• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Artist loses her fingers, not her talent

fighterpilot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tuesday January 25, 2011

Artist loses her fingers, not her talent

MALACCA: She has lost her fingers but can write beautiful Chinese calligraphy using her hands, feet and mouth. Holding a paintbrush between her teeth, He Yui Mei, 40, demonstrated her ability to write the words “Happy Chinese New Year” in ancient Chinese calligraphy.

The mother of two, who hails from Guangzhou, China, has travelled thousands of miles to earn a living by using her talent. “I lost my fingers at the age of 20 when a home-made firework exploded during the Chinese New Year celebrations.

artist.jpg

Extraordinary artist: He demonstrating her ability to write the words ‘Happy Chinese New Year’ in ancient Chinese calligraphy. She lost her fingers when a home-made firework exploded during a Chinese New Year celebration.

“I have learnt to paint and write using what is left of my hands ever since,” she said when met yesterday, a paintbrush firmly tied on her wrist. In addition to Chinese calligraphy, He can also paint beautiful scenery like mountains and waterfalls that are synonymous with her country of origin.

At present, she is renting a small booth at the foyer of the Dataran Pahlawan shopping mall in Bandar Hilir which is open from 10am to 10pm daily. When asked about her business she said in clear Malay: “Boleh tahan” (Not bad). Her paintings are priced at RM10 each.

He has come to Malaysia eight times over the past three years. “I like Malaysia,” she said, adding she would celebrate Chinese New Year here before returning to China in the middle of next month. —Bernama