• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bangras Occupied Entire Aircon CC During WC Telecast, Leaving SGs Fretting Outside!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]The World Cup euphoria at Elias CC[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
July 7th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

For the past few weeks, the soccer mania fever is sweeping across the land like nobody’s business. This once in 4 years World Cup Soccer is getting on every one’s nerves. They say that this is the most watched sporting game in planet earth with billions glued to the box or keeping track via newspapers, radio and internet. Even the Olympic Games do not garner such an immense interest. It is the time where nations pit against each other in the field for glory and honor in a fair game witnessed by billions across the globe. It is the time where glory is scored and history is made. The sweet victory of the winners and the despair of the vanquished clearly demonstrated on the expressions of the players and their supporters as the exhilarating World Cup drama unfolds before our eyes. It’s the only single sporting event that cuts across all barriers of race, color, creed or boundaries where sportsmen compete ruthlessly for fame and immortality. As it is, so many surprises and unexpected hiccups already happened in this historic event.

Elias_CC_WC.jpg
World Cup nite at Elias CC

Back to home ground, there is a legion of faithful die-hard soccer fans losing sleep over the game. The time difference between the place of action and us when watching the live telecast upsets our routine clock work. Needless to say, some take leave or even call in sick when they are too tired to work the next day. Whatever it is, I don’t watch any of the games at all. In fact, I don’t watch television or read the print newspapers. I only keep track of news on the internet and just read books when I’m free. According to friends, I’m quite a boring person really. I only watch the final when the best two teams slug it out for the World Cup. That will be the only game I’ll watch. It seems that my prediction is coming true. I bet with my buddy James that Argentina will take the World Cup. Let’s hope I’ll win a couple of beer from James. He’s placing his hope on Brazil.

Knowing that I don’t watch those games until the last game, my mentor and neighbor Alan Taxi – AT, keep asking me to drive for him especially when his favorite teams are playing. I’ve not got any driving assignment recently except for the occasional relief whenever one of the taxi drivers at EM decides to take off. I usually oblige AT whenever he requested me to relief him on the night shift.

Together with some of the kakis at EM, they would watch the games at Elias Community Centre badminton hall. He would be so excited that he would keep whatsapping me which team was leading and the crowd size at the CC. Initially, the CC welcomed everyone. But lately due to overwhelming demand, the CC started to restrict soccer fans to about 650 persons. At one time, there were more than a thousand fans inside the air-conditioned hall in the CC. Due to safety reasons, the CC decided to cap the viewers at about 650.

I came to know about the restriction only on Sat early morning when I saw AT and few others walking restlessly outside the CC at EM. I was taking a short driving break then about to ferry Smelly back from EM when I saw AT. I asked him why was he not inside the CC watching the exciting match between Germany and France. He sheepishly told me that he could not enter the hall to watch the game due to “full house”. He was late to get a ticket for the game. It’s so cruel to him. He could only sit around aimlessly outside the CC fantasying his favorite German team in action.

Most of the residents including myself who don’t bother to watch the games feel that the CC is doing a great job by screening the World Cup soccer games to residents in the air-conditioned hall with free bottles of mineral water sponsored by Singapore Pools. In fact, the costs of the screening also sponsored by Singapore Pools. Unlike four years ago, many places now do not screen the soccer games due to exorbitant costs. Not even one coffee shop in Pasir Ris estate is screening the games. I heard that it is also quite expensive to subscribe to the package of games. As such, many die-hard soccer fans in the neighborhood flock to the CC to watch the free games.

Now my question is whether the CC is catering to all soccer fans or residents only? According to AT, foreign workers from the faraway dormitories at Tampines Link near to Ikea even walk all the way to the CC to watch the games. After all, it’s cosy with air-condition plus free mineral bottles of water. Since it is Pasir Ris Community Centre, shouldn’t it cater primarily to Pasir Ris residents only? We feel that residents should be given priority first. If there is not enough places for residents or locals, why should we extend the hospitality to foreigners? Do we owe it to them this favor? To admit viewers on a first come first serve basis is not quite practical in this instance. Look at some of the residents such as AT and his buddy Johnny Cash who could not get places in the “full house” hall at the CC ended up wandering listlessly with glum faces.

The other solution is to screen it in the open car park under a tent where everybody is able to watch the games like they used to do it for the EPL games before. I think that will be ideal where everyone gets a chance to watch whether you are a resident or a foreigner. Every one will be happy watching the games together. They could scream and openly cheer their favorite teams. The sense of camaraderie and esprit de corps is priceless. Imagine foreigners and locals enjoying themselves in the excitement of the games.

Even better if they could screen indoor in the hall and simultaneously screen it outside in the open car park within the CC compound. No one will be deprived of watching this world wide phenomenon. The screening at Robertson Quay and Hong Lim CC are good examples to emulate in future World Cup telecast.

In appreciation of what those foreign workers have been contributing to our economy, we do not mind them watching the games with us together but definitely NOT at the expense of us residents being lock-out in the games due to their overwhelming numbers. Surprising, we did not notice any PRCs amongst them.

Let me make it clear that I’m not xenophobia. I’m merely reporting the facts. I’m stating what I observed. Again, I feel that the CC is doing a great job organizing free live screening of the once in four-year mother of all sporting events – the World Cup soccer games. Many really appreciate the generous gesture but they (residents) – like in so many other things in our own country will have to compete with the foreigners, even in this instance watching soccer games in our own community centre. I guess that’s life here and we better get used to this reality.

Gintai_昇泰

* The author blogs at Gintai.Wordpress.com.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Bangras Occupied Entire Aircon CC During WC Telecast, Leaving SGs Fretting Outsid

Alamak, first come first serve is fair la. Skies should go very early to chop place.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Bangras Occupied Entire Aircon CC During WC Telecast, Leaving SGs Fretting Outsid

No football no prata they will riot hor. Sinkies please siam one side for people with balls.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Once WC is over, PA will hold press conference telling us the success of their initiative. Bet on this sure win.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal

then tell them off there and then. write what cowardly letter?

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exactly. did he expect someone to give him special rights, ie like the "native" people up north?

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal

I dont care if banglas watch, only worried about the smell.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is now their rights as they are treated with utmost respect n sensitivities........ sgians now no class citizens per LHL n cronies

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Exactly. did he expect someone to give him special rights, ie like the "native" people up north?

He is son of the land, & it was a privilege to serve National Service to protect the "darkie"..mah!...sons of the land, must sit in AC...:rolleyes:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Sinkies are stupid. All they have to do is shout "Singapore immigration, all foreign workers show their work permit NOW". U will see many Banglas vacate the premises immediately.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Did this fucking nigger write and entire essay just to bitch he couldn't get a seat. Comeon you know who pap likes right?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not only Pasir Ris lah, fucking Ponggol CC also lah. As long as it belongs to the clown Teo Chee Hong, Janil Butohcherry and gang, you can be sure Sinkies are placed last.

I should have broken the glass that night for the fire alarm and sprinkler.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not only Pasir Ris lah, fucking Ponggol CC also lah. As long as it belongs to the clown Teo Chee Hong, Janil Butohcherry and gang, you can be sure Sinkies are placed last.

I should have broken the glass that night for the fire alarm and sprinkler.

Better to make 999 call. Tell them bomb somewhere in building.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Better to make 999 call. Tell them bomb somewhere in building.

Just go in front and announce there is a whole bunch of Pinay bitches in heat outside waiting for them. There will be many empty seats immediately.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

leehsienloongpointingfingers_zpsefb36004.jpg

Must I repeat myself that Stinkapore belongs to everyone except the Stinkees themselves? *chey*

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why are they watching soccer? They should be watching cricket games.

Next time, no NRIC = no entry. The air wouldn't stink either.

Unfortunately, I think this is the beginning of 'let's give the Bangla/Ah Neh workers more welfare and keep them happy, lest they riot again'. The plan is laid bare in the Little India riot COI report.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why joint the low life shit skin, crampped yourself in the smelly cesspit watching WC. Go to any cruise ships you can beside watching WC, beers are also on the house. After the football match, bring the female gambler back to you cabin and put your balls between her 2 posts.

Alamak, first come first serve is fair la. Skies should go very early to chop place.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm more concerned about safety-if these workers watch from 3 or 4 am , won't they be sleepy the next day?

Will it be potentially dangerous if they are working in construction sites or handling chemicals/doing hotworks?
Imagine a SBS driver going without sleep watching the world cup and driving buses the very next morning!