• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can we play iPod or notebook on board plane ?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
They often announce that you should switch off all your electronic devices during taking off and landing. On a few occasions, after the plane had taken off and warning lights off, they didn't allow me to use my camera phone.

So what is the international standard on this ?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
They often announce that you should switch off all your electronic devices during taking off and landing. On a few occasions, after the plane had taken off and warning lights off, they didn't allow me to use my camera phone.

How old are u? No i mean seriously.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Does your (camera) phone operate on solar energy or wind power?

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
seriously, if u use a Iphone... just shaft it into your arse and use the ear piece to talk like a US secret agent.

Like to talk so much, u can talk alot better when the plane split into 2... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talked so much, also don't know the right answer. Wanna be condescending at least must have something to offer lah.

I believe some of you are carrying inferior phones where you can't switch off the signal. If the phones are designed with the function where you can switch off the signal, why can't we use it on board ?

Those who don't know the answer please stay away hor. Don't act as if you know, come in and hamtam people. Typical sinkies.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talked so much, also don't know the right answer. Wanna be condescending at least must have something to offer lah.

I believe some of you are carrying inferior phones where you can't switch off the signal. If the phones are designed with the function where you can switch off the signal, why can't we use it on board ?

Those who don't know the answer please stay away hor. Don't act as if you know, come in and hamtam people. Typical sinkies.

The rule is very consistent, albeit not consistently enforced. Any thing that runs on electricity and batteries would have to be turned off. So even if you phone has a airplane mode (which increasing number of smart phones do), it would have to be turned off.

That is why I ask if you phone runs on solar power or wind energy.

Personally, I think it's a ridiculous rule- which explains why some airlines are not very strict about it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do ask the silly questions and you are becoming well known for it. People who completed schooling would know what electronic is. Some superheros assume that is only refers to transmitting devices and if they switch to airplane mode its ok. It is not.

Cabin crew are so fed up with dealing with suakus that they stop bothering. In this game, you can't beat us Chinese. We can be best dress, yet a simple instruction cannot follow. The other ethnic group that can't seem to follow the instructions are those from the middle east.

They won't say camera phone specifically as the rest will laugh at the announcement as 99.9% don't require the such details. Just as they won't say that this message is for human beings.

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
When in the plane and I am using my iPod, I just leave it running in my pocket with the headphones on, and nobody bothers me. If it is my iPhone, I just set it to "airplane mode" and use it as an iPod in the same way.

I do not see what is the big deal using iPods and computers at any time during the flight, even when the plane is taking off or landing. Perhaps the "using electronic devices" on a plane was referring to receiving and transmitting devices such as radios, TVs, cell/satellite-phones, walkie-talkies and Furbie toys.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If electronic devices can cause plane crashes, why are these allowed on board?

A sidetracked but related question: When taking off and landing, all passengers are instructed to lift up their window shuttles, whether day or night. The stewardesses will without fail walk around the whole cabin to ensure that's done. Seems more important than checking for passengers with electronic devices still on. Why?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiya,,,,,,, all electronic transmitting device, like like bluetooth and ladio must be off.

MP3 players, PSP, laptop all can be used after take off/landing but turn off the transmitting device like infra-red/blue tooth and telephone function.

All electronice stuff (incl laptop/netbook/mp3 etc etc) are supposed to turn off when taking off and landing,,,,,,,,,,,,

jw5

Loyal
If electronic devices can cause plane crashes, why are these allowed on board?

A sidetracked but related question: When taking off and landing, all passengers are instructed to lift up their window shuttles, whether day or night. The stewardesses will without fail walk around the whole cabin to ensure that's done. Seems more important than checking for passengers with electronic devices still on. Why?
My guess on the main reason why the shades should be up when the plane is taking off or landing, is that they want people to be able to see in or out in the event there is a bad take off or landing, which may include the plane going off the runway or even crashing, which will mean a rescue is required.
You may argue that in that case, the shades should be up even when the plane is in the air. My guess for this is that they have deemed the probability of something happening in the air as being more remote.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My guess on the main reason why the shades should be up when the plane is taking off or landing, is that they want people to be able to see in or out in the event there is a bad take off or landing, which may include the plane going off the runway or even crashing, which will mean a rescue is required.

Quite right. Actually, there're two main reasons:

1. Except when wilfully induced (i.e. terrorist sabotage) the most technically accident prone (and reasonably remediable) periods are during take-offs and landings. The shuttles are all upped just in case of such accidents, so that cabin crew can see what's outside and how best to respond.

2. Lighting environment and timezone adjustment. That's for landings. Most flights land in different timezones from points of departure that upsets the human internal biological clock. Cabin lights are always dimmed to match the night lights outside during night landings. On long-haul intercontinental flights, there'd a period midflight when passengers are practically forced to sleep with all window shuttles down and lights off. This helps adjustment to new the timezone upon landing.

It helps in sex life as well as general knowledge to have stewardess ex-girlfriend. :biggrin:

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
if phone signals can really cause cockups in the cockpit...they would have banned phones on plane.....

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
with ipod no need pilot

can download pilot app takeoff landing all can

but never say land where in river in sea or on padang

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read before that the mobile phones will screw up the telecom signals on the ground. Why this is so, I dun know. Maybe an industry expert can help.