• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying An Electric Bicycle

soccernet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope that forummers can share their experience on electric bicycles. Where can we buy good electric bicycles with strong backup services in Singapore? Price? Lifetime and cost of batteries? Which are the better brands? How about the foldable ones with Lithium batteries? Should I buy from China?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Electric bike price $500~$1K depending on model and made.
Buying in China will cost less than $300 that is the price alone not included shipment.
All are power by almost same type/size battery that is 12V DC. Some use 3 battery that will be 36V and some use 4 battery that will be 48V.
Talking about support all electric bike are almost same. Power by one motor so any electric bike shop can repair unless no spare part like motor(but very unlikely spoil).
Tyre/brake pad/chain/sprocket all are almost standard part.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i notice more and more in geylang, they are selling and using a electric bike. not allow to use on road of singapore, but i seen many people using it.

9EBDB0BB-7B8D-4EFE-A102-B1A5DB5A4D84.jpg

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Watch out for the availability of the electric control unit, which is a small circuit board, this one normally spoil.

2. Motor is quite standard, need servicing after approx. 1.5yrs to 2 yrs because of carbon buildup inside. Percentage of failure depends on OEM manufacturers quality, normally 5% failure rate after one year. Can be repaired if electrican knows his stuff. Life span about 4 to 5 years, normal wear. Normal practice is one to one exchange form the service shops.

Can reach speeds up to 50km/hr or more. Thats why banned on road. With that kind of speed capability, classified as motorbike by LTA (if my RAM serves me right:biggrin:)

3. The rest are cables and soldered joints that can be easily repaired.

4. I recommend one with simple skeleton design, not those that look like scooter.

5. Ask what are the safety features of the product. e.g. Rider may have to paddle a few cycles before the electric supply kicks in to provide power to the motors. This is to prevent bobo kings who accidentially turn the throttle and surge forward into passing traffic at traffic junctions etc.

Thats where the ECU mentioned in item 1 is critical.

6. If you drop the bike, fiberglass body may break, that's why I recommend one with simple design.

7. Any simple manufacturing setup can manufacture this class of products, so dont be surprise, manufacturer close shop after afew years.

It is just buying the items and putting them together, with some simple sizing of the electronics.

Again, built in safety features is important.

I hope that forummers can share their experience on electric bicycles. Where can we buy good electric bicycles with strong backup services in Singapore? Price? Lifetime and cost of batteries? Which are the better brands? How about the foldable ones with Lithium batteries? Should I buy from China?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i would never touch electric.
i am petrol head.
i only get thing that run petrol.
i am addicted to oil.
just i think more and more people breaking singapore law using electric bike on road.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have an electric bike from a popupar China brand "Xin Ri":

http://www.xinri.com/

Not bad but dunno whether you can buy it in Singapore.

I love those beef up Vespa lookalike electric bikes. Very quiet and very cool. Cost around RMB4000

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think recently traffic police quite strict with cyclists,saw recently a lady on electric bike was stopped by TP in Geylang...

wind15

This is interesting, I saw many shops in Geylang, about 3 shops, 1 shop at Sungei road, the one at geylang selling at $550 from Taiwan, not sure how is the quality, also many claimed they are LTA approved.
In China they sell for RMB 1,000 but shipping cost can be high

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is interesting, I saw many shops in Geylang, about 3 shops, 1 shop at Sungei road, the one at geylang selling at $550 from Taiwan, not sure how is the quality, also many claimed they are LTA approved.
In China they sell for RMB 1,000 but shipping cost can be high

LoL I bet those hookers at all Lorongs are MOM approved too ! :smile:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wah!! sum of dis bicycle 6 more fierce then motorcycle...

See see can... buy better not... ctr attraction for TP...:biggrin::biggrin:

xb700li-exploded.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.brammo.com/home/

The Brammo is an electric Motorcycle & the future. In the US it sells for US$8,000.

Don't expect the Spore authorities to approve it for local use because it threatens the $$$ they get from the taxes they get from petrol sales

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
before your bike is up for service, it will probably be stolen. so no need to think about its quality.