• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can I persuade you all to get dual citizenship?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
the grass is always greener on the other side. sure, being in singapore sucks if you are below the 80% percentile of income earners. but if you make it to the 81st percentile and above (approx $100k/yr), singapore starts to be a wonderful and modern city, situated in the lush south east asia region where nature is but an hour or two away by plane.

bullshit statement. its the 80th percentile that are the likely ones who already have applied for or obtained a foreign PR or citizenship. When u are in the 80th precentile, u have the money and the skills to go anywhere in the world. Mostly likely, they have been around the world already and have seen what other countries offer. That's why many western countries offer an investor or entreprenuer category to attract many of these people. Shit, even Hsien Yang has an Aussie PR. Why take a plane for one or 2 hourse to enjoy nature? Ridiculous notion when most western countries offer nature at their door step, or a short drive away,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anytime bro. You doing the exact same by showing there is indeed an oasis a few kms up north. We all must find out little paradise somewhere.

Thank you for inspiring so many people and continuing being a source of inspiration.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too wondered why he said that.

bullshit statement. its the 80th percentile that are the likely ones who already have applied for or obtained a foreign PR or citizenship. When u are in the 80th precentile, u have the money and the skills to go anywhere in the world. Mostly likely, they have been around the world already and have seen what other countries offer. That's why many western countries offer an investor or entreprenuer category to attract many of these people. Shit, even Hsien Yang has an Aussie PR. Why take a plane for one or 2 hourse to enjoy nature? Ridiculous notion when most western countries offer nature at their door step, or a short drive away,

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Think just for yourself, not for your grandkids or even your kids. The world is changing very fast. I have friends who migrated some 30 years ago to a first world country. His grown-up kids choose to come to Singapore to develop their careers because there was nothing happening where they were brought up and the old man and woman moved back with them. The funny thing is that when you moved from a high asset price country to a low price one, it is essentially a one way street. Moving back won't allow a simple switch of your assets back. Now my friend does not have any asset to give to his kids. They have to start from scratch. You plan for your kids with the move only if you know there is no way they can make it here. But it is like playing the piano. It could be your childhood dream to play the piano but you did not have the chance. But don't force it on your kids. They might hate it. My friend in the above story did not do it for the kids. It was not the fashionable things to do in those days. Another thing: I just came across a report from an Australian source about a week ago. It says that of the new immigrants into Australia, 85% are on some kind of welfare assistance and two-thirds are unemployed. I won't look from this at how good the welfare system is. Rather I look at it from the reality of the environment and wonder how long before the laws have to change. See what is happening in Europe today. The ruling party in Singapore might seem almighty for the past four decades but when its popularity falls below a certain threshold they look really vulnerable.

For everyone of these examples, there are 10 others that show the opposite. Many sinkies enjoy the quality of life intheir adopted country, and there is not enough tea in china to make them come back. Wait until your friend's children start loing their jobs to cheaper FTs and than u see how fast they want to move back.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nice reply. Goes to show how much PAP has indoctrinated the masses into a form of learned helplessness where they swallow PAP's crap hook line and sinker believing Singapore is best without realising that PAP is slowly taking them out of the equation.

Strange how many are taken in by PAP's forked tongues when they call on Singaporeans to trust and follow them like a herd of sheep while on the other proclaim that talented foreign talented individuals are the panacea to the lack of home-grown brain-power.

for the wealthy and elite who are not interested in politics, there's no need to retain sg citizenship anyway. the regime will prostitute themselves to attract former citizens like some of us to visit as honorary citizens. for the top 1% of achievers, we can go anywhere we want, and govs will open their legs wide, bending and inventing laws to keep us. holding multiple citizenships such as euro, u.s., canadian, will be much better than keeping an sg passport. who the fuck wants to live in sg permanently anyway when the world is our oyster? i can only tolerate 2 weeks in sg. 1 more week and i'll have to check in at imh like the rest of sbf forumers here. sg is a place for the demented, schizo and mentally unstable. you can't tell the difference because you live in it and are part of the craziness. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need bro.

There was a chap in the old neighbourhood who disappeared after going to NZ. An O level chap who decided to remain illegally and getting by doing odd jobs and selling things as a street vendor. He took advantage of the occasional amnesty and now doing very well. Its risk takers that make the difference.

If welders and panel beaters can do it why not the rest of us.

its easy if u got the moolah$.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you know the game. You were dealing with migrants before. Why don't you chip in.
Actually Scroobal made it sound troublesome. Just buy an air ticket and hire a lawyer. You're free as a bird and the world is your oyster.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Moreover, if one still has an axe to grind with PAP, then your holidays in SG can be considered as part of the minimum residential requirements for vote eligibility.

You don't need to put up with crap from the PAP running dog ministers and still cast a vote come election to make yourself heard.

This is bad advice, If you want to move to another country and take up PR there or citizenship there, you must go all in. Its not tekum tekum time or I will still keep my singapore passport just in case time. People who do not do this are more likely to fail in their adopted country. Why? Because they always treat their singapore passport as an escape clause and safety net. If u give up your sinkie citizenship, not only will u start with more money due to your ability to withdraw your CPF, u are forced to make it in your new country. There is no turning back. U will have to do what it takes to succeed in your new country.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The true migrants are those who make the one way street. The rest who talk of migrating and keeping a ticket back are just Sinkies, who cannot decide.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, migration is not for everyone. Its a mindset to better yourself. If it was easy, we all be buying ticket and going for it.

I tell people to give themselves 2 years. Do not be impatient. Do not find excuses. Be strong.

I have been encouraging people over 12 years online. Sam is another. There have been others who chip in regularly. We have seen the end of the rainbow and we have helped others see the end of the rainbow as well.

I have been all over the world and I have seen the good, bad and the ugly. The first world is exactly that.

You can work in 20 countries on a work, visited 30 countries on a tourist visa and it is completely different from making a new country your home.

Think just for yourself, not for your grandkids or even your kids. The world is changing very fast. I have friends who migrated some 30 years ago to a first world country. His grown-up kids choose to come to Singapore to develop their careers because there was nothing happening where they were brought up and the old man and woman moved back with them. The funny thing is that when you moved from a high asset price country to a low price one, it is essentially a one way street. Moving back won't allow a simple switch of your assets back. Now my friend does not have any asset to give to his kids. They have to start from scratch. You plan for your kids with the move only if you know there is no way they can make it here. But it is like playing the piano. It could be your childhood dream to play the piano but you did not have the chance. But don't force it on your kids. They might hate it. My friend in the above story did not do it for the kids. It was not the fashionable things to do in those days. Another thing: I just came across a report from an Australian source about a week ago. It says that of the new immigrants into Australia, 85% are on some kind of welfare assistance and two-thirds are unemployed. I won't look from this at how good the welfare system is. Rather I look at it from the reality of the environment and wonder how long before the laws have to change. See what is happening in Europe today. The ruling party in Singapore might seem almighty for the past four decades but when its popularity falls below a certain threshold they look really vulnerable.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That used to be the old world. Dual Citizenship began in the last 2 decades. As QXD has stated, you use various options.

The true migrants are those who make the one way street. The rest who talk of migrating and keeping a ticket back are just Sinkies, who cannot decide.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
At my point in life, I am beginning to see the stress levels between my kids and their cousins back in SG. No need to wait for their working years to see that they are losing out to FTs, I have a nephew whose parents spend at least a $2000 a month in tuition, swim lessons, piano and violin lessons, dancing, tennis and even golf just for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses and top 10 in class.

The poor kid has no life and no social graces; there is no emphasis in building his self-confidence, encouraging his sense of curiosity and thus suppresses his enthusiasm for self-discovery, becoming no more than an automaton filled with information but not understanding why it is important and how to apply it.

I won't be surprised to see the day when a SG kid can give you a 10000 word essay on how to build a paper kite but has no idea where to get the materials to actually build one...

In SG, if the PAP dogs can't put a KPI on something, it's probably not worth knowing, and this is how children will suffer from the lack of soft skills which carries on to disgruntled adults who cannot present themselves well, convey ideas effectively and instill people's confidence in them.

Which is why places like STOMP are filled with chickenshits who have no guts to stand up for themselves or others, satisfied to take photos to complain on STOMP, and walk away thinking that justice has been done.

For everyone of these examples, there are 10 others that show the opposite. Many sinkies enjoy the quality of life intheir adopted country, and there is not enough tea in china to make them come back. Wait until your friend's children start loing their jobs to cheaper FTs and than u see how fast they want to move back.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Most 1st World countries are in dire need for blue collar workers. It is not necessary to have an MBA to qualify, even a good chef commands a good salary.

You make a great point. People may not realize it now but the G7 and other highly industrialized societies of the world will be facing a slowly growing shortage of SKILLED labour in the years to come.

It will become easier to emigrate as the years go by.

This thread by Scroobal got me thinking very hard. I think its time to get something started before I grow too old. New Zealand will be my first choice. Don't ask me why. Maybe the thought of being surrounded by sheep will remind me of home :-)

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal said:
That used to be the old world. Dual Citizenshiptget began in the last 2 decades. As QXD has stated, you use various options.

Please read my posts carefully. I said not many can afford to have dual citizenship because they have to liquidate assets in one country and re-invest it in another. It will truly be a re-settlement for them with little prospect of returning. To persuade them otherwise is misleading. For those who can afford, they can do anything or do nothing at all as someone has said Singapore is the playground of the rich, which I believe is true, at least for the region.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The dark side is strong in that one...

Reminds me of so many cases I've heard where a SG Citizen is warned of the grave consequences of renunciation while a PR doing the same to his visa is worded as if they were being begged to stay.

That used to be the old world. Dual Citizenship began in the last 2 decades. As QXD has stated, you use various options.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice reply. Goes to show how much PAP has indoctrinated the masses into a form of learned helplessness where they swallow PAP's crap hook line and sinker believing Singapore is best without realising that PAP is slowly taking them out of the equation.
Strange how many are taken in by PAP's forked tongues when they call on Singaporeans to trust and follow them like a herd of sheep while on the other proclaim that talented foreign talented individuals are the panacea to the lack of home-grown brain-power.

folks in sg who are stuck in the well have not truly seen and live life far away from the well, although they may have taken short trips to neighboring countries for vacation or weekends. the frame of reference is always sg this and sg that. they have little to no clue about skiing in banff, snorkeling off kauai, cruising the mediterranean, dining in yountville, drinking macchiato in the countryside of tuscany, and smelling two-ocean breeze in capetown. for the wealthy and talented, all these can be done within the same calendar year. as my 3rd vacation is coming up this year, i'll be coming by sg for a quick stop, but the objective is cameron highlands. will be stopping by taiwan for a quickie, and then off again. will be back in the bay area before Christmas, just in time for ski season to kick off in tahoe. an hour drive away and i'm back in my usual haunt....carmel and a game of golf nearby at pebble beach. all these within a week. sinkies don't know what they are missing.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sorry, but there are at least a half a million migrant FTs in Singapore who would beg to differ, once they have the time to look away from their jobs that could have gone to a Singaporean.

Interesting how your idea of migration is more like seeking refugee status or asylum.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read your posts very clearly. That is why I stated - "Do not find excuses. Be strong."

I have heard all the excuses including "my dog cannot pass quarantine". The best one I heard about 3 years ago is that "my parents Golden Jubliee will be around in a few years time and all my siblings and their spouses want to organise a surprise event." I told the woman you are not going to the moon.

Its all in the mind.

Please read my posts carefully. I said not many can afford to have dual citizenship because they have to liquidate assets in one country and re-invest it in another. It will truly be a re-settlement for them with little prospect of returning. To persuade them otherwise is misleading. For those who can afford, they can do anything or do nothing at all as someone has said Singapore is the playground of the rich, which I believe is true, at least for the region.

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You make a great point. People may not realize it now but the G7 and other highly industrialized societies of the world will be facing a slowly growing shortage of SKILLED labour in the years to come.

It will become easier to emigrate as the years go by.

This thread by Scroobal got me thinking very hard. I think its time to get something started before I grow too old. New Zealand will be my first choice. Don't ask me why. Maybe the thought of being surrounded by sheep will remind me of home :-)

I know so that those who attained 'O' Levels and even less, many went through courses to learn a skill. For example, an air conditioning mechanic having many years hands-on experience can easily get work here for they are in demand. An electrician, a plumber, a cook, these people can easily find jobs no matter which country they are in. In 3rd world countries, they are not paid well, but in countries like Australia, Canada and New Zealand, I am sure they may be better paid than even a U Grad. I had a friend who is a chef and he was paid AUSD8000.00 to work in a hotel in Australia.