• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News! 200 SMRT bus drivers went on strike!

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AAnd then it happened a restaurant supervisor, a young Singapore chap stabbed to death in the kitchen by PRC cook. Also happened in printing company in Bt Merah over of all things , no OT.

alamak! suddenly i worry about besotted! skali he kena chopped by his china worker!!! :(

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies will strike when there is nothing much to lose. Nowadays most still have a flat. Although times are getting harder, it has not reach a breaking point as yet.

For the PRC drivers, totally different. They stay in dorms, have little assets here. Salary is not fantastic, an dcan't save much anyway. Every day have to work for long hours, and after work, back to crammed dorm with no family life to speak of. If not happy, can always return to China. No lack of jobs for bus or truck drivers.

i dont know why must we reach the breaking pt to effect changes??? why can't we just vote them out before we gotta resort to such measure???

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i dont know why must we reach the breaking pt to effect changes??? why can't we just vote them out before we gotta resort to such measure???

If you vote the PAP out, you have to vote someone else in. Everyone knows that the opposition clowns will only make things worse.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Appreciate the insight bro. Spoke to a chap who like you has been over there for quite a while - exact same comment. Now that you are saying I am convinced.

Years ago, SIA had to abandon their pioneer batch of trained PRC Stewardess for the problems they caused. Was told that some senior staff even feared murder. And then it happened a restaurant supervisor, a young Singapore chap stabbed to death in the kitchen by PRC cook. Also happened in printing company in Bt Merah over of all things , no OT.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: mistake they made was thinking all are like sinkies - timid , coward , kiasi and kiasu , easily intimidated.

moral of the story : don't mass with anyone other than a sinkie. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That was not a strike. It was merely a refusal to work. There's a huge difference.

We are playing with technicalities.." a rose, is a rose, by any other name". I am displeased with my boss, no getting me increment & bouses I want, My Malaysian colleagues gets more, I come in to office, "refuse to work"..is that a refusal to work or on strike?. If I stay at home, I refuse to go to work, refuse to call my boss, unless I get what I want...24 hours I do not make a call...I get the boot, automatically, under the law.

Am I refusing to work or am I on strike!!:p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Start making a Chinese version of this song and sing it to the striking Tiong workers.

[video=youtube;dG6-m90Wyos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6-m90Wyos[/video]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Excellent point. - it has been the old man's formula - making sure that we do not reach the tipping point. Unlike Singaporeans, they got nothing to lose.

One very obvious thing about the overseas PRC mentality is their sense of entitlement when outside their country. PRCs are not stupid people and they know that communism had robbed them of opportunities for the past 63 years. That's one generation of living under planned economy and time wasted in the race for wealth accumulation.

When they leave home to seek a better life, they have no time for etiquette/social norms/guidelines/codes of conduct/rules/laws.... Only want to make back what their parents have missed out on.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When they leave home to seek a better life, they have no time for etiquette/social norms/guidelines/codes of conduct/rules/laws.... Only want to make back what their parents have missed out on.

And that is why Tiong prostitutes are such a valued export commodity coming out of China.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you vote the PAP out, you have to vote someone else in. Everyone knows that the opposition clowns will only make things worse.

everyone know? confirm? double confirm and chopped? bo bao, anyone is better than pap now, even a road sweeper i will give him my vote.

gz0707

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent point. - it has been the old man's formula - making sure that we do not reach the tipping point. Unlike Singaporeans, they got nothing to lose.

if there is a huge crash, starting from the euro or US zones, this will trigger off a domino effect here. The foreigners here will have no choice but to go home or raise a ruckus here. Locals who are laid off now have no means to settle credit card bills, what more large property loans, then they will have nothing to lose. We will see the Greek style protests.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: SMRT confirms that 60 of the 102 drivers involved in a wage protest on Monday did not show up for work on Tuesday.

A statement from SMRT says that some 60 drivers "did not turn up for work in the morning, some of whom have valid medical reasons."

SMRT adds that some bus services may have been affected on Tuesday morning as a result, and it has activated other drivers to assist.

"We continue to keep our communications open with the Service Leaders, and are also working with the relevant authorities to find an amicable resolution," says the statement.

According to TODAY tweets, police are at the SMRT's rented dormitory for its drivers in Woodlands and two police cars are spotted.

The tweets also quoted an SMRT source as saying that no arrests have been made and that those who do not turn up for work on Tuesday will be sacked.

An SMRT source was also quoted by Today as saying that if workers do not have a valid reason, they will be referred to higher management as it's a sit-in and not a law and order problem. The spokesman also adds that no arrests will be made and that police are only on standby.

According to TODAY tweet, NTUC deputy director for industrial relations Desmond Choo was earlier seen entering the dormitory compound.

The mobile clinic has left the dormitory compound, according to TODAY tweet, and there has been no other activity.

- CNA/ck

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: SMRT confirms that 60 of the 102 drivers involved in a wage protest on Monday did not show up for work on Tuesday.

A statement from SMRT says that some 60 drivers "did not turn up for work in the morning, some of whom have valid medical reasons."

SMRT adds that some bus services may have been affected on Tuesday morning as a result, and it has activated other drivers to assist.

"We continue to keep our communications open with the Service Leaders, and are also working with the relevant authorities to find an amicable resolution," says the statement.

According to TODAY tweets, police are at the SMRT's rented dormitory for its drivers in Woodlands and two police cars are spotted.

The tweets also quoted an SMRT source as saying that no arrests have been made and that those who do not turn up for work on Tuesday will be sacked.

An SMRT source was also quoted by Today as saying that if workers do not have a valid reason, they will be referred to higher management as it's a sit-in and not a law and order problem. The spokesman also adds that no arrests will be made and that police are only on standby.

According to TODAY tweet, NTUC deputy director for industrial relations Desmond Choo was earlier seen entering the dormitory compound.

The mobile clinic has left the dormitory compound, according to TODAY tweet, and there has been no other activity.

- CNA/ck

why the ah tiong so stupid. go China embassy to ask for help lah.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm talking about strikes and other drastic actions. Strike in sg is heavily penalised, so it requires enough people with nothing to lose to conduct one.

40% of sinkies already voted opposition, at the rate the pap is favoring the rich, the next round is going to be very dicey. Pinky seemed to really want to turn the tide right after last election, but totally lost steam by now.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm talking about strikes and other drastic actions. Strike in sg is heavily penalised, so it requires enough people with nothing to lose to conduct one.

40% of sinkies already voted opposition, at the rate the pap is favoring the rich, the next round is going to be very dicey. Pinky seemed to really want to turn the tide right after last election, but totally lost steam by now.

Steam is the right world, i'm sure the kahkias in charge of this is feeling that right now

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And that is why Tiong prostitutes are such a valued export commodity coming out of China.

Remember the Prc pros had a bad rep for poor service not so long ago? Once supply was increased and competition stiffened, service improved.

Only money talks to these people. Nothing else.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

so be it.
for those who has been in the receiving end , what is there to lose ?

only those dickheads like you who benefit from this kind of situation will vouch that it is good.

try exchange your position with those who has to pick drink cans and cardboards for a living. :(:(:(

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is simple economics.

If the wage differentials were huge (like in the early days of the FT policy), this will not have happened. As rational economic agents, the PRC drivers would have weighed the cost of going on strike and decided that they were still better off accepting the less favorable conditions because it was still much better than what they could have gotten back home.

This is happening because wage differentials have narrowed to the point where the PRC drivers do not fear deportation. In absolute terms, the salary gap might still be huge. However if you take into account employment agent fees, cost of living in Singapore etc, the gap narrows so that there is no longer any fear of being deported.

Moving forward, the wage differential will continue narrow. And with each narrowing, we come closer to the day of economic reckoning for the house of cards built by the the PAP.

This is PAP greed turning in on itself.