• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

can a poor person migrate?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
find a job in the country you want to migrate to?

for example, cook Chinese or Indian or Malay food?

many PRC immigrants started off buy borrowing money from relatives and friends..

and they can survive for ten-20 years already...some even managed to buy their own houses already..

you have lost your Chinese survival spirits...remember you ancestors were migrants too!

have a spirit of adventure!! explore your unknowns! one more thing, very important!! have faith in God!!!!! because He opens door!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35YivWEs3zw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35YivWEs3zw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

" ... started off by borrowing money ... "

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree with these statements a lot

our chinese survival spirit and the fact that our ancestors were migrants are the strongest assets we have

the ability to set sail to south-east asia, across treacherous seas, to face a new country with courage, hard work and perserverance are qualities that we chinese (no racism intended) need to recover - it is there within us and such situations are actually blessings in disguise

instead of looking outwards and trying to compare australia with canada, we can look inwards and compare our latent chinese roots with our present singaporeans roots - one which dare to face the world with courage, and the other kiasu, kiasi, kiasai.

still, i would say migration is not for everyone

but if you really want to, don't let your poverty stop you

This spirit died long ago in the 80.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Most the immigrants I've come across in Auckland are relatively poor. They arrive on blue collar work visas and work bloody hard with the intention of gaining residency.

Many of them succeed because of the glowing testimonials employers provide.

The tradesman who did my roof last year comes from Croatia. He told me he arrived 6 years ago with nothing more than a suitcase and the desire to succeed.

The guy who reads my meter every month is from PRC. He used to be car mechanic in China. He reads meters because it's a half day job and he can earn extra income in the afternoon freelancing as a mobile mechanic.

Only singaporeans try to make emigration virtually risk free... ie job offer... sufficient funds... schools admissions settled and so on.

The rest of the world often set sail armed with nothing more than a good work ethic and a spirit of adventure.

Well said!!

I have seen some forummers who, after being given all the information they need, including how close the is a bus stop they are alighting from is to the nearest carpark(read: within 5 metres) can still question me as to safe is the 5 metres!!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Most the immigrants I've come across in Auckland are relatively poor. They arrive on blue collar work visas and work bloody hard with the intention of gaining residency.

The tradesman who did my roof last year comes from Croatia. He told me he arrived 6 years ago with nothing more than a suitcase and the desire to succeed.

The guy who reads my meter every month is from PRC. He used to be car mechanic in China. He reads meters because it's a half day job and he can earn extra income in the afternoon freelancing as a mobile mechanic.

Only singaporeans try to make emigration virtually risk free... ie job offer... sufficient funds... schools admissions settled and so on.

The rest of the world often set sail armed with nothing more than a good work ethic and a spirit of adventure.

Well said!!

I have seen some forummers who, after being given all the information they need, including how close the is a bus stop they are alighting from is to the nearest carpark(read: within 5 metres) can still question me as to safe is the 5 metres!!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

And these are exactly the kind of migrants Australia need too.
People with the "can-do" spirit.

Just make sure no Serbians around when the Croatian is working.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
And these are exactly the kind of migrants Australia need too.
People with the "can-do" spirit.

Just make sure no Serbians around when the Croatian is working.

Yes-yes ! axe168 can do & so can all..

Now trying to do the patching and plastering of cornices and wall cracks..

Sub-bies completed the security and ceiling fans..

Yahoo ! can enjoy at my ceiling fans during free time !

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.
In 1981, I arrived in Canada, with 2 suit cases and $1,500.00. I started work four days after I arrived.

Almost like "Shanghai Tang" movie, Chow Yuen Fatt arrived in Shanghai
with a small suitcase containing his toothbrush and a change of clothing.:biggrin:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
when u have a pr, do this;
- fly to a big city.
- rent a room.
- apply for TFN, bank account, mobile prepaid, driving licence.
- look for jobs using free internet access in the library.
- eat cheaply.
- seek centrelink's advices.
- do all sort of odd jobs and look for a good one. the hokkien saying; "ride on a buffalo to look for a stallion."

if possible, start a small busines to sell trinkets at the local flea markets. that will allow u to earn some small cash to pay for rent and food.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
- seek centrelink's advices.

Should be " seek centrelink's ADVICE.".

"Advice" is a non countable noun; you do not add an "s" to make it plural.

"Advice" is like "Rice". You say... "Please pass me the Rice." You don't say "Please pass me the rices" because "Rice", like "advice", is a non countable noun.

There are many other examples. To test your knowledge of non countable nouns, go to English Language Quiz - Countable or Non-countable Nouns (I-TESL-J) and take the test.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately you have the misfortune of being born a Sporean. If you are one of those despised pinoy, you have a very good chance emigrating to Canada. Gov't of Canada is allowing its pinoy/pinay citizens or PRs to sponsor relatives affected by the typhoon to go to Canada for a temporary stay which is prelude to getting a PR
Lucky Pinoy unlucky Sinkee

may I know how can a poor person migrate?thks.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really, being born a singaporean is one of the luckiest event in this part of the world, if you consider previous years

Today, being born a malaysian is one of the luckiest event in this part of the world.

A poor malaysian, if he is pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies, will be given the red carpet treatment in Singapore.

A poor singaporean on the other hand.....well, like you say, even a poor filipino is luckier than a poor singaporean

Nonetheless, luck is what you make of life