• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ATM mistake costs him $750

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,186687,00.html?

ATM mistake costs him $750
He transfers money to wrong account number but bank can't return cash to him
By Ho Lian-Yi

December 14, 2008

NP_IMAGES_LYBANK.jpg

ATM ERROR: Gerald at the POSB branch in Ang Mo Kio, where he made the wrong transfer. --TNP PICTURE: HO LIAN-YI

HE inadvertently transferred $750 to the account of a stranger - and is upset that he can't get his money back.

His bank has been unable to contact the account-holder and has told him it can't just deduct the money from the 'wrong account'.

The bank security officer, who wanted to be known only as Gerald, 32, wanted to repay a debt to his friend via electronic transfer from his POSB savings account on 21Nov.

But he keyed in a 'totally wrong' account number at a POSB ATM in Ang Mo Kio.

He made the transfer at 5.33pm but realised his mistake only after 6pm, when most bank branches are closed.

So he took the MRT and rushed to The Centrepoint POSB branch, which he knew was still open. 'I have never run so fast in my life before,' he said.

He reported the wrong fund transfer at 7.05pm.

He thought that would settle it. But when he didn't get back his money after several days, he called POSB and was told it could not simply transfer the money back as the account-holder could not be contacted.

'I thought it was clear-cut,' he said. 'So does it mean that if the person refuses to return my money, it's gone?'

The bank told him it had sent a letter and also tried calling the account-holder, but had yet to get a reply.

He was upset because he was running out of money. After the wrong transfer, he repaid his friend, which meant he had paid $1,500 in all. That's almost his entire monthly wage of about $1,600.

Gerald, who is divorced, said he was barely keeping up with the maintenance he owed his wife and 5-year-old daughter. And he had his own bills to pay.

His POSB savings account had only $3.10 left.

He said he felt like he was 'begging' the bank for his own money. 'I don't think it's right,' he said.

A spokesman for DBS, which owns POSB, said: 'The bank will need to get the authorisation of the transferee before any withdrawals can be made from his account.'

Other local banks have a similar policy.

Mr Patrick Chew, head of delivery at OCBC Bank, said it would do its best to help a customer in such a situation to retrieve his money. But it also has a responsibility to the other party.

He said: 'Banks cannot debit a customer's account simply on the instructions of another customer who claims that he has made a wrong transfer.'

He said the number of customers crediting the wrong account while making fund transfers is 'not significant'.

A United Overseas Bank spokesman also said such errors are not common.He said that if the other party refuses to return the money, UOB would inform the customer, who can then seek other means to obtain the refund.

Both banks said customers should be careful and make sure all details are correct when transferring money.

But what recourse is there once a mistake has been made?

Not so clear-cut

While it is an offence to dishonestly retain money, such cases are not so clear-cut because the account-holder needs to know that the money does not belong to him.

Lawyer SSDhillon noted that the mere fact that the money was received by the account-holder would not make it an offence if he didn't know it was not meant to be for him.

But it could be an offence if the account-holder wilfully ignores a letter from the bank informing him of the error and proceeds to spend the money. He said a civil lawsuit would be the best course of action.

DBS and POSB banks see an average of six cases of money transfers to a wrong account every day, according to a 2006 report.

This was about one in every 5,000 transfers.

The banks did not give updated figures when asked.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
this error happen cause bank employ ar neh software programmers who never serve NS who sabotage our banking system with poorly design atm software.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think in the 1st place is the customer's mistake to transfer without double checking whether the account number is correct.

If the acc number is correct and the bank send to wrong acc, then it is the bank's fault entirely and if then the bank still don't rectify, t hen it is very wrong.

Meanwhile for his situation, he has to wait for the wrong receiver to respond.

However, what the Bank should do for this guy is to in fact freeze the $750 first till the receiver respond.

Zelda

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every bank has its procedures, cannot just suka suka act swift on customer complaints. He should have been extra careful on crucial moments where half his salary goes to debt payment. What to do? so got to wait.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gerald, who is divorced, said he was barely keeping up with the maintenance he owed his wife and 5-year-old daughter. And he had his own bills to pay.

This is worse than NS.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Both banks said customers should be careful and make sure all details are correct when transferring money. ...
no matter how careful u r n how sure u make sure ur details r correct, u wil stil make mistakes ...

dunno abt other banks, but 4 posb 1, u can oni check ze numbers ... tel u ... making mistakes wif 9 numbers is quite possible ...

ze machine shld oso show ze name of ze recipient a/c holder as well ... so dat u can check dat ze name is oso correct ...

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
no matter how careful u r n how sure u make sure ur details r correct, u wil stil make mistakes ...

dunno abt other banks, but 4 posb 1, u can oni check ze numbers ... tel u ... making mistakes wif 9 numbers is quite possible ...

ze machine shld oso show ze name of ze recipient a/c holder as well ... so dat u can check dat ze name is oso correct ...

He probably got TWO numbers wrong, not one. Because one of the numbers is a check digit.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He probably got TWO numbers wrong, not one. Because one of the numbers is a check digit.

u mean ... instead of transferring 2 a, he transferred 2 b? ...

if dats ze case, showing ze name of recipient a/c holder on ze screen helps a lot ... go improve ur atm machines posb! ... :rolleyes:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
u mean ... instead of transferring 2 a, he transferred 2 b? ...

if dats ze case, showing ze name of recipient a/c holder on ze screen helps a lot ... go improve ur atm machines posb! ... :rolleyes:

Crazy. That will be a breach of banking secrecy. Would you like your full name flashed on the screen through someone entering some random numbers?

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont agree with showing customer name on the atm , like that u try transfer to me.. u will know my acct no and my name...

no confidential

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there r atms dat show ze recipient's name when u do a transfer ...

mayb u dun hv dat 4 sg banks ... but u can find in atms of maybank of msia, bangkok bank of thailand, etc ...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is worse than NS.

What do you expect of him?

To be like you force pimp your wife to prostitution in order that she can feed the kid?

C'mon he should. Maybe that is why Thailand is for pimps like you who don't wish to be responsible for pimping their wives. :biggrin:

Enjoy777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the banks can look at their software.

Key in both the Account Holder Name and Account Number.

I had such a case too. I keyed in wrong number and cannot reverse transaction.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the banks can look at their software.

Key in both the Account Holder Name and Account Number.

I had such a case too. I keyed in wrong number and cannot reverse transaction.

Actually before we send the transaction, there is a menu which tells us to double confirm the number. I think we should all partake the responsibility to double check and not take things for granted

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Intra-bank ATM transfers are preferred because they are convenient, free and immediate

For such service, there are always risks

Otherwise just stick to paying cash or writing cheques -- can't go wrong with those

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
there r atms dat show ze recipient's name when u do a transfer ...

mayb u dun hv dat 4 sg banks ... but u can find in atms of maybank of msia, bangkok bank of thailand, etc ...

Actually, this is very dangerous. If I send $10 to your account, and I get to see the name, conmen will be able to hatch plans to con the family. This is why in Malaysia there are many kind of such fraud cases.