• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Attitudes to adopt prior to migration

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow. My favourite observation is the type of clothes they wear despite having migrated donkey years ago. Branded, nothing close to the locals and when they gather for coffee, they are all dress alike especially the jackets.

I seen this amongst americans and Singaporeans who have the habit of buying clothes on their trips back home.

Haha.. my wife noticed it too.. This is why wifey encourage me highlight my hair and be different.. Our suburb's frz wear rather trendy stuff, we dine together once in a while..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its so simple. - just buy clothes in any department store in the country that you are in.

The American school in Singapore has a chap in Holland Village that imports all sports clothes including for sports where clothes are readily available here.

Haha.. my wife noticed it too.. This is why wifey encourage me highlight my hair and be different.. Our suburb's frz wear rather trendy stuff, we dine together once in a while..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my opinion, some just need to think for themselves and ask questions that are open ended. Shed the trait of Sgean tat accept every answer as the gospel truth.

At every home open, I try to avoid seeing a certain kind of (esp female) Singaporean.

The type "Hey, you from Singapore right." "When you open your mouth, I know" "I am a property investor" Then, she starts talking in Hokkien.

My goodness, she does not have to announce that ... right. My response is "Do I know you?"

I know of some property agents who will make straight line for people like her. The smarter ones will not bother, these people cannot commit.

What I hate most is when they start to get friendly and ask for advice or dig into your background.

What I have learnt is to go out for a smoke, then return later to view the property in peace.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
At every home open, I try to avoid seeing a certain kind of (esp female) Singaporean.

The type "Hey, you from Singapore right." "When you open your mouth, I know" "I am a property investor" Then, she starts talking in Hokkien.

My goodness, she does not have to announce that ... right. My response is "Do I know you?"

I know of some property agents who will make straight line for people like her. The smarter ones will not bother, these people cannot commit.

What I hate most is when they start to get friendly and ask for advice or dig into your background.

What I have learnt is to go out for a smoke, then return later to view the property in peace.

I do not have to deal with similar issues, because I do not have any Singaporean friends in Toronto.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not have to deal with similar issues, because I do not have any Singaporean friends in Toronto.

Reminds of a SG 'Ah Soh' in Christchurch who was trying (hard sell approach) to get fellow ex-Singaporeans to order her fishballs(SG Manufactured), roti prata(NTUC franchised) and home made 'Yu Char Kuay".

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

The funny thing for me, I gave away free tips.. fellow sinkies thought I bullshit.. They called the Ang-mos (in property market for a mere 5yrs) an Expert.. pengz..

My company paid me a high salary, equipped me with high level tools for research.. my knowledge is backed by consultants and developers.. I attend up-to-date conference.. sadly they dont believe :( They considered it a bad investment coz I paid 50k stamp duty... As at today, my growth is no less than 100k considered my neighbour's transaction. I guess some may regret by now...

Last edited:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny thing for me, I gave away free tips.. fellow sinkies thought I bullshit.. They called the Ang-mos (in property market for a mere 5yrs) an Expert.. pengz..

My company paid me a high salary, equipped me with high level tools for research.. my knowledge is backed by consultants and developers.. I attend up-to-date conference.. sadly they dont believe :( They considered it a bad investment coz I paid 50k stamp duty... As at today, my growth is no less than 100k considered my neighbour's transaction. I guess some may regret by now...

When i came went back to Sg after my Landing to sort out all personal stuff (sell business, HDB and etc) before coming back permanently. Singaporean frog in the well mentality - "you can buy property in Canada meh", "really, your wife but she is filipino she can find a job within 4 days of landing meh". You have to be careful the white people likes to sue ya da ya da". All talk to me like i am bull shitting too. By the end of the 1st week, i just shut up and cant wait to come back here to Edmonton.

1 even pull me along to talk to a white guy (american) that claims to be from Alberta, Ca. This land salesman "hai gong" all the people with his claims -told my relative not to buy into this deal. Now sitting on Land that is brought based on promises.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its as though they had expected you to fail. I heard about it this many times before. They are not being malicious but they genuinely think that its really hard out there. They also think that people who migrate buy properties that are in a swamp, etc.

Singaporean frog in the well mentality - "you can buy property in Canada meh", "really, your wife but she is filipino she can find a job within 4 days of landing meh". You have to be careful the white people likes to sue ya da ya da". All talk to me like i am bull shitting too. By the end of the 1st week, i just shut up and cant wait to come back here to Edmonton.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These things are usually very hard as people tend to hear from a range of sources. You can get the whole treasury and central bank to come to your your house and recommend that you buy house B but your spouse who's best friend migrated 2 years before you will carry more wait.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
These things are usually very hard as people tend to hear from a range of sources..

I need frz to play majong and lim kopi.. as long as all of us gain from the process and retire happily, it should be fine.

I have spoken to many.. not all have risks appetite.. during the crisis, those who hold a stable job tend to be risk adverse but when economy is heating HOT, they start to think of investment.. Hmmm..

1) Warren Buffet once said "Be greedy when market is fearful, and be fearful when market is greedy".. ??

2) Robert Kiyosaki highlighted this is a "Wealth Exchange Period".. greedy rich will be bankrupt and prudent folks (who started to invest at this period) will gain..

Hopefully, the above 1 & 2 are right.. otherwise, I'm a dead meat...

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need frz to play majong and lim kopi.. as long as all of us gain from the process and retire happily, it should be fine.

I have spoken to many.. not all have risks appetite.. during the crisis, those who hold a stable job tend to be risk adverse but when economy is heating HOT, they start to think of investment.. Hmmm..

1) Warren Buffet once said "Be greedy when market is fearful, and be fearful when market is greedy".. ??

2) Robert Kiyosaki highlighted this is a "Wealth Exchange Period".. greedy rich will be bankrupt and prudent folks (who started to invest at this period) will gain..

Hopefully, the above 1 & 2 are right.. otherwise, I'm a dead meat...

Your point no. 2. My thoughts might be day dreaming - from what i research, i have a feeling that US is not going to do that well despite the media hype. Countries with Food, Fuel and Fertilizer will look like a genius for example oz, Ca even if the govt govern it well or not. In the worse case, when hyperinflation sets in the US. Baseing in Ca will means a better position to capture the opportunities and Hyperinflation will pass eventually.

Look no further than Agentrina - the American were flying into it buying antiques and stuff by the plane loads.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
These things are usually very hard as people tend to hear from a range of sources. You can get the whole treasury and central bank to come to your your house and recommend that you buy house B but your spouse who's best friend migrated 2 years before you will carry more wait.

bold print emphasis added by me

Brother [scroobal], I believe you mean "you will carry more weight."

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
brother [scroobal],
Are you planning to write another episode of your Tales from the Istana?
It has been a long time since I read your last part.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, political front is rather quiet. Not much material to ride on. The recently released book on the PAP might be an opportunity.

brother [scroobal],
Are you planning to write another episode of your Tales from the Istana?
It has been a long time since I read your last part.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your point no. 2. My thoughts might be day dreaming - from what i research, i have a feeling that US is not going to do that well despite the media hype. Countries with Food, Fuel and Fertilizer will look like a genius for example oz, Ca even if the govt govern it well or not. In the worse case, when hyperinflation sets in the US. Baseing in Ca will means a better position to capture the opportunities and Hyperinflation will pass eventually.

Look no further than Agentrina - the American were flying into it buying antiques and stuff by the plane loads.

Well when i say no. 2 - Investment.. it doesnt mean you have to invest into US... Asia is the key perhaps Oz and ca.. When everyone is pessimistic, it is time for buy-buy-buy... US too competitive... Canada and Australia have a lot to offer..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Catcha !.. finally this walking dictionary makes a mistake ! need me to polish up your english ? haha..