• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Singapore produce a Michelin fishball noodle store one day?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leo beer is just a rebranded Singha beer. Analogy: Lexus is a rebranded Toyota.
Leo beer a wee bit more than sticker job. Diff segment, more for the masses -cheaper (and possibly faster stairway to heaven). Lexus, Harriet different badge

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Michelin company launched its first guide book in 1900 to encourage road tripping in France, and started anonymously reviewing restaurants by means of a three-star system in 1926.

two michelin brothers, andre and edouard, introduced the star system and french restaurant listings.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These 2 brothers must have been gluttons. No wonder their mascot looks like this

michelinman.jpg

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just had chatterbox chicken rice last week........now price is $27++
lousy standard dropped.....chopped pieces of wings (sans my favourite tips), rice and a bowl of soup with one piece tauhoo inside.
get better quality and value for money along hylam street.

been there a couple time but i never order chicken rice. i find it stupid to pay $30 plus tax for something that can be brought elsewhere at 10% of the price. and i bet the taste wont be less than 10% of what chatterbox can offer.

no sure my mom smoke me or not, she say her friend's hubby was the one who make the chilli for the chicken rice. so if the chilli not make by the chef, then the chef cannot claim the credits for the dish, rite?

been there many times since the ground floor chatterbox time. last went during the recent renovation and got to go all the way to the top of the tower for the chicken rice, very nice view though.
i think the standard drop drastically after it became Meritus Mandarin. got CKT and CTK also if u fancy expensive hawker fare.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
been there many times since the ground floor chatterbox time. last went during the recent renovation and got to go all the way to the top of the tower for the chicken rice, very nice view though.
i think the standard drop drastically after it became Meritus Mandarin. got CKT and CTK also if u fancy expensive hawker fare.

Top of the M.......lol
Remember once when teenanger time wanted to act atas with 2 friends and went there to drink coffee.....checkout the prices......though pricey was within budget ($5 per cup or thereabouts)......enjoyed the ambience then bill came was $30++ (minimum charge of $10 per pax)........wtf! Not enough money.....we started to panic.......my friend calmly told waitress that we did not ask for the bill but instead ordered another 3 cups of coffee.....
We all took turns to use public phone calling all and sundry for SOS (back then no mobile)......finally got my elder brother.....no worries sat back and relax.
1 hour later and 2nd cup coffee finished....still no sign of him.......panic again.......then waiter walked over and said a man in shorts (not allowed to enter due to dress code)....was at the entrance looking for 3 of us (waiter assumed correctly). Went out to take the money and paid....with tips LOL. if my 2 kakis are reading this post......they will know who i am :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same owners and operators thru out. Meritus is to indicate links to sister hotels. Owned by the Liens and the dad was close to both Malaysia and Singapore and was first toq introduce hawker fare to high end customers. He will go to his Bank OUB first and then to the Hotel daily. His threw legendary CNY party at his sprawling estate and would have the best Malay, Indian and Chinese hawker food and desert with stalls setup. Guest will go on diet a few days before the event to wallop big time.

The satay and mee rebus was first class. The routine was to go early, wallop one round, say hi to Lien senior and just before leaving another round. His son Sunny used to run the hotel. After he passed away, the hawker fare started to slide.

OUB was the first to bring in big act concerts as part of their Card programme. Lien senior did not know until his kaki, contacts, lobangs from both sides of the causeway started calling him for concert tickets for their families. They were also the first to give away a Jaquar, BMW and Range Rover as promotional prizes. The guy then became gungho and wiped the floor clean where OCBC which was helmed by Tony Tan who quit cabinet was concerned.

Tony Tan after a few years gave up and returned to cabinet.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you recall the DJ at the Library called Leonard? Later on in life jumped from a Jakarta hotel leaving for 4 kids.

Top of the M.......lol
Remember once when teenanger time wanted to act atas with 2 friends and went there to drink coffee.....checkout the prices......though pricey was within budget ($5 per cup or thereabouts)......enjoyed the ambience then bill came was $30++ (minimum charge of $10 per pax)........wtf! Not enough money.....we started to panic.......my friend calmly told waitress that we did not ask for the bill but instead ordered another 3 cups of coffee.....
We all took turns to use public phone calling all and sundry for SOS (back then no mobile)......finally got my elder brother.....no worries sat back and relax.
1 hour later and 2nd cup coffee finished....still no sign of him.......panic again.......then waiter walked over and said a man in shorts (not allowed to enter due to dress code)....was at the entrance looking for 3 of us (waiter assumed correctly). Went out to take the money and paid....with tips LOL. if my 2 kakis are reading this post......they will know who i am :biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the below deck observation lounge as well......was one of my favourite place to bring dates to. But figure now the view is blocked liao with all the new buidlings around.

Do you recall the DJ at the Library called Leonard? Later on in life jumped from a Jakarta hotel leaving for 4 kids.

KNN! how come u all so familiar with Mandarin hotel? :biggrin: maybe we saw each other before? :p

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Library......I remembered Kasbah and Xanadu (shangs) during that era?
Later Marina Mandrain had a Reading Room......
Sonnie Lien passed away? I think he is still around........he was the good for nothing son disowned by his old man left the hotel to start Penguin Drycleaners.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, much later, part stake sold to Lippo group. Family went separate ways, Sunny after dabling in Vietnam went to US I think. Lawrence Lien, grandson is the NMP who voted against population white paper.

ok, remember reading news about they sold the mandarin hotel to some indon owner.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, came out wrong. Father passed away. Sonnie in the US I think. Lien Ying Chow's sons all got issues. He also sapu one of his son's girlfriend who later became his wife.

Library......I remembered Kasbah and Xanadu (shangs) during that era?
Later Marina Mandrain had a Reading Room......
Sonnie Lien passed away? I think he is still around........he was the good for nothing son disowned by his old man left the hotel to start Penguin Drycleaners.

jw5

Loyal
Sorry, came out wrong. Father passed away. Sonnie in the US I think. Lien Ying Chow's sons all got issues. He also sapu one of his son's girlfriend who later became his wife.

Hey manipulative motherfucker Scroobal, remember when you referred to forummer moolightaffairs as being the driver of the police bus?

Trying to pretend all is forgotten?

No way, you fucking bastard, just like your manipulative and vindictive self. You should go and manipulate your children.