• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Apple vs Android vs Windows 8

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was actually refering to the desktop OS win 8. People who are familiar with the Windows platform hate it because it is too unlike windows. So Microsoft is really screwed because many of their loyal customers are happy with XP or 7.

With Windows doing so badly there's no halo effect that will help Microsoft draw people to it's lumia phones.
Around last oct when windows 8 was launching, all the local retailers only sell windows 8 laptops, and windows 7 totally disappeared. Heard is because microsoft coordinated with all major manufacturers to force users to buy windows 8. By jan this year, I'm seeing windows 7 creeping back, so windows 8 must be quite a failure.

At first the idea of unifying the look across windows product looks good, until I tried it. Totally dislike the win8 interface as not efficient as tiles are spread out too much across big screen, and don't see any benefit of relearning need interface when win 7 is still very good.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The recent purchase was just to get an updated Mac hardware. I've been using Macs & PCs for 30+ years..

The only grouse I have for Mac hardware or Apple products are they are just too pricey, & their first model though miles ahead, one have to wait for their next edition for improvements. Other than that, it is much more stable than any windozed products..though I must add, they have caught up, but Apple still the king of ease of use...

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Win 8 ? Hah ! 2 weeks cannot tahan revert back to win 7 .......... :P

No farking start button wanna make comp sleep also so many steps .. hehe

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

windows button C - then click settings then..... ha ha ha , the huge START button on top left is for show only...the only thing I can never understand Windozed users ??, when XP was out, many still want to use 98 & many revert back, then windows 7 is out, many revert back to XP & now windows 8 is out, many revert back to windows 7...

might as well switch to MAC..I have not heard of any Mac Users reverting back to previous OS...like windozed users so frequently!! I have a friend who dual booted his PC between XP & 98, while during those time, mine dual booted between XP & Linux...

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....At first the idea of unifying the look across windows product looks good, until I tried it. Totally dislike the win8 interface as not efficient as tiles are spread out too much across big screen, and don't see any benefit of relearning need interface when win 7 is still very good.

There seems to be a trend with MS that the 1st release is always lousy. I'm sure people remember the failure of Vista & now it's Win 8. However this time around MS might not be able to recover since Win 7 is good enough for most users & I heard that many at MS have left the company.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can install a third-party program to bring back the Start button.

Classic Shell

Still, Win 8 offers no tangible benefits over Win 7. The faster bootup time in Win 8 is an illusion. Other than that, Win 8 has a better task manager and file transfer dialog than Win 7, that's all.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That shows there is constant innovation at Microsoft. Unlike Mac which has been same old same old for the past twenty years.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That shows there is constant innovation at Microsoft. Unlike Mac which has been same old same old for the past twenty years.

Who has a bigger market share windows or mac?

If you can get a pc for half of the price of a mac would you still get a mac?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only grouse I have for Mac hardware or Apple products are they are just too pricey, & their first model though miles ahead, one have to wait for their next edition for improvements. Other than that, it is much more stable than any windozed products..though I must add, they have caught up, but Apple still the king of ease of use...

iPad users are complaining that new models are making their HW obsolete too quickly:smile:

The Macbook pro is really a beautiful machine. The 1st thing I did was to buy protection: plastic shell, silicon keyboard cover, palm rest cover, track pad cover, slipcase sleeve. I've spent $200+ to protect my little baby:o Then I upgraded the memory from 8 to 16 GB

I don't upgrade on a regular basis & expect it to last at least 5 years or longer. I will probably get the next iPad or iPad mini. Apple is definitely still ahead when it comes to ease of use. I had no problems connecting a pair of bluetooth headphones & USB 3.0 ext HDD. While connecting the same devices to Win 7 required hunting for new drivers & the USB 3.0 HDD is still slower on Win 7.0. I still haven't figured out why I'm not getting USB3.0 performance.

I've also got Win XP loaded on it & using Parallal to run it :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

According to your definition, rearranging the deck chairs on the sinking Titanic is also an act of 'innovation'.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can MacOS on PC too. Using osx86.

Problem is when things goes wrong on Mac you dunno where the problem is. But for PC at least you can narrow down the problem.

The tradeoff for ease of use is lack of flexibility.

The newer sandbridge machines look sexy too. Google for ultra light notebooks.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can MacOS on PC too. Using osx86.

Problem is when things goes wrong on Mac you dunno where the problem is. But for PC at least you can narrow down the problem.

The tradeoff for ease of use is lack of flexibility

This has nothing to do with PCs vs Macs.

If you love Windows very much, stick with WinXP or Win7.

Win8 is shit, a worse flop than Vista or WinME.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Innovation that brings no benefits or worse, made life more difficult, is technically also called innovation. It is like PAP type of innovation that made life worse for sinkies. Example is many of superfluous hdb upgrading projects.