• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canada: Gun Violence, Shootings 'Unacceptable' in BC

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guns are everywhere and sentences for firearms offences are light. If you get arrested today, you can get bail and go home by the next day, if not the same evening.

This is just crazy.

Is it just BC that has soft laws on firearms? How is safety in general? Do you feel safe? Do the RCMP need to wear bulletproof vests?

Do you think I should advise my friend's son to take care. He is thinking of doing a 6 month working holidays at the Big White for the next ski season.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is just crazy.

Is it just BC that has soft laws on firearms? How is safety in general? Do you feel safe? Do the RCMP need to wear bulletproof vests?

Do you think I should advise my friend's son to take care. He is thinking of doing a 6 month working holidays at the Big White for the next ski season.

Another 3 shootings in Metro Vancouver since the shots fired in North Road. Can you believe that? Your friend should go to the French Alps to work.

How safe? Take a look at the next article you have have policeman beating and robbing people and they say they don't like brown people.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 off-duty police officers arrested for alleged robbery and assault

The Canadian Press
January 21, 2009

Three Lower Mainland police officers have been arrested for an alleged robbery and assault, the Vancouver Police Department said Wednesday.

The three off-duty officers were arrested after an altercation Wednesday morning with a 47-year-old Surrey man in the 600 block of Vancouver's Burrard Street, according to a statement released by Const. Jana McGuinness.

An ambulance was called to the scene, but no one was taken to hospital.

Vancouver Police are continuing to investigate and Crown prosecutors will be asked to review any potential charges.

The names of the officers were not released.

Delta police spokeswoman Const. Sharlene Brooks said the Delta officer involved is a patrol constable who has been with the force for three years.

"It's unfortunate that one of our officers is involved in a situation in which he is now under investigation. It's very disappointing," she said Wednesday.

"As soon as we can gather more information, a determination will be made as far as whether he is suspended immediately or whether he's reassigned to administrative duties until we can gather further information."

Delta police have asked the B.C. Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner to order an investigation into the conduct of the officer.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
'We don't like brown people'

The Canadian Press
January 23, 2009

VANCOUVER — A B.C. delivery man allegedly assaulted by three off-duty police officers this week on Friday claimed his assailants made racial comments and threatened to use a Taser on him.

"They told me that we don't like brown people. And I told them I am sorry," Firoz Khan told reporters Friday in front of his Surrey home. "That was the day I was delivering, when President Obama was elected as the U.S. president."

Early Wednesday morning, Vancouver police arrested off-duty police officers from the Delta, New Westminster and West Vancouver forces on suspicion of assault and robbery outside the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Khan said that as he approached the doors of the hotel, a man standing outside called him.

"He said, 'Come here, you f—ing idiot, get the f— out here,'" Khan said.

The man then asked him for directions.

"I told him, 'Take it easy, let me make this delivery, and I'll tell you how to go.'"

The man persisted, he said. "He said, 'Come here f—ing now.'"

Khan said the man grabbed his jacket, pulled him to the sidewalk, and began to attack him.

About five to seven minutes later, he was joined by two others.

"To my knowledge, I have been beaten, first by one person, and then later by another two," said Khan, 47, who works for Dolphin Delivery. "In total they were three. They kicked me in my head, kicked my back, legs, everywhere."

Khan, who had a white bandage on his head, said he was robbed of $200 in the incident and he was further threatened when he asked for help.

"They told me, 'We are the police, you don't need help. If you don't behave, if you don't do anything, we have a Taser,'" Khan said. "I told them that I am half-dead anyways, after you guys beat me up so badly, so you might as well use the Taser and then kill me so that's the end of the story."

City workers, cab drivers and McDonald's employees saw him on the ground and rushed to help, he recalled.

"I was arrested, I was handcuffed by the police, and then a cab driver told police: 'He is not a suspect. He is a driver, getting beaten.'"

He claimed he could smell alcohol on their breath.

"All three of them were drunk.

"I feel very traumatized. I feel very afraid now."

B.C.'s Attorney General Wally Oppal on Friday asked the public to "keep an open mind."

"Let's wait for all the facts to come out," he told CBC.

Also on Friday, Delta police announced that their officer being investigated in the incident is being reassigned to administrative duties. They did not release the officer's name.

On Thursday, New Westminster Police announced they have suspended their officer with pay. He has been identified as 38-year-old Const. Jeffrey Klassen, and has been with the force for four years.

West Vancouver police said they reassigned their officer to desk duties. That officer has been with force for 18 months.

Sheri Klassen, Klassen's ex-wife, said the three are close friends who graduated together from the Justice Institute of B.C. They were together Tuesday night having a reunion in the downtown entertainment district, she said.

Khan is expected to be off work for some time, Dave Breen of Dolphin Delivery said Friday.

"I talked to him today and to be honest with you, he doesn't sound that good, as far as mentally," Breen said. "I think he's just still shaken up by the whole thing. So I really don't expect him to be back any time soon."

Breen said Khan has a "spotless record" after more than a decade working for the company.

"We've had a couple things happen around here where somebody's member of the family has been sick, and he's always the person that steps up with some money, pitching in money for somebody," Breen said.

"He's a good guy. Never had any problems with him."

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
More gunplay in Metro Vancouver

The Canadian Press
February 14, 2009

Four men were arrested and another fled on foot, but may have been shot in a wild shoot out in Burnaby.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Thiessen said police were called out about 2:15 p.m. to a shots-fired call, and arrested two men in a home in the 2400-block North Road.

Two other men fled in a stolen car, and were arrested near Coquitlam Centre Mall.

The fifth man, who police believe may have been shot, was still at large Thursday night.

Fridays’s events make nine shootings in nine days — and even the police are concerned.

“All of our officers live in the Lower Mainland,” said Thiessen.

“They all have families. Everyone has every right to be concerned.” Nearby residents were shocked that the shooting spree struck so close to home.

BCIT student Ivan Kieserg, who lives directly across from the home, missed being shot by minutes.

“When I drove up the street, the police were just setting up,” said Kieserg, 38. “I’m still shaking.

“I could have been caught in the middle of it — it’s unreal.

“You don’t expect this in this neighbourhood. It seems to be happening everywhere.”

Psychologist Jesse Chan drove out of his parkade to see police lines, cars, and officers canvassing the area.

“With gunplay, it’s always more likely to affect bystanders — that’s always a concern for me,” said Chan, 32, who lives directly across from the site of the gun battle.

“I thought this was an okay place.”

“It’s a big-city life. I don’t like it.”

Corinne Sigouin was driving home from her job as a video producer when she saw a throng of police cars.

“I was driving up Como Lake Road towards North Road, and I saw police cars all over the place,” said Sigouin, 35. “It’s just gotten ridiculous. I was talking to my friends last night, and they had just driven by the body in Vancouver.

“My brother doesn’t even want to go downtown anymore. That’s where they all hang out. “Everyone’s afraid.”

Friday’s shooting comes less than 24 hours after a 23-year-old Vancouver man was gunned down in the 3100-block of Nanaimo Street.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
3280203071_3800d9e056_o.jpg

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Still, it is not as bad as Jo'burg. The Gautang province is overrun by idiots that make South Africa such a nasty place to live.

Even driving on the road, I had to give way to the High Impact African Culling Equipments that never give signals and when I stop at traffic lights, I even have to rev my engine so that the people do not do funny things to me, my car - just because I am Asian.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still, it is not as bad as Jo'burg. The Gautang province is overrun by idiots that make South Africa such a nasty place to live.

Even driving on the road, I had to give way to the High Impact African Culling Equipments that never give signals and when I stop at traffic lights, I even have to rev my engine so that the people do not do funny things to me, my car - just because I am Asian.

That's true. Crime rates in Johannesburg is extremely disturbing. How Johannesburg become the financial capital is anyone guess. You must be very brave to venture into Johannesburg. South Africa is a nice place. I bet places like Cape Town is beautiful.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's true. Crime rates in Johannesburg is extremely disturbing. How Johannesburg become the financial capital is anyone guess. You must be very brave to venture into Johannesburg. South Africa is a nice place. I bet places like Cape Town is beautiful.

South Africa give me a positive impression. It is a beautiful country naturally ~ whether one is in the Cape Peninsular or Western Cape, etc

Situated opposite Australia, it is quite the opposite of the red barren dry continent. Where it rains in winter in Perth, it rains in summer in Cape Town, so it does not get extreme heat of the Aussie continent.

But South Africa is not for the faint-hearted, typical Singaporeans will not be happy living there, imagine having your house protected by electric fence. If you are rich enough, you can even have lions as watchdogs ... hahaha ... if you own a private reserve.
But you will find the servants plentiful.

It is a country of missed opportunities ~ because of the current mismanagement by the ANC govt.

Cape Town is a nice place, where it is possible to tell the weather by looking at Table Mountain. There is some Malaya influence in this city.

Jo-burg on the other hand, has been given way to anarchy. Civilised people now work and live outside the Metro area such as the northern suburb of Sandton.

Last edited:

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are rich enough, you can even have lions as watchdogs ...

Cape Town is a nice place, where it is possible to tell the weather by looking at Table Mountain. There is some Malaya influence in this city.

Lions as watchdogs, I hope you are just kidding..

I think the Malays are decendents from those that were banished from Malaya by the British, particularly during the time when the British Resident in Perak was killed.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Woman shot dead in Surrey while driving with son

The Canadian Press
February 17 2009

The epidemic of gun violence on the streets of Metro Vancouver reached horrific new level on Monday morning when a woman was gunned down -execution style -- in her luxury car, while driving with her little boy in the back seat.

The victim was caught in a hail of bullets in the 96th Street and 148th area of Surrey, which left the 4-year-old boy apparently traumatized, but otherwise unharmed.

Police have confirmed the victim is a woman and that her four-year-old son was sitting in the back of the car at the time of the shooting.

RCMP Cpl. Dale Carr of the Integrated Homicide Team (IHIT) said he was "amazed" that the boy was unharmed. "He seems to be doing just fine," he said.

It appears the woman may have been shot in the head.

This incident looks to be the latest in a series of shootings in the Metro Vancouver region, which has alarmed authorities, and prompted the provincial government to add more police and resources to deal with the outbreak of violent gun play.

It comes less than 12 hours after another shooting in Metro Vancouver.

In that incident, shell casings were found at 104th St. and East Whalley Ring Road outside of a strip club in Surrey B.C., just after midnight.

Police say no victims were found at the scene but RCMP stopped a Range Rover riddled with at least four bullet holes in the neighboring community of Langley. Inside a man was shot and taken to hospital. His condition is unknown.

"This has got to stop,'' said Tracy Flamand, whose truck was almost hit by the driverless Cadillac before he jumped out of his vehicle and guided the car off the road toward a safe berth on the sidewalk.

It was the sight of the boy in the rear seat of the Cadillac which prompted him to take action.

When he and a local doctor went over to examine the contents of the Cadallic, they discovered the lifeless body of the woman with two bullet holes in her side. "I pretty much knew she was gone,'' he said.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lions as watchdogs, I hope you are just kidding..

I think the Malays are decendents from those that were banished from Malaya by the British, particularly during the time when the British Resident in Perak was killed.

No. Keeping wildlife is illegal. But back in those days when South Africa recognise Taiwan, rich Taiwanese are known to import the big cats to protect their houses in Taiwan.

Think so, so we have the Cape Malay curry, Pianang Sauce, etc in Cape Town.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man shot dead in east Vancouver home invasion

The Canadian Press
February 17, 2009

METRO VANCOUVER - Hundreds of onlookers gasped in horror Tuesday as ambulances, police vehicles and police lines were set up near East 53rd Avenue and Fraser, where a body lay under a canvas as police interrogated shell-shocked witnesses.

Nazreen Dean said two white men knocked on the door of her brothers'house, asking for two men.

Dean said it was simply a case of mistaken identity and the two white men got the house wrong, but shot at her brothers anyway.

“They were just watching a movie,” said Dean, part of a huge throng gathered on the grounds of the Ebenezer Baptist Church, unable to keep their eyes off the body and the crews of police interviewing a number of witnesses and suspects.

“Someone knocked on the door downstairs and they ignored it.

“Then they knocked on the upstairs, and they answered, and that's when everything went crazy.”

Dean said her 19-year-old brother, Aleem Mohammed, was shot, and her 18-year-old brother Amir gave chase.

According to Dean, Amir managed to wrestle away a gun, and shot one of the two men, whose body remained under a tarp on East 53rd Avenue just west of Fraser Street.

Dean said her brother Aleem was raced to hospital.

“He’s stable,” reported Dean. “They’re operating on him at VGH.”

After a lengthy delay, Vancouver police spokesman Const. Lindsey Houghton addressed a huge media throng with the official police account of the shooting.

“Shortly after 2 p.m., our members responded to a report of a ‘hang-up 9-1-1’ call to a residence in the 6900-block of Fraser St,” said Houghton.

“Officers found a man in his twenties deceased and another man was taken to hospital with undetermined injuries.”

Houghton couldn’t reveal many details of the shooting, but said one suspect is still at large.

“Shots were fired at some point during the incident, but there are no further details at this time,” he said.

“An extensive area search was conducted and police are still looking for at least one suspect.”

Police cordoned off a four-block stretch of Fraser Street as shell-shocked onlookers talked amongst each other and tried to piece together how such a violent event happened in their neighbourhood.

“It's very shocking," said Amarjit Kang, who walked a couple of blocks from his home to see what all the ruckus was about.

“It's a nice neighbourhood. I've lived here for 18 years.

“We live near here. We are scared, too.”

Genaro Medina, a 39-year-old manufacturing plant worker, lives just three doors down from where the body lay on 53rd Avenue.

“I just got off work, and they won’t let me go home,” said Medina, whose house was one of dozens behind police lines. “This is happening every day now — I read my Province this morning.

“This is a quiet area, it’s kind of scary.”

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vancouver now Canada's murder capital, public safety minister says

The Canadian Press
February 17, 2009

METRO VANCOUVER — Twelve shootings in 16 days, including the slaying of a young mother driving with her four-year-old son in the back seat, have many Metro Vancouver residents on edge.

Canada's top cop labelled Metro Vancouver the country's gang capital Tuesday as police identified the young mother killed in a hail of bullets while her four-year-old son rode in the car.

Nicole Marie Alemy was driving her husband's Cadillac in suburban Surrey when she was hit.

The 23-year-old White Rock, B.C., resident's son was unhurt, though traumatized when the car coasted into a tree by the side of the road Monday morning.

Another killing took place Tuesday as federal Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Peter Van Loan met local mayors, police officials and relatives of two innocent victims caught in a gang-style execution that claimed six lives in 2007.

Vancouver police would not confirm details but witnesses told reporters a man was killed and his intended victim wounded in what appeared to be a botched murder attempt at a south Vancouver basement suite.

"Vancouver and British Columbia are unfortunately the focus of the largest number of gun violence in Canada" he said.

RCMP Cpl. Dale Carr of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Alemy was not the registered owner of the vehicle riddled with bullets.

"The registered owner was her husband," he said.

Van Loan said the Conservative government has already done a lot, including funding more police officers, introducing mandatory minimum sentences for gun offences and requiring those charged with serious crimes to prove they should be allowed out on bail - known as reverse onus.

The government's efforts to do more were hampered by opposition party obstruction before the last election, he said.

"We had mandatory prison sentences for drug crimes was one bill that never made it through that parliament," said Van Loan, adding the government intends to reintroduce the legislation.

Canadians need to send a message to politicians that it's time to "rebalance our justice system," Van Loan said.

Liberal public safety critic Mark Holland said the party had agreed to expedite passage of some of the Tories' crime package. But the government became impatient with the Liberal-dominated Senate, then prorogued Parliament and called an election.

The Ontario MP would not commit the Liberals to supporting a fresh crime package without seeing details.

"I don't think we have material objections to stiffer sentences and dealing with the punishment side of crime," said Holland. "But the reality is it's got to be a lot more comprehensive than that."

Van Loan said besides trying to jail more serious criminals, the government is also funding efforts to keep young people out of gangs. But Holland said Van Loan's department has spent less than half of its crime-prevention budget.

Police remained shocked by Monday's shooting, especially its impact on the young child who witnessed it.

"He probably underwent the most horrific thing that a child could ever go through, which is to watch their mother get murdered," said Carr, his voice quivering at times.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man charged for violent home invasion, sex assault in Burnaby

The Canadian Press
February 19, 2009

METRO VANCOUVER — RCMP in Burnaby say a man has been charged in connection with a violent home invasion and sexual assault that occurred late last year.

Jason Robert MacFadden, 20, of Burnaby, is charged with break and enter, robbery, unlawful confinement and sexual assault.

MacFadden was to appear in bail court in Vancouver Thursday.

On Dec. 7 of last year, police were called to the scene of a home invasion in Burnaby. They determined that one woman in the house had been assaulted.

RCMP Cpl. Alexandra Mulvihill said that police believe the attack was random.

The case is still under investigation, and police are asking for help in locating three other suspects — two white males and a dark-skinned male. Mulvihill encouraged people to come forward if they believe they have information, as she said that "neighbourhood canvassing proved to be invaluable" in arresting MacFadden.