found at www.farmleighfellowship.com.
According to its website, the Farmleigh Fellowship is a not for profit charity organisation based in Singapore. Its objective is to develop a "critical mass of highly skilled professionals" who "will spearhead greater business engagement between Ireland and the Asian region".

© 2010 irishtimes.com
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js" async=""></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.irishtimes.com/js/s_code.js"><!--Batch Build Fix: Comment added so script is recognised--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--/* You may give each page an identifying name, server, and channel on the next lines. */s.pageName="news pfarticle - Asian work programme unveiled"s.prop3="Asian work programme unveiled"s.prop4="breaking43"s.prop5="article"s.prop6="news"s.prop7="news:ireland"s.hier1="news,ireland,article"/************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--if(navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(unescape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-')--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!--/DO NOT REMOVE/--><!-- End SiteCatalyst code version: H.15.1. --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://t.bmmetrix.com/ie/irishtimes_ie/bmv13.js"><!-- BlueMetrics JS code --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--//1.3.0.7var bmsec = new Array ();getBMqs('', '', '', 'irishtimes_ie', 'ie', 'UTF-8', bmsec);--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--var _gaq = _gaq || [];_gaq.push( ['_setAccount', 'UA-850873-2'], ['_setCustomVar', 1, 'Page_Type', 'article', 3], ['_setCustomVar', 2, 'Section', 'news', 3], ['_setCustomVar', 3, 'Subsection', 'news_ireland', 3], ['_trackPageview'] );(function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);})();--></SCRIPT>

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
S(ad) League

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pix04.revsci.net/H07707/b3/0/3/0806180/270948509.js?D=DM_LOC%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nytimes.com%252F2010%252F10%252F16%252Fsports%252Fsoccer%252F16iht-SOCCER.html%253F_r%253D1%2526pagewanted%253Dprint%26DM_CAT%3DNYTimesglobal%2520%253E%2520Sports%2520%253E%2520Soccer%26DM_REF%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nytimes.com%252F2010%252F10%252F16%252Fsports%252Fsoccer%252F16iht-SOCCER.html%253F_r%253D1%26DM_EOM%3D1&C=H07707%2CH07707"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pix04.revsci.net/H07707/b3/0/3/0806180/168914313.js?D=DM_LOC%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nytimes.com%252F2010%252F10%252F16%252Fsports%252Fsoccer%252F16iht-SOCCER.html%253F_r%253D1%2526pagewanted%253Dprint%26DM_CAT%3DNYTimesglobal%2520%253E%2520Sports%2520%253E%2520Soccer%26DM_REF%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nytimes.com%252F2010%252F10%252F16%252Fsports%252Fsoccer%252F16iht-SOCCER.html%253F_r%253D1%26DM_EOM%3D1&C=H07707"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js" async=""></SCRIPT> <NYT_REPRINTS_FORM><SCRIPT name="javascript"> function submitCCCForm(){ PopUp = window.open('', '_Icon','location=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=650,height=550,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes'); this.document.cccform.submit(); } </SCRIPT><LI class=reprints>Reprints </NYT_REPRINTS_FORM>This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers here or use the "Reprints" tool that appears next to any article. Visit www.nytreprints.com for samples and additional information. Order a reprint of this article now.
<!-- end div.printInfo -->
<!-- ADXINFO classification="button_120x60" campaign="foxsearch2010_emailtools_1225556e_nyt5"-->
spacer.gif

<HR align=left SIZE=1>
October 15, 2010

<NYT_HEADLINE type=" " version="1.0">Why Can't Singapore Play in Asian League? France</NYT_HEADLINE>

<NYT_BYLINE>By KEVIN DREW

</NYT_BYLINE><NYT_TEXT><NYT_CORRECTION_TOP></NYT_CORRECTION_TOP>HONG KONG — Singapore’s practice of allowing international teams to compete in its top soccer league has helped develop the sport in the small island nation but has come at a cost: self-imposed exile from the biggest Asian competition of the beautiful game.
The Football Association of Singapore earlier this month said it would withdraw the S-League from consideration for play in the 2011-12 Asian Champions League competition rather than banish foreign clubs from competing in the league. The Asian Football Confederation has made it clear that it will not allow teams from leagues that include nondomestic squads to participate in the 2011-12 Champions League competition.
The need to increase support at home outweighs the opportunity to participate in the Champions League, which features the top teams from across Asia and parts of the Middle East, officials said.
Three international clubs currently compete in the S-League — one each from China, France and Japan.
The all-domestic-club rule is not the only Asian federation provision that the S-League is failing to meet, said Steve Kim, media and communication manager for the governing body’s club competition department. The confederation also requires an average attendance of 5,000 people per match, and S-League matches are drawing an average of fewer than 2,000, he said.
“We understand the challenges they face in Singapore,” Mr. Kim said. “We want the leagues to give the best effort to meet the criteria for Champions League.”
The Asian federation’s criteria for competing in the Champions League, which include other factors like the quality of stadiums and marketing, can be especially difficult for small nations, which struggle to draw enough fans and quality homegrown athletes to sustain leagues that can compete at international levels. Previously, leagues in nations like Bahrain and Kuwait failed to meet Asian Champions League provisions, Mr. Kim said.
The Singapore federation acknowledged the challenges in its decision to withdraw from Champions League consideration. A “lack of critical mass” in resources and the number of players across the nation of five million people led the S-League to look abroad, said Isaac Christian, an F.A.S. spokesman.
“Our focus now is to bring in better quality foreign teams and players to enhance the competitiveness of S-League for our fans,” Mr. Christian said in a statement.
International clubs offer a way to increase interest in the domestic leagues in smaller countries by fueling fan excitement and improving the standard of play, Mr. Christian said in an e-mail. Fans in many such countries would rather watch high-profile European leagues, most notably England’s, rather than the local competition. Just as crucial, foreign clubs help the S-League financially by attracting new sponsors and helping provide regional publicity to the league, Mr. Christian said.
For international teams, the lure to compete in Singapore is similarly straightforward: exposure.
“If my team was playing in France, you probably wouldn’t be calling me now,” said Johan Gouttefangeas, whose French club, Étoile FC, is at the top of the S-League standings. Mr. Gouttefangeas said there had been a noticeable change in the stands this year at the Étoile matches as the S-League competition in Singapore unfolded.
“At first, the mix of fans was maybe 80 percent French and 20 percent local,” Mr. Gouttefangeas, chairman and chief executive of Étoile, said by telephone. “But now we may have more Singaporean fans, and they are cheering, quite supportive.”
Playing and living in Singapore has been a good experience for the team’s players, he said, adding that many on the team had never lived overseas before moving to Singapore at the start of the S-League campaign this year.
Mr. Christian remained noncommittal about when Singapore would support an all-domestic-team soccer league.
“As long as we feel that foreign teams have a role to play in the development of the S-League and Singapore football, we will continue to consider them for the S-League,” he said in a statement.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
"S'pore" girl at heart

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=620><TBODY><TR><TD>The Electric New Paper :</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12>S'pore girl at heart</TD></TR><TR><TD>Janice Yan, winner of Taiwan singing contest One Million Star - Star Legend, has lived in various East Asian cities and is now studying in the US, but Singapore is where her heart is</TD></TR><TR><TD>SINGER Janice Yan was born in Beijing, lives in Hong Kong and now studies in Boston.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left><TBODY><TR><TD class=font12w>By Kwok Kar Peng</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12>02 November 2010</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12>SINGER Janice Yan was born in Beijing, lives in Hong Kong and now studies in Boston.
But she still holds a Singapore passport, although she hasn't been back here since 2007. She said Singapore is still the place she considers home.
Yan, 20, is the winner of popular Taiwanese singing competition One Million Star - Star Legend, which ended in August.
One Million Star is into its seventh season and has unearthed rising stars like Yoga Lin, Jam Hsiao, Aska Yang and Lala Hsu.
Star Legend, which was launched after Season 6, is a spin-off that features worthy contestants from previous seasons.
Yan appeared in Season 6 as one of several challengers pitted against the actual contestants in what are called the player-killing (PK) sessions. She beat the contestants in all the five PK sessions she was in.
She was eventually nicknamed Yan Luo Wang, which means the King of Hell.
She was later invited to join Star Legend, where she came out tops.
Yan won NT$1 million (S$42,000) in cash. She said she gave the programme crew a treat, donated part of the winnings to charity and used the rest to pay her tuition fees.
Yan's family migrated to Singapore when she was three years old.
She went to Kinderland Kindergarten and later studied at Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (Primary).
Her father, Yan Hui Chang, was a conductor with the Singapore Chinese Orchestra and was awarded a Cultural Medallion in 2001.
He moved to Hong Kong to work when she was seven, and she joined him when she was 11.
Despite having been away from Singapore for so long, she said she still knows the pledge and national anthem 'by heart'.
She also listens to Kit Chan's Home 'ever so often', said Yan in an e-mail interview with The New Paper from Boston.
The singer, who speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese fluently, added: 'I miss the cleanliness, the kopitiam, laksa and nasi lemak, and the place as a whole.'
She hopes to return soon for a visit and still keeps in touch with some family friends here.
'I truly miss the place, the food and the people. Seeing all the developments in the city these few years is really exciting,' she said.
Her strongest memories of Singapore are Clarke Quay, Orchard Road, Sentosa 'and the amazing view of HDB flats every National Day, since almost every household hangs the Singapore flag outside the window'.
Confused
Her multi-city lifestyle may seem glamorous but Yan admitted that it has caused much confusion - even on the set of Star Legend.
She said: 'People often ask me where I'm from but I don't know how to reply.
'When I was in Singapore, people said I'm from China. When I was in Hong Kong, people there said I'm Singaporean. In the US, I'm Chinese.
'I can't seem to fit in anywhere.'
In an interview with popular Taiwanese TV host Matilda Tao for the website Women, she said the globe-trotting life can be a lonely one.
She added that she is envious of people who have childhood friends and wished she had pals with whom she grew up.
Her longest friendships - of six years, to date - are with her buddies in Hong Kong.
Yan claimed she was bullied by her schoolmates in Singapore because none of her family members spoke English.
She said she was very quiet in school and would cry alone after being bullied.
'People think I look very tough, but, in my view, if I don't appear so, I would be bullied,' said the singer.
She said she is a shy person, a trait she attributed to her Singaporean upbringing because students here have to 'follow rules and be obedient'.
'When I joined Star Legend, I often sat alone. People probably thought I was unapproachable.'
Yan described herself as someone who is not confident and admitted she often doubted her vocal abilities. So, getting recognition for her performances means a lot to her.
She added that she still needs to improve her singing abilities.
To take part in Star Legend, Yan postponed her studies at Boston University for half a year and moved to Taipei.
She said the constant pressure of the competition and being in a foreign country without friends and family forced her to grow up quickly.
Studies less stressful
She added: 'It was quite a drastic change from being a simple college student, when the stress comes almost entirely from exams and academics.'
She returned to Boston in September to resume her studies as a third-year economics major when Star Legend ended.
School, she said, is less stressful than the singing contest.
Said Yan: 'Some of my friends are aware of the competition, but they don't make it a topic among us.
'It definitely feels great to dress down, carry a backpack and attend lectures.
'Everything's more down to earth and things just feel a lot less stressful...the stress from exams can't compare with that from the competition.'
Despite her growing popularity - she has around 115,000 fans following her on Facebook - Yan has no intention of giving up her studies to pursue a career in music.
'I love school. I personally think that the four years of college are going to be the best years of my life,' she said, adding that what she can learn from school and her peers is priceless.
She has no plans to release an album and hasn't thought about what she would do after graduation, choosing instead to take things as they come.
'I'm starting to think that planning way ahead of time may not be the best move since my plans will never catch up with how fast things around me keep changing.'

<HR><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=768><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>
Copyright © 2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement and Conditions of Access
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START Nielsen//NetRatings SiteCensus V5.3 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2007 Nielsen//NetRatings --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var _rsCI="sg-sph"; /* client ID */ var _rsCG="tnp"; /* content group */ var _rsDN="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/"; /* data node */ var _rsDT=1; /* to turn on whether to get the document title, 0=off 1=on */ var _rsSE=1; /* to turn on surveys, 0=off 1=on */ var _rsSM=0.1; /* maxumum survey rate, 1.0=100% */ var _rsSS=500; /* sample size */ var _rsCL=1; /* link overlay, 0=off 1=on */ document.write('<scr'+'ipt type="text/javascript" src="'+_rsDN+'v53.js"></scr'+'ipt>');</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT>
m
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- END Nielsen//NetRatings SiteCensus V5.3 --><!-- ===================================================================================================== --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://tnp.sg/mnt/html/ads/scripts/tnpadscripts3.js"></SCRIPT><!-- BEGIN: M1ACV Release 2.1.1 --><!-- (c)2002-2007, MediaOne Network Inc. All Rights Reserved. -->

pixel.gif
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript src="http://acvs.mediaonenetwork.net/client/acv211.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://acvs.mediaonenetwork.net/mrsc/acvgo.aspx?SV=3&DTM=1288707335236&TZ=480&m1SECID=000000566-999&DOC=http%3A//tnp.sg/printfriendly/0%2C4139%2C260254%2C00.html%3F&REF="></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://acvs.mediaonenetwork.net/script/acvns01.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- END: M1ACV --> <!-- ===================================================================================================== --><IFRAME style="Z-INDEX: 100000; POSITION: fixed; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 3px; BOTTOM: 1px; HEIGHT: 1px; OVERFLOW: hidden; RIGHT: 1px" id=M1IFRWIN tabIndex=-1 frameBorder=0 name=M1IFRWIN scrolling=no></IFRAME>

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Support us, we are Singaporean

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The Electric New Paper :</TD></TR><TR><TD>S.LEAGUE</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12 style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Support us, we are Singaporean</TD></TR><TR><TD>BANGKOK Glass were a long way from their home ground of Leo Stadium, but at times during last Friday's Singapore Cup semi-final first-leg clash with Etoile, it was the S-League leaders who seemed like the visiting team.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12 style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=font12w style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none">By Dilenjit Singh</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12 style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none">06 November 2010</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font12 style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none">SINGAPORE CUP
SEMI-FINAL, 2ND LEG
ETOILE FC v BANKGKOK GLASS
(Tonight, 7.45pm, Queenstown Stadium)

1st leg: 1-1BANGKOK Glass were a long way from their home ground of Leo Stadium, but at times during last Friday's Singapore Cup semi-final first-leg clash with Etoile, it was the S-League leaders who seemed like the visiting team.
That's because a vocal segment of the crowd that day threw their support behind the Thai team, cheering vociferously - particularly when the Glass Rabbits took the game to the Stars in the second half.
That dismayed Etoile chairman Johan Gouttefangeas.
'I was shocked to see so many Bangkok fans last week,' he said.
'I don't think they all came from Thailand, I recognised them as fans of other S-League clubs.
'It was a bit disappointing. I had hoped that when a team from Thailand comes here, the fans would back us because we are the Singaporean team.'
When The New Paper put it to him that maybe his team was the victim of its remarkable debut season and the cult of backing the underdog, Gouttefangeas wasn't buying it.
'If that's the case, then it's stupid,' said the 32-year-old.
'We are Singaporeans, people have to realise that. We are an S-League team, we play in Singapore, we live in Singapore and frankly, I feel Singaporean.'
Missing
Gouttefangeas will miss tonight's match, having left for overseas last night. Also missing tonight, from the Etoile bench at least, will be their coach Patrick Vallee.
Having been dismissed from the dugout for the fourth time this season during the first leg of the Singapore Cup semi-final against Bangkok Glass, he will be serving a suspension.
Not that Gouttefangeas is particularly worried.
'Unfortunately we're getting a bit used to it,' he noted.
'But I don't think it will have much of an impact. The players know what to do and Jorg (Steinbrunner) will be on the bench.'
In jest, he added: 'Anyway, Queenstown is a small stadium, so Patrick doesn't need to be on the touchline for the players to hear him.
'When he shouts, you can hear him at the other end of the stadium.'
<HR><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=768 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>
Copyright © 2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement and Conditions of Access
m

pixel.gif

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rising peso hits Filipinos abroad

Nov 5, 2010
Rising peso hits Filipinos abroad
But strong S$ shelters those in Singapore
By Alastair McIndoe, Philippines Correspondent

MANILA: Among Asia's sharpest rising currencies against the US dollar has been the Philippine peso - which is bad news for many Filipinos working overseas who regularly wire home a chunk of their earnings to support their families.

Those working in the United States and in countries pegging their currencies to the US dollar are taking an increasingly severe currency hit on their remittances. One such territory is Hong Kong, where around 140,000 Filipinos work.

The peso has risen just over 8 per cent against the US dollar this year - and currency analysts predict even sharper gains in the coming months.

The 160,000 Filipinos working in Singapore have been largely sheltered from the currency rise by the strong Singapore dollar, which has kept the exchange rate with the peso stable over a period of intense international currency volatility.

'Despite the very strong peso, Filipinos working in Singapore have not been out of pocket on their remittances,' said financial journalist Ditas Lopez, who recently returned to the Philippines after working in Singapore for four years.

She added: 'This particularly helps domestic workers who usually send home almost all of their earnings.'

Latest Philippine central bank data showed that the Singapore dollar fetched on average 32.97 pesos in January and 33.19 pesos in September, still a stable movement in currency terms.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore last month widened its trading band for the Singapore dollar, allowing it to rise further to tackle inflation.

Filipino food technologist Lorelie Caso, who works for a food flavouring firm in the Republic, said: 'The relatively stable and strong Singapore currency is one of the things I appreciate about living here.'

It is not only an internationally weak US dollar which is powering the peso. Remittances - which hit a record US$17 billion (S$22 billion) last year - are also spurring the peso, as is a surge of foreign investment in the Philippine stock market.

Its main index has risen 40 per cent this year, boosted by global capital flows into Asia's emerging markets and optimism over the new government in the country.

President Benigno Aquino has voiced concern over the impact of the peso's sharp appreciation on overseas workers and the country's export sector.

On Tuesday, the US dollar fell below the psychologically important barrier of 43 pesos; banking giant HSBC is forecasting 41 pesos by the end of the year.

Ms Thelma Uanang, who runs recruitment agency Philquest, said: 'There is now a lot of worry over the rising peso among overseas Filipino workers.'

She said the peso may soon rise to a point at which it is no longer worthwhile for some Filipinos in low-wage jobs to continue working abroad.

In previous bouts of currency instability, Filipinos tended not to send less money to their remittance-dependent families, but absorbed the losses themselves.

For that reason, the adverse exchange rate is not expected to trigger a fall in overall remittances, which are a vital prop to the Philippine economy from - among other things - higher spending on consumer goods to construction.

In all, remittances account for over a tenth of the country's gross domestic product.

Officials expect remittance growth of 8 per cent this year, a reflection partly of more Filipinos working in higher-paid skilled and professional jobs abroad.

The central bank, meanwhile, is trying to slow the currency's advance by intermittently buying US dollars on the currency market, but this is a costly exercise for a cash-strapped country.

It has also relaxed foreign-exchange restrictions to boost demand for US dollars by doubling to US$60,000 the amount of foreign currency per transaction that Philippine residents may buy. But for now the peso is set for new thresholds.

[email protected]
<!-- / message -->

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'pore IRs ruin Johor families, says lawmaker

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>News @ AsiaOne
S'pore IRs ruin Johor families, says lawmaker
Many housewives lured by "free" packages and neglecting their responsibilities. -The Star/ANN

Fri, Nov 26, 2010
The Star/Asia News Network
JOHOR, MALAYSIA - CASINOS in Singapore are ruining Johor families, as many housewives are lured by "free" daily packages and neglecting their responsibilities, a Johor lawmaker said yesterday.
Mr Tang Nai Soon, state assemblyman for Pekan Nenas, suggested that the Malaysian government hold diplomatic talks with Singapore to stop such free packages as soon as possible.
He added: "The government also needs to limit the number of Malaysians entering casinos in Singapore."
He said that about 30 per cent of gamblers, mostly housewives, opted for "free" daily trips to the casinos arranged by private individuals and companies.
<TABLE width=176 bgColor=#ccffff align=left><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext width=164>Read also:</TD></TR><TR><TD width=172>
20100910.094027_rws-shuttletn.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext width=172>» RWS stops free shuttle to heartlands</TD></TR><TR><TD width=164>
thumbnail.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext>» Take a look inside the
Resorts World Sentosa
Casino
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=172>
20100821.093000_rwstn.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext width=172>» Man who lost S$26mil gambling is head of seafood business</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>They spend about 10 hours at the casinos during each trip, he said, adding that more than 30 buses make the journey daily.
"Some housewives would even secretly borrow from Ah Longs (loan sharks)...to hide their gambling activities," Mr Tang added.
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#666666>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Copyright ©2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: b600d8dcf9dc6110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/neta1.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT>
m
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- END RedMeasure V5.1 --><!-- track dependencies -->

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
MINDEF Or MFA?

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
Two receive Mindef research fellowships
The fellowships will enable Mindef to engage a wider pool of talented researchers. -myp

Wed, Dec 08, 2010
my paper
THE Ministry of Defence yesterday awarded the inaugural Temasek Research Fellowship and Nanyang-DSO Post Doctoral Fellowship to Dr Oleg Vasylkiv and Dr Edwin Teo Hang Tong respectively.
The fellowships will enable Mindef to engage a wider pool of talented researchers from here and abroad to undertake basic research with potential applications to defence.

For more my paper stories click here.

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#666666>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Copyright ©2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: 2ebaadbd2b722110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/neta1.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/j?ci=sg-sph&ss=500&cc=1&rd=1291893807620&se=1&sv="></SCRIPT>
m

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nightsoil In Shiny Armour

story goes like dis.... 3rd class sinkie gal accidentally bump into angmo man in crowded mrt...angmo buay song pull her out of the train and wallop her....angmo quite big size so station ppl try to stop also got difficulty...then call police...when angmo see police then stop...then make up story to the police dat the girl try to steal his handphone... police also neber do anything to the angmo...take statement then just leave.... angmo upper class...sinkies are 3rd class...so angmo wack sinkie bor sala..liek dat also can....:mad:

不小心碰撞 女郎遭洋汉拉出车厢猛揍

20101209_sk_mrt-beating_img_main.jpg

进地铁时不小心碰撞到洋汉,女郎声称竟被对方拉出车厢打,还被压倒在地,身受轻伤,报警求救。

这起事件发生在昨天下午3时50分左右,地点是裕廊东地铁站。《晚报》读者唐先生(57岁,行销人员)目睹 此事,第一时间拨电通知《晚报》。

唐先生向记者形容,他看到一名高大洋汉在地铁站内靠近控制间和地铁站闸门处,与一名年轻貌美的女郎起争执, 引起一阵骚动。

唐先生说,个子娇小的女郎不敌洋汉,3次被推倒在地上,站起来反抗后,又被推倒压制在地上,整个过程至少5 分钟。“洋汉样子凶神恶煞,女郎高声求救,两名地铁站女职员上前企图制止洋汉,但似乎无法阻止他。后来,另 一名地铁站男职员上前阻止,洋汉才停手。”

唐先生形容,男女猛烈争执,气氛非常紧张,许多进出地铁站的乘客,都停下脚步观看。他说,女郎之后报警,一 辆警车和一辆救护车抵达现场。

据了解,女郎声称在进入地铁车厢时,不小心碰撞到洋汉,对方竟发怒把她拉出车厢,两人一路从地铁月台拉扯争 执到控制间。

洋汉称,女郎要偷他的手机。完整报道,请翻阅09.12.2010《联合晚报》

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fewer M'sians working in S'pore now

blank.gif
Fewer M'sians working in S'pore now
Due to tightening of conditions on hiring of foreign workers in Johor. -The Star/ANN

Sun, Dec 12, 2010
JOHOR BARU - THE number of Malaysians working in Singapore has been on the decline in the past four months, said the Labour Department.
This is due to the tightening of conditions on the hiring of foreign workers in Johor which has resulted in Malaysians being hired to fill up vacant posts.
Department director-general Datuk Sheikh Yahya Sheikh Mohamed said that there were about 300,000 Malaysians working in the republic but the numbers had remained stagnant.
'It is decreasing now,' he said after attending a job placement programme at Danga City Mall here yesterday. Sheikh Yahya said the department was also encouraging companies to offer competitive salaries to attract Malaysians.
'Companies have also started offering better salaries because of more stringent policies on hiring foreign labour. 'We have told them that they have to meet national standards and not offer remunerations that will only attract cheap foreign labour,' he said.
Sheikh Yahya said this had resulted in better salaries, especially in Johor. 'This is a good sign and next year, we estimate that an additional 3,000 high income jobs will be available from several big projects within Iskandar Malaysia,' he said.
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#666666>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Copyright ©2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: 2ebaadbd2b722110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/neta1.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT>
m

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Death

blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Health @ AsiaOne
'Hospital caused my wife's death'
Man alleges that his wife and unborn baby died because a doctor and nurse at a private hospital were negligent. -The Star/ANN

Mon, Dec 13, 2010
By Sarban Singh
SEREMBAN: A 40-year-old businessman has alleged that his wife and unborn baby died because a doctor and nurse at a private hospital here were negligent.
Khairul Anwar Abdul Halim said the incompetence of the duo had caused the deaths of his 40-year-old wife Norliza Shariff and the baby.
The father of four other children claimed that he took his wife to the hospital at 8.30am on Dec 6 after she showed signs of going into labour.
"As soon as my wife was wheeled in, I asked the doctor to perform a Caesarian section due to her age. The doctor refused," he told reporters at his home in Kg Sungai Landak in Ampangan near here.
Khairul Anwar said he made a similar request at noon but was again told that surgery was unnecessary.
"At 3pm, a nurse attending to my wife asked her to put on an oxygen mask to reduce labour pains. I told the nurse that this was not advisable as my wife only had her lunch at 1.45pm," he said.
The nurse went ahead anyway and Norliza had to put on the mask until 5pm.
Khairul Anwar claimed that his wife was ready to give birth at 4.30pm but even then the nurse did not notify the doctor.
"All of a sudden my wife vomited and became semi-conscious. Even the doctor who had just come into the room panicked when he saw this," he claimed.
Khairul Anwar said he again asked the doctor to perform surgery on Norliza but his wife was only wheeled into the operation theatre some 30 minutes later.
"At 7.30pm, I was told that both my wife and baby had died at 6.35pm. Both would have been alive today if the doctor had performed surgery on my wife in the morning," he said, adding that his children Muhammad Hilmi, 19, Nurkhairun-nisa, 15, Muhammad Hafiz, 14, and Syafiq Hakim, 11, were traumatised by their mother's death.
He lodged a police report at the Rahang station two days later.
The hospital authorities could not be reached for comment.
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: 245d471588322110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://health.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/net_health.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT>
m

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maid who allegedly caused death of disabled girl only 16

blank.gif
Maid who allegedly caused death of disabled girl only 16
She may escape the gallows even if found guilty. -AsiaOne

Sat, Dec 25, 2010
AsiaOne
The Indonesian maid who allegedly caused the death of her employer's 12-year-old disabled daughter may escape the gallows, even if she is found to be guilty, due to a discrepancy in her actual age.
<TABLE class=bodytext border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=506 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" colSpan=4>Girl, 12, found murdered in Hougang
Click on thumbnail to view. Read story.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>As confirmed by her lawyer and officials from the Indonesian embassy, who went to her family in West Java Village, Nurhayati is 16, and not 24. Her age was confirmed after checking her school records and interviews with her family.
The death sentence cannot be imposed on a defendant below the age of 18, according to the Criminal Procedure Code.
The charge against her was amended in court on Friday. She is suspected of causing the death of Linda Lee, a 12-year-old special needs student, who was found at the foot of a Housing Board block in Hougang on November 24 this year.
The prosecution yesterday sought further remand for her, for evaluation with a child psychiatrist. Her case will be mentioned again on Friday, December 31.
The maid's family, according to her lawyer Mr Mohamed Muzammil Mohamed, are 'extremely concerned with the well-being of Nurhayati,'
In an interview with ChannelNewsAsia, he also said: "They were also very apprehensive because we were informed that there were people who had in fact threatened them with regards to the age, not to reveal the actual age to us."
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) had increased the minimum age of maids from 18 to 23 years in 2005.

In a Straits Times report today, maid agencies here said that it is not unusual for maids to lie about their ages, with the average lying by three to five years.
In the case of Indonesian maids, the agencies also said that it is harder to verify their actual ages, as many do not have birth certificates.
Agencies will net a three-point demerit from MOM when a maid is found to have falsely declared her age. Twelve demerit points will merit a warning and a spot on the surveillance list, while further offences may cause its licence to be revoked.
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: 2ebaadbd2b722110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/neta1.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT>
m

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Breakdancer jailed for breaking man’s nose

<CITE>By Channel NewsAsia, </CITE>Updated: 11/01/2011

<STYLE type=text/css>@import url("http://sgstc.msn.com/br/csl/css/38742CDE2D315FB67F7A0AF2CBE04B3B/fbutility.css");</STYLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>/*<![CDATA[*/jQuery.async(0,0,"http://sgstj.msn.com/br/csl/js/080F5672F07C9CAABA33D7F8C1DB4751/fbutility.js");//]]></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>/*<![CDATA[*/jQuery.async("Msn.Facebook",function(){Msn.Facebook.initiateFacebookLike('132970837947','');Msn.Facebook.TrackingData = {fbAppId:"132970837947",actionName:"like",omniAccountName:"",samplingRate:"100",pageType:"article"};Msn.Facebook.trackingFacebookLike('');});//]]></SCRIPT>
882EFA113771B19EB1793C8C7826B.jpg

SINGAPORE: A 29—year—old man, said to be one of Singapore’s top breakdancers, was on Tuesday sentenced to six weeks’ jail after breaking another man’s nose at Zirca Mega Club, a local nightspot.
Felix Huang Sze Thian, who’s also a sound engineer, punched John Zhang Junneng’s nose at around 4am inside the Clarke Quay club on September 6, 2009.
The scuffle broke out after Huang had noticed him dancing very closely behind his girlfriend on a podium inside the nightspot.
He went forward and gestured to Mr Zhang to stay away from her.
The 35—year—old self—employed man then got off the podium to confront Huang and the scuffle soon broke out between the two men.
The club bouncers intervened and Mr Zhang was sent to the Singapore General Hospital.
In mitigation, Huang’s lawyer Eric Tin told the court his client would compensate Mr Zhang S$3,000 for his pain and suffering.
The slim, bespectacled Huang will be appealing against the sentence and was offered a bail of S$15,000.
According to a website by E—tracX, a company that promotes street—culture activities, Huang had performed at many events in countries such as Australia and Indonesia.
He had also taught dancing at different schools in Singapore.
For voluntarily hurting Mr Zhang, Huang could have been jailed up to two years, fined a maximum of S$5,000 or both.
—CNA/wk

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prostitutes in Geylang ply trade despite security cameras

blank.gif
Prostitutes in Geylang ply trade despite security cameras
CCTV along certain stretches of roads have not deterred prostitutes during the busy festive season. A check last week from 11pm to 2am saw about 100 working girls and their pimps thronging Lorongs 8, 10, 12 and Talma Road.-TNP

Sun, Feb 06, 2011
The New Paper
<TABLE class=bodytext border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=506 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4>GEYLANG HOTSPOT
Click on thumbnail to view </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bodytext border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=506 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4>Blog "exposes" men who go to Geylang
Click on thumbnail to view </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD><TD width=120> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="WIDTH: 122px; HEIGHT: 200px" bgColor=#ccffff align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
pic1_tn.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext>» Boom time for Geylang call girls this CNY break </TD></TR><TR><TD>
pic2_tn.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext>» Ladyboys soliciting at Jurong West bus stop</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
By Special Correspondents
SECURITY cameras along certain stretches of roads in Geylang have not deterred prostitutes from plying their trade there during the busy festive season.
When we visited the area last week from 11pm to 2am, about 100 working girls and their pimps thronged Lorongs 8, 10, 12 and Talma Road.
Last year, police raids drove most of them away but some have returned. One pimp told The New Paper that there are more prostitutes because business is usually good during this period.
The women seemed oblivious to the closed-circuit TV (CCTV) cameras - some with large blue signs declaring "Police camera in operation" in four languages - installed along the lanes of the red-light district.
We noticed 12 cameras from Lorong 12 to Lorong 22 Geylang. Of these, two at the junction of Talma Road and Lorong 12 Geylang were recently added.
Some have signs indicating that the cameras were in operation, while others were unmarked.
A prostitute from Indonesia, who wanted to be known only as Annie, 20, stood right beneath one of the police cameras at the junction of Lorong 12 Geylang and Talma Road last Wednesday night.
Annie arrived here with a social visit pass just in time to catch the pre-Chinese New Year crowd. Last Wednesday was her second day here.
Is she afraid of the police?
"Only checkpoint," she said in broken English, referring to the immigration officers stationed at the airport.
But she is "not scared" of the CCTV cameras, she said. She plans to leave once the festive period is over.
A prostitute from Wuhan, China, who wished to be known only as Xiuxiu, 24, said last Thursday was her second day soliciting in Geylang.
Xiuxiu, who came here on a student pass a month ago, used to work as a KTV singer at Havelock Road, but the income of $300 a night as a lounge singer was too little for her, she said.
Xiuxiu, who stationed herself along Talma Road, was not aware of the two police CCTV cameras installed at the junction. She said in Mandarin: "This is terrible. What if my face gets recognised by the police? Will I get into trouble with immigration?"
One security expert, Mr S M Jegan from Kokusai Security, said the cameras will not deter the girls.

</P>Can't be recognised
He said: "They're foreign girls...So why would they care if their faces are captured on camera? Nobody would recognise them.
"They only worry about police patrols or anti-vice raids."
Mr Royce Tan, who owns a few apartments in Geylang and manages a string of tattoo studios there, agreed.
Mr Tan, 44, said: "Whenever there's a raid, the streetwalkers will reappear a few weeks later. Whether or not security cameras are in place, they are not afraid."
Mr Wu, 71, who has lived at Wing Fong Court, located at the junction of Talma Road and Lorong 14 Geylang, for more than 10 years, is upset that despite the cameras and raids, prostitutes still line the streets.
"Somehow the pimps get access to (the apartment complex premises)," said Mr Wu.
"Often, when the police come, the pimps would open the gate and let the girls hide here.
"The girls are still lining up outside my gate every night. But what can I do?"
CCTV cameras should not be the only answer to eradicating illegal prostitution, said the police.
Police spokesman Mohd Hamizyam said: "The CCTV system does not perform an active protective role and should not be designed to serve as the sole protective measure in a specified area, but must work in conjunction with other security measures, such as access control, alarm systems (and so on)."
While CCTVs have proven to be useful in helping the police to deter, detect and solve crimes, they are just one of the many tools used by the police in investigations.
Added the spokesman: "For example, even though a clear view of a suspect's face may have been captured on CCTV, police investigations will still be needed to identify the suspect, locate him and recover the physical evidence."
The Straits Times reported in September 2008 that there were then more than 120 CCTV cameras keeping a round-the-clock watch on places like Boat Quay, Orchard Road, Shenton Way, Little India and Geylang.
The cameras were first introduced in 2003, and a command centre, manned 24 hours, receives live images.
The report said the police had intended to add a further 223 cameras. One polytechnic student is glad there are surveillance cameras close to where she lives.
The female student from Temasek Polytechnic, who wished to be known only by her surname Shi, has lived in an apartment in Geylang for three years.
The student from China, who has been mistaken as a working girl several times, said on Tuesday that she is glad the police CCTV cameras are there.
"I feel safer with (the cameras) around, but I would still avoid the back alleys," she said.

</P>Higher CNY room rates
ARE businesses in Geylang cashing in on the increased traffic during the festive season?
A staff member of one Geylang budget hotel told us that its nightly rate has increased from $45 to $70 from Wednesday to Monday.
A staff member at another hotel told us on Tuesday that the nightly rate of $40 will most likely be increased during the Chinese New Year period too.
Business has also improved lately for some eateries, thanks to the influx of streetwalkers during this festive season.
At Mongkok Dim Sum, a coffee shop at Geylang Road, a staff member, who gave her name as Madam Ah Mei, 42, said business has been good in the weeks leading to Chinese New Year.
Most of her customers are local young men, Madam Ah Mei said.
Is she bothered by the fact that there are many prostitutes just a stone's throw away?
She said: "We have accepted (their presence). The business here is brought about by the nightlife here, including those men who go to the KTVs. Why should we feel disturbed?"
But not all shop operators saw good business
Two doors away at 218 Coffeeshop, business has dipped, said a beer promoter who wanted to be known as Season.
She said: "Business dropped lately because many foreign workers have returned home. Even traffic on the road has decreased."

This article was first published in The New Paper.
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>Copyright ©2011 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- START RedSheriff Measurement V5.1 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 2003 RedSheriff Limited --><!-- g_currChannelId: 2ebaadbd2b722110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.asiaone.com/a1mediajs/site/a1nr/neta1.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="//secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/v53.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://secure-sg.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/j?ci=sg-sph&ss=500&cc=1&rd=1297103050581&se=1&sv="></SCRIPT>
m

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRC: -

Public Representative Corrupted
Pillage Resolute Constitution
Purposely Release Carnage
Principles Rarely Commendable
People’s Respect Culled
Pathetic Revolting Characteristics